Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shift shaft orientation, at the stick
malcolm2
post Sep 2 2013, 09:57 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

I am installing all my shift shafts on my 75 side shift tranny. The conical set screws face down, I got that.

But where should the stick shift be when you couple the shaft to the bottom of the stick?

The shaft has very small splines on it, so it can rotate some prior to coupling.

Should I find a gear on the shift console then match that gear as i couple the shaft to the stick? Or does it matter, am I over thinking this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Clark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 2 2013, 12:55 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 2 2013, 08:57 AM) *

I am installing all my shift shafts on my 75 side shift tranny. The conical set screws face down, I got that.

But where should the stick shift be when you couple the shaft to the bottom of the stick?

The shaft has very small splines on it, so it can rotate some prior to coupling.

Should I find a gear on the shift console then match that gear as i couple the shaft to the stick? Or does it matter, am I over thinking this? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Clark

Put it in gear, put the shifter where you think it should be, tighten the clamp. Repeat until it's right.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Sep 2 2013, 01:12 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 2 2013, 01:55 PM) *

Clark

Put it in gear, put the shifter where you think it should be, tighten the clamp. Repeat until it's right.

The Cap'n

So I really won't know 'til the car moves under it's own power?

Sounds like my guess was pretty close. But I put it in neutral. I put the console shift shaft in the center and pulled it fully out. Then put the stick in neutral to the far right, between 4 and 5.

After tightening, I went thru the gears and hit them all. Maybe this thing will be moving next week and we shall see.

Thanks Cap'n.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Sep 2 2013, 01:20 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438

Clark it is kind of a Zen thing at best. Took me a lot if adjusting to get it right. I am installing a short shifter and I almost don't want to change it because it is shifting so well.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 2 2013, 02:13 PM
Post #5

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 2 2013, 02:12 PM) *

Sounds like my guess was pretty close. But I put it in neutral. I put the console shift shaft in the center and pulled it fully out. Then put the stick in neutral to the far right, between 4 and 5.

Neutral with the console shift shaft (sideshift trans) pulled out is in the 4/5 shift plane.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Razorbobsr
post Sep 3 2013, 06:17 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,813
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 2 2013, 02:55 PM) *

Clark

This past weekend the wife and I went to the Auburn Auction in Auburn Indiana, half way there[75 miles] we stopped for gas and while leaving the station I started missing shifts and having a hell of a time finding the gear that I needed. We limped in to the motel after dark and the next AM I went to looking for a problem! The long shaft that connects the tranny to the shifter has a brass bushing at the tranny end that kinda looks like a wide brimed hat, my brim was broken off[shinny broken metal] and the shifting shaft was flopping all around[What is this brass bushing called?] The set pin also has some plan in it[Name?] Tricks to fixing this? Drove the car home so dont think I damaged anything..... Thanks, Bob Arnett
The Cap'n

+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 3 2013, 06:58 AM
Post #7

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Sep 3 2013, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 2 2013, 02:55 PM) *

Clark

The Cap'n

This past weekend the wife and I went to the Auburn Auction in Auburn Indiana, half way there[75 miles] we stopped for gas and while leaving the station I started missing shifts and having a hell of a time finding the gear that I needed. We limped in to the motel after dark and the next AM I went to looking for a problem! The long shaft that connects the tranny to the shifter has a brass bushing at the tranny end that kinda looks like a wide brimed hat, my brim was broken off[shinny broken metal] and the shifting shaft was flopping all around[What is this brass bushing called?] The set pin also has some plan in it[Name?] Tricks to fixing this? Drove the car home so dont think I damaged anything..... Thanks, Bob Arnett

fixed that for ya. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The original console bushings were plastic. Brass ones are available from several sources.
The hole in the aluminum consoles tends to ovalize over time so we like to JB weld the plastic bushings in the consoles to eliminate free play. The bronze bushings are usually oversize and require some material removal to fit in place.

Set pin = Cone screw?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:06 PM