Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift shaft orientation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I am installing all my shift shafts on my 75 side shift tranny. The conical set screws face down, I got that.

But where should the stick shift be when you couple the shaft to the bottom of the stick?

The shaft has very small splines on it, so it can rotate some prior to coupling.

Should I find a gear on the shift console then match that gear as i couple the shaft to the stick? Or does it matter, am I over thinking this? WTF.gif

Clark
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 2 2013, 08:57 AM) *

I am installing all my shift shafts on my 75 side shift tranny. The conical set screws face down, I got that.

But where should the stick shift be when you couple the shaft to the bottom of the stick?

The shaft has very small splines on it, so it can rotate some prior to coupling.

Should I find a gear on the shift console then match that gear as i couple the shaft to the stick? Or does it matter, am I over thinking this? WTF.gif

Clark

Put it in gear, put the shifter where you think it should be, tighten the clamp. Repeat until it's right.

The Cap'n
malcolm2
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 2 2013, 01:55 PM) *

Clark

Put it in gear, put the shifter where you think it should be, tighten the clamp. Repeat until it's right.

The Cap'n

So I really won't know 'til the car moves under it's own power?

Sounds like my guess was pretty close. But I put it in neutral. I put the console shift shaft in the center and pulled it fully out. Then put the stick in neutral to the far right, between 4 and 5.

After tightening, I went thru the gears and hit them all. Maybe this thing will be moving next week and we shall see.

Thanks Cap'n.
Mblizzard
Clark it is kind of a Zen thing at best. Took me a lot if adjusting to get it right. I am installing a short shifter and I almost don't want to change it because it is shifting so well.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 2 2013, 02:12 PM) *

Sounds like my guess was pretty close. But I put it in neutral. I put the console shift shaft in the center and pulled it fully out. Then put the stick in neutral to the far right, between 4 and 5.

Neutral with the console shift shaft (sideshift trans) pulled out is in the 4/5 shift plane.
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 2 2013, 02:55 PM) *

Clark

This past weekend the wife and I went to the Auburn Auction in Auburn Indiana, half way there[75 miles] we stopped for gas and while leaving the station I started missing shifts and having a hell of a time finding the gear that I needed. We limped in to the motel after dark and the next AM I went to looking for a problem! The long shaft that connects the tranny to the shifter has a brass bushing at the tranny end that kinda looks like a wide brimed hat, my brim was broken off[shinny broken metal] and the shifting shaft was flopping all around[What is this brass bushing called?] The set pin also has some plan in it[Name?] Tricks to fixing this? Drove the car home so dont think I damaged anything..... Thanks, Bob Arnett
The Cap'n

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Razorbobsr @ Sep 3 2013, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 2 2013, 02:55 PM) *

Clark

The Cap'n

This past weekend the wife and I went to the Auburn Auction in Auburn Indiana, half way there[75 miles] we stopped for gas and while leaving the station I started missing shifts and having a hell of a time finding the gear that I needed. We limped in to the motel after dark and the next AM I went to looking for a problem! The long shaft that connects the tranny to the shifter has a brass bushing at the tranny end that kinda looks like a wide brimed hat, my brim was broken off[shinny broken metal] and the shifting shaft was flopping all around[What is this brass bushing called?] The set pin also has some plan in it[Name?] Tricks to fixing this? Drove the car home so dont think I damaged anything..... Thanks, Bob Arnett

fixed that for ya. smile.gif

The original console bushings were plastic. Brass ones are available from several sources.
The hole in the aluminum consoles tends to ovalize over time so we like to JB weld the plastic bushings in the consoles to eliminate free play. The bronze bushings are usually oversize and require some material removal to fit in place.

Set pin = Cone screw?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.