Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Stud remover, Yes, I know you can buy this from Snap On
worn
post Sep 10 2013, 09:56 AM
Post #1

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I wanted to pull the studs from a transmission case so I wouldn't poke my eye out with the darn things and while it wears the magnesium it also shows when there isn't any really left in the threads. there - the excuses, version 1.

So I got 1 bolt and 1 nut and set the lathe for stun, er taper cut.

The nut and the bolt are tapered so there is a countersink in the large nut and a fly-head screw look to the bolt. BTW the nut is a loose fit over the bolt - they aren't matched.
Attached Image

While I was at it I drilled straight into the top of the bolt to allow for thread tapping.

Off the lathe, the hole in the top of the bolt was tapped to fit the stud - this was 8 mm, but I am gunning for 911 head studs eventually. I used a slotting wheel on the angle grinder to make an X cut down the length. Then I added a nut that does fit the bolt. Whoops, didn't go down far enough so another loose nut was added as a spacer. This is what it looked like in action.

Attached Image

Unfortunately I pinned a nut to allow for wrenching so it doesn't come apart and the pix aren't so great, but here is the stud.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 12:15 PM