Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stud remover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
I wanted to pull the studs from a transmission case so I wouldn't poke my eye out with the darn things and while it wears the magnesium it also shows when there isn't any really left in the threads. there - the excuses, version 1.

So I got 1 bolt and 1 nut and set the lathe for stun, er taper cut.

The nut and the bolt are tapered so there is a countersink in the large nut and a fly-head screw look to the bolt. BTW the nut is a loose fit over the bolt - they aren't matched.
Click to view attachment

While I was at it I drilled straight into the top of the bolt to allow for thread tapping.

Off the lathe, the hole in the top of the bolt was tapped to fit the stud - this was 8 mm, but I am gunning for 911 head studs eventually. I used a slotting wheel on the angle grinder to make an X cut down the length. Then I added a nut that does fit the bolt. Whoops, didn't go down far enough so another loose nut was added as a spacer. This is what it looked like in action.

Click to view attachment

Unfortunately I pinned a nut to allow for wrenching so it doesn't come apart and the pix aren't so great, but here is the stud.
Click to view attachment
bulitt
You know you can buy that from Snap-On ? confused24.gif

lol-2.gif
SLITS
You made a collet style stud remover. Only about $400 from SnapOn (unit + thread)
worn
QUOTE(bulitt @ Sep 10 2013, 08:07 AM) *

You know you can buy that from Snap-On ? confused24.gif

lol-2.gif

OMG, I could have bought it!!? Oh no!

Well I was surprised that I could actually complete it in about an hour - real clock time. I generally underestimate the time my projects take by a factor of 5.
stugray
Nice!
One way I have done it and worked great (suggested by another 914world member):

Take a nut for the stud you want to extract.
using a hacksaw, cut through one side of the nut along the bolt axis.
Leave the other side of the nut intact.
Thread the "sliced nut' over the stud & clamp with vise grips.
Since the nut is sliced down one side, it will compress over the threads.
If you want the tool to be permanent, weld the nut onto the vise grips, then cut it all the way through.
sixnotfour
Two nuts tighten agianst each other works good too.

I do have the old snap-on stud and dowel remover, way better than the one they sell now IMHO.
Nine_14
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 10 2013, 10:45 PM) *

agree.gif

Why doing it easily when it also works complicated dry.gif
worn
QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Sep 10 2013, 12:53 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 10 2013, 10:45 PM) *

agree.gif

Why doing it easily when it also works complicated dry.gif

I do that. The stud I showed was going to be distorted by the simple method. I have done that too, where the stud is more than willing to ruin two perfectly nice matching nuts and itself as well, just in order to stay put. And then the vice grips and the torch and the pain and the slow weeping in the corner. Wait, I think I went too far. w00t.gif
sixnotfour
Like you siad it only took an hour to make, not bad beerchug.gif
pcar916
Looks good! Didja' heat-treat the collet?
Dr Evil
Group buy? confused24.gif
worn
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Sep 10 2013, 03:15 PM) *

Looks good! Didja' heat-treat the collet?

No, but I remember learning about case nite at Bellingham, where I took only shop and my son got an ME, so either that or grade 8 , or both might be good. Also the angle. I was stunned that it worked first try. I can think of many easy improvements.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.