Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I hope to be returning, 914 Less for about 2 years
drive-ability
post Sep 19 2013, 12:48 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,782

A quick video of the car in my garage !!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRuOSpmvkIA
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Sep 22 2013, 09:34 PM
Post #22

Here is a view of the rear suspension, I'm now looking over every nut and bolt.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i60.photobucket.com-3782-1379907273.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 22 2013, 09:45 PM
Post #23

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

Awesome!

That's the kind of project I need. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Get that thing running!!!
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Sep 22 2013, 10:25 PM
Post #24

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Sep 14 2013, 09:56 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 14 2013, 07:23 PM) *

Just don't go to walmart with this one....

Wow you remember,
every time I drive into the Walmart parking lot I started to get stressed. For the longest time the burn spot was visible on the black-top. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I didn't set foot in that parking lot for almost a year. I would have liked to have stuffed my old neighbor in the car just before it went up in flames. That way my car wouldn't have died in vane !!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (Just kidding NSA)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imageshack.us-3782-1379221002.1.jpg)

Nice project.

There's a Wallmart in Orange County?
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Sep 22 2013, 11:01 PM
Post #25

QUOTE(914_teener @ Sep 22 2013, 09:25 PM) *

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Sep 14 2013, 09:56 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 14 2013, 07:23 PM) *

Just don't go to walmart with this one....

Wow you remember,
every time I drive into the Walmart parking lot I started to get stressed. For the longest time the burn spot was visible on the black-top. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I didn't set foot in that parking lot for almost a year. I would have liked to have stuffed my old neighbor in the car just before it went up in flames. That way my car wouldn't have died in vane !!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (Just kidding NSA)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imageshack.us-3782-1379221002.1.jpg)

Nice project.

There's a Wallmart in Orange County?

Walmart ? I don't need no stinking Walmart ! Well sometimes I get Freon there prices are good. Now I am looking over the engine, I have two sets of heads one stock and one is Zo6 / & ported. I'm thinking the stock ones will be fine. This engine (LSx) is new to me don't want to brake anything. Funny my wife thinks the 914 is the ugliest car period ! Oh well don't have to worry about her as a passenger. you should here her in the CL65, anytime I get on the throttle she screams I'm about to jump out of my seat. She would pass-out if I really nailed it on a cool night with the trac control off. I dont want to go there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Sep 26 2013, 01:00 AM
Post #26

I have decided to remove the single bar shifter and go with a cable unit. I've seen a unit sold by a few vendors and they all look the same as to one sold by Cableshif.com.
Has anyone used any of there shifters ? BTW, they need to hire a photo guy the product is the shifters not the transmissions !!!!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i75.photobucket.com-3782-1380178820.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Sep 26 2013, 08:28 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You can get a cable shift out of a junk yard that will work great. I thought you were using a G50? Isn't that a cable shift tranny? Guess I need to read through your drivetrain info again. The boxer setup would work great. From shifter back is damn near perfect. Right length on the cables.
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Sep 28 2013, 02:00 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 26 2013, 07:28 AM) *

You can get a cable shift out of a junk yard that will work great. I thought you were using a G50? Isn't that a cable shift tranny? Guess I need to read through your drivetrain info again. The boxer setup would work great. From shifter back is damn near perfect. Right length on the cables.

I am using a G-50, the car came with a unfinished shaft style system. I think shifting is so important and building systems take so long getting one from someone who has done the R&R is worth the extra expense. Saving money using a used part is great as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Sep 28 2013, 08:51 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 2,922

Wow that is an awesome project! Can't wait to see it done...

You might want to tape up those intake ports on the motor before you get too much junk in your motor... or drop a nut in there. I'd probably turn the motor over by hand a couple times too, to make sure the previous owner didn't drop anything in there either.
+Quote Post
Nürburg Nomad
post Sep 28 2013, 09:14 AM
Post #30

914Rubber.com!

Member No.: 11,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I agree with the above comment! ^^^ and yes, while this is no doubt a lot of work ahead it looks like a project with an amazing foundation!

I would personally go for installing those Z06 heads, especially if you already have them. That motor takes very well to modifications and I don't think factory Z06 heads would be excessive relative to reliability. Either way... oodles of power!
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 28 2013, 09:20 AM
Post #31

Resident Electrician

Just find a 2005-2008 Cayman S or Boxster S, 6 speed. You won't have to flip it and the shifting R&D is already done. I think the starter is in the right place (or close).

That's what I did... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
EDIT it comes with 108mm axle flanges that mate with 911/930 CV's
Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Nürburg Nomad
post Sep 28 2013, 10:48 AM
Post #32

914Rubber.com!

Member No.: 11,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Ooooo... what he said! ^^^ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Sep 28 2013, 02:59 PM
Post #33

The Caymon S transmission, is it as robust as the G-50 ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) How about the bolt pattern and price ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 28 2013, 03:55 PM
Post #34

Resident Electrician

The Cayman S is a GETRAG 466. Plenty stout. You would need a new adapter but you would not have to run it upside down. I got mine for $1000 shipped to my door. Most on ebay go for around $3000. What is the G50 worth? Sell it.
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Sep 29 2013, 05:02 PM
Post #35

It's always best to use parts as designed by the factory. Meaning a non flip and factory shift linkage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I think my G-50 is worth about 1,500. Where can I get an adaptor for the LS1 to the Cayman S ? I haven't bought the clutch packages yet so now is the time to change course. Wonder, is the flywheel set up for the G-50 will work ? To me its critical for the shifting to be perfect. My old 930 box was a bit cumbersome and slow unless you just slam things around, it took all I could give it however (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) My bet is the freeway rpm @ 70 mph would also be much better. Meaning lower RPM compared to the G-50. Again a very important feature !
I'll call Renegade maybe they can shine some light on the subject.

+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 29 2013, 05:59 PM
Post #36

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Sep 29 2013, 04:02 PM) *

It's always best to use parts as designed by the factory. Meaning a non flip and factory shift linkage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I think my G-50 is worth about 1,500. Where can I get an adaptor for the LS1 to the Cayman S ? I haven't bought the clutch packages yet so now is the time to change course. Wonder, is the flywheel set up for the G-50 will work ? To me its critical for the shifting to be perfect. My old 930 box was a bit cumbersome and slow unless you just slam things around, it took all I could give it however (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) My bet is the freeway rpm @ 70 mph would also be much better. Meaning lower RPM compared to the G-50. Again a very important feature !

Kennedy Engineered Products will have the adapter, flywheel, clutch, etc...

My tranny shifts perfect. Like a Cayman S...
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Sep 29 2013, 11:08 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 29 2013, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Sep 29 2013, 04:02 PM) *

Kennedy Engineered Products will have the adapter, flywheel, clutch, etc...

My tranny shifts perfect. Like a Cayman S...

What engine are you running now ? Can you post or send me some pictures of your car and the transmission ? Thanks for the information !!!!

email stdot John at cox dot net
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 30 2013, 07:17 PM
Post #38

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Sep 29 2013, 10:08 PM) *

What engine are you running now ? Can you post or send me some pictures of your car and the transmission ? Thanks for the information !!!!

email stdot John at cox dot net

I cheated, sort of. I'm running an Audi 1.8T that happens to have the same bolt pattern as the Cayman S transmission. A direct bolt on conversion. Here is a pic of the engine and the old 5 speed. The 6 speed looks similar...

Attached Image

Here is the 5 speed on the Left and 6 speed on Right

Attached Image

Here is the 6 speed side view.

Attached Image

This is a very similar tranny to the Audi 01E that Andys is running with his LS1 914. The 01E is more pricey and harder to find since it is a Euro FWD only tranny. he Cayman S & Boxster S is a Getrag 466 which is also available with some Audi A8 vehicles. The Porsche version of the 466 comes with 108mm flanges. Not sure what the Audi version comes with. I bolted 930 CV's right to the flanges with 6 bolts in lieu of the stock 930 4 bolts and 2 pins.

Another alternative is importing an Audi TDI 5 speed from Europe. You will only have 5 gears but the ratios are almost perfect for a V8 AND the trannys go for around $400 with another $300 for shipping. Very stout trannys. The TDI 5 speed is hard to find in the US but UK ebay has a ton of them. That is where I got my 466. Mine was $700+$300 to ship.
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Sep 30 2013, 10:29 PM
Post #39

I see, nice to see things bolt up !! You got yours using Ebay - UK ? Interesting way. I see most USA G-466 units are around 22 to 29 hundred bucks. I don't want to get everything together and have it not work correctly. Add a few K and things work great, I've got to go that way !!!! Time to make more money (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 1 2013, 04:01 PM
Post #40

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Sep 30 2013, 09:29 PM) *

I see, nice to see things bolt up !! You got yours using Ebay - UK ? Interesting way. I see most USA G-466 units are around 22 to 29 hundred bucks. I don't want to get everything together and have it not work correctly. Add a few K and things work great, I've got to go that way !!!! Time to make more money (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Trannies are cheaper in the UK. I was a little worried at the low price but I figured I could sell it as a core here and just about break even. TNT air shipped the tranny for just under $300. It arrived in the US in about 4 days and I picked it up at their warehouse 10 miles from my work.

BTW, the shift pattern is the same as in the US. Only the steering wheel and pedals are on the wrong side. Some think the pattern is reversed in the UK. It is not, for any car that I am aware of.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:01 AM