Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V-TEC power, what do you think???
mattillac
post Dec 15 2004, 01:25 PM
Post #1

robots!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,020

anybody heard of a V-TEC conversion for the 914. KEP could probably come up with an adapter if he doesn't have one already. but, will a front drive motor work with a rear drive tranny? does the crankshaft spin in the same direction? anyone hear of any other front drive engine conversions? my 914 deserves more power than i can afford to get out of my type 4 motor. for the cost of nickies and upright cooling and head work, etc. i could have a turbo vtec setup.

fire away... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dlo914
post Dec 15 2004, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Whatchu' lookin' at?!?!

Member No.: 2,697

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) ricer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Dec 15 2004, 01:45 PM
Post #3

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Many fwd engines do spin in the right direction, but Hondas are weird, and a lot of them spin the wrong way. This can still be fixed. One can use a 915 gearbox w/o flipping the diff, or you can flip the diff on a 914 gearbox.

The next step is figuring out if the engine will even clear everything in the engine bay. Some inline fours are too long to fit w/o lots of cutting. The turbo Soob engines fit well, and make lots of power.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 15 2004, 01:47 PM
Post #4

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Blasphemizer!!! You'll roast in 914 hell for it!

Now that being said, there is (was?) a kit at KEP for such a swap, but you will have to get a 911 tranny, or flip the ring gear as the 4cyl Hon-duhs turn the other way (they're just funny that way). If you want more HP for less $$ and you want something unique that will enrage the purists, I have a corvair engine that will bolt up with less modification (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I have it rigged to turn the right way and to put out 170-180hp.

What do you figure a V-Tech conversion would cost? Always double that amount.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 15 2004, 01:52 PM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Buy muellers engine adapter and all. Vr6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 15 2004, 01:59 PM
Post #6

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Muellers selling the VR6!? What happened?
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 15 2004, 02:09 PM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Check the Classifieds

FS: '74 chassis, w/cage and sorted suspension bunch of pictures Mueller
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Dec 15 2004, 02:09 PM
Post #8

robots!

i thought a v-tec conversion would enrage the purists enough? guess i was wrong.
i like the v-tec cause its got a billion hop-up parts and lately i've been drooling over variable valve timing engines.
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Dec 15 2004, 02:18 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 538

A billion and one "bling bling - makah no power" parts you mean. I don't count turbo's as a special "hop up part" for a Honda because you can turbo any car. Most of the Honda stuff is relegated to bolt on headers, intakes, etc. If you are going to go turbo with an engine transplant stick to a motor that was turbo'd to begin with. Perhaps a 3SGTE from Toyota. I actually bought one for my 914 but sold it when I got my 20b. As for the whole Vtec thing - highly overated in my opinion. All you get is a little power surge in a small part of your powerband. Mostly marketing hype.
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Dec 15 2004, 02:26 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,533
Region Association: None

It seems the money that isn't being figured is the conversion materials. Motor to motor a (stock) T4 sucks cost and power-wise against a V-TEC, but if you figure all the $$$ and time spent on installing said V-TEC, you'd be equal with a built T4, for less effort. Then there's the whole down-time component of converting to a different motor. blah, blah, blah...
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Dec 15 2004, 02:27 PM
Post #11

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(mattillac @ Dec 15 2004, 01:09 PM)
i thought a v-tec conversion would enrage the purists enough? guess i was wrong.
i like the v-tec cause its got a billion hop-up parts and lately i've been drooling over variable valve timing engines.

Sell your 14, buy a Honda and be happy!

True sports cars were about handling as opposed to horsepower.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 15 2004, 02:41 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

yep...VR6 engine and adapter are for sale (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)....175 hp stock and you keep the car German powered (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif) (I'm going with a 2316 Type IV)

as said before, the 4 banger hondas turn the wrong direction (the V6 go the correct way), you are on your own for motor mounts and how to wire it up to your car to get it running...about the only thing you can use knowledge wise from other swaps is how to do the cooling (complete kits or Mickey Mouse Engineering (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Dec 15 2004, 02:48 PM
Post #13

That's too bad. I was hoping to see the VR6 install thread. The only Honda motor that I know of that goes the right direction is out of the S2000. But for the price of one of those you would be better off with a Porsche 6.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 15 2004, 02:53 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(soloracer @ Dec 15 2004, 01:48 PM)
That's too bad. I was hoping to see the VR6 install thread. The only Honda motor that I know of that goes the right direction is out of the S2000. But for the price of one of those you would be better off with a Porsche 6.

I'm a little disappointed as well, but the more I thought about it, the VR6 engine swap would just be a novelty with no real value except bragging rights perhaps??
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 15 2004, 02:55 PM
Post #15

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 15 2004, 12:27 PM)

True sports cars were about handling as opposed to horsepower.

Balderdash...... tell it to Ferrari.

That was a line promougated by old European (mostly English) car fanatics who had (via tax laws) no horsepower to speak of.
Oddly enuff, most all of these wankers worked real hard to get more power into these shitboxes.

Horsepower is now and will always be.....glorius. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Dec 15 2004, 03:16 PM
Post #16

robots!

VR6 = $$$. i'm leaning towards the honda because i have a few "hook-ups" for parts and engines. i agree with the bling bling parts, but the fact is that there is a wide selection of parts to choose from, and not all of it is bling bling. i don't think the v-tec is hype, its just a different way of squeezing horsepower out of a small engine. i'd probably wouldn't even go the turbo route if i got the v-tec, i'm just saying that to get a similar amount of power out of the type 4, i could have a turbo motor that would be smokin' that expensive type 4.

the motor mounts is something that would be a challenge though. and i was thinking about the 3sgte motor too. but, that 3sgte isn't all that cheap or easy to come by either. maybe an sr20det?

oh i feel so ricer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) shame on me.
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Dec 15 2004, 03:32 PM
Post #17

You have to remember it's not just peak numbers that count. That is something that the Honda crowd has been sold on for years. Making 200 hp over 200 rpm is not useful for anything other than bragging rights. Take a look at the new Celica. A friend of mine bought one and it's a dog until the varible valve timing kicks in. He has to shift almost immediately after it hits though and then he's back out of his powerband. A stock 140 hp 13b RX7 from 1987 stayed with him all the way through the gears even though his car is advertised to have "190 hp".

I bought my 3SGTE for $1100 and sold it for $1300. They aren't that hard to find. A nissan engine would be nice - a member here has a Maxima engine in his 914. They make power the old fashioned way - displacement or forced induction.
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Dec 15 2004, 03:44 PM
Post #18

robots!

i wouldn't mind having the nissan motor, but again, cost and availability for me are the issues. it would probably be simpler to mount a RWD motor, but like i said i have good resources for the honda stuff. and i don't mind wringing my motor silly in order to make power. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) did you have any ideas on mounting the mr2 motor? i do work at a toyota dealer, so the 3sgte might not be that bad of an idea either.

anyone want to buy a 2.0 type4 with complete fi and alot of new parts? lemme know.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 15 2004, 03:45 PM
Post #19

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Sung to the tune of "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice.

"Rice Rice Baby...... Rice Rice Baby"

Don't be a rice boy... if you gotta go conversion, go for the mega-HP. Put a 502 Chebbie Rat motor with a blower in a 914! Now that would be "overkill"..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Dec 15 2004, 03:51 PM
Post #20

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

I think: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 12:08 AM