Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V-TEC power, what do you think???
Mueller
post Dec 16 2004, 08:31 PM
Post #81

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

for a "normal" engine spinning the conventional direction...any use of a transmission previously installed tin a 911 will require the ring and pinion flip...unless you run the transmission upside down...of course that is another story and if you have ask how, don't bother doing the swap, it's not for you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Dec 16 2004, 11:47 PM
Post #82

robots!

Member No.: 3,020

still wondering if flipping the ring and pinion will require any tranny mods.

the SR20DET is a pretty tempting option. but boost is something i have zero experience with. then again, i've never done an engine swap either. anyone got a line on JDM nissan motors?

as far as engine electronics go, i would like to think it's as easy as making sure that i have a complete fi system and just making sure everything is wired to where it needs to go on the engine, add power and go....sorry. i drifted off into dream land again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 17 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #83

914 Freak!

I don't think you have to "modify" anything to do the "flip", however, you need to ensure that the teeth mesh up correctly.....I've taken apart a bad 914 transmission and that is about my experiance with them, you might need special tools to do it correct so it might not be something that can be done in a day while sitting on the workbench

as far as engine electronics go, i would like to think it's as easy as making sure that i have a complete fi system and just making sure everything is wired to where it needs to go on the engine, add power and go....sorry. i drifted off into dream land again

so have they made crack legal in vallejo??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

it's possible, but it'll be tough, there is another member here that put an Audi 1.8T motor into his 914 and is running the factory Audi brain, as long as you can get some documents on the Honda stuff it shouldn't be too bad, luckly there are tons of websites for them so there has to be someone that knows the wiring to the ECU and motor.

so yes, you know it can be done, when are you going to pick up and engine and start????

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
bondo
post Dec 17 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #84

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Everything you need to know about VTEC transplants

Brace yourself before watching this one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 17 2004, 07:40 AM
Post #85

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(mattillac @ Dec 16 2004, 11:47 PM)
still wondering if flipping the ring and pinion will require any tranny mods.

Flipping the ring and pinion in a 901 is not a difficult task if you have the correct tools. But it is tedious if you don't have experience.

Here's the thing to remember... IF YOU USE A 914 TRANSMISSION, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FLIP THE RING AND PINION."

Flipping the ring and pinion has absolutely no effect on the direction the input shaft of the transmission spins. It just reverses the direction the output flanges spin.

Every engine built by Porsche or VW spins the same way. Therefore, all of the parts in the transmission were designed to accept stresses from the proper rotation direction. Yes, you can flip the ring and pinion, and hook a motor that spins the other direction to it. But It will probably break. And if it doesn't, It will be very hard to shift, the gears will grind, and the life of the gearbox will be reduced signifigantly. Think about this, we have vendors out there that make billett intermediate plates for the 901 because of wear problems when spun in the correct direction.
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Dec 17 2004, 09:57 AM
Post #86

robots!

cracks never been legal in vallejo. but, it's cheap and easy to get, so why not?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) gotta get past january, then i should have the extra money to start collecting the parts.
time to start looking at some v8 and subby conversions and check out their cooling systems.
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Dec 17 2004, 06:38 PM
Post #87

robots!

so from what i've gathered, it seems that i can get my wheels to turn the correct way, but i'll still be spinning my tranny internals in reverse. not something i want to do. i'd rather not go to all the trouble of doing the swap and then bust my tranny. even if it doesn't bust the tranny, it's not something i want in the back of my mind. especially when spinning that vtec motor up high. oh well.

i had always considered the subby conversion. seems like a mo' betta way to go. but getting my hands on a complete turbo motor with ecu and all probably aint gonna be as cheap as i could get the honda stuff for. time to check ebay/craigslist.
+Quote Post
soloracer
post Dec 17 2004, 08:30 PM
Post #88

Member No.: 538

If you are looking for a suby engine (twin turbo) there was one for sale somewhere with the adapter plates for a 901 or 915 transmission. I think I posted about it here a while back. I can't remember if it was a classifieds section somewhere or on e-bay.
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Dec 18 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #89

robots!

found some ej20 engines on ebay for a decent price, but they dont come with the complete ecu. i should probably just save up my pennies for some wrecked donor car and just buy the whole thing. then i'll know everything is there. that would be easier i think. just pick and choose what i need and take it off.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 18 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #90

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

OR ,
It turns the right direction,

[QUOTE]was thinking that economically , I bet that the VR6 set up is priced right , and is different.
Thats .002 cents please
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Dec 18 2004, 01:01 AM
Post #91

914 Freak!

[quote=sixnotfour,Dec 17 2004, 11:52 PM] OR ,
It turns the right direction,

[QUOTE]was thinking that economically , I bet that the VR6 set up is priced right , and is different.
Thats .002 cents please [/quote]
"they" might even throw in free shipping for you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:49 AM