Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Renn shifter install
partwerks
post Sep 22 2013, 09:13 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,787

QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 22 2013, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(JWest @ Sep 22 2013, 06:13 PM) *

QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 22 2013, 09:39 AM) *

Finally invested in a Renn shifter, and hopefully will put to bed all those shifting woes once and for all!!

Not that my mechanic doesn't know what he is doing, but are there any off the wall issues that might be good to know before we start the project?? I have all new bushings otherwise.

Mechanics tend to do a bad install more then novices, because they won't read the instructions and specifics, but novices are careful, pay attention, and this is just not that difficult. Some mistakes I have seen:

The metal bushing in the bottom of your shifter needs to be moved over to the RennShift with the shift rod clevis.

Adjust so the shift stick does not move to either side when engaging 2nd gear - the gear slot in the trans should align with the shifter springs.

Back off the stops so they are not touching during full engagement, as above.

I'll skip over the first line for the mechanic, but pass along the extra tips part, just in case!!

I wonder how that's going to work, since my first gear is capped off, and actually use what would be second gear for first, and so on? How will that work on adjusting it?? I may as well try and get some of these questions answered before the fact!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom
post Sep 22 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626
Region Association: None

Just as a by the way, an early 80's 911 SC boot caps off the renn shifter very nice.
Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
naro914
post Sep 23 2013, 05:43 AM
Post #23

Losing my mind...

Member No.: 6,073
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 22 2013, 11:03 PM) *

Cause Huey shifts nice, but eats motors....

Papa eats motors, not Huey... 3 this year...he's been hungry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
TomR
post Sep 23 2013, 06:03 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 12,117

I had my mechanic install my rennshift. He did a great job. Definitely better than I would have! Shifter works excellently. Huge improvement over stock. I didn't change anything behind firewall either b/c I wanted to see how big a difference the shifter alone made. I recommend this upgrade for anyone who dislikes the vagueness of the stock 901.
+Quote Post
JWest
post Sep 23 2013, 07:08 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 97

QUOTE(partwerks @ Sep 22 2013, 10:13 PM) *

I wonder how that's going to work, since my first gear is capped off, and actually use what would be second gear for first, and so on? How will that work on adjusting it?? I may as well try and get some of these questions answered before the fact!

With a locked-out 1st gear, the auto-reverse lockout will not function, as it is primed or cocked when in the first gear slot. You can use the manual lockout, or you can simply stiffen the spring for the reverse gate with the included shims.

I didn't mean to be harsh generalizing about all paid mechanics. But those have been the worst offenders and the customers who are apprehensive usually do a fine job. I have also had many instances of pros buying shifters from me after being impressed with the result of one they installed for a customer.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 23 2013, 07:09 AM
Post #26

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 23 2013, 07:43 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 22 2013, 11:03 PM) *

Cause Huey shifts nice, but eats motors....

Papa eats motors, not Huey... 3 this year...he's been hungry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

If that is the one you flipped, its mad.

If its not the one you flipped, it may be time to flip it head over heals a few times to teach it to behave.

Sometimes cars start getting to be picky...stuff it into a barrier, just enough to change the relationship.

rich
+Quote Post
JWest
post Sep 23 2013, 07:12 AM
Post #27

QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 22 2013, 10:35 PM) *

Just as a by the way, an early 80's 911 SC boot caps off the renn shifter very nice.
Tom

Yes, and they are suprisingly inexpensive. Porsche part# 911-424-181-01.

The RennShift does come with its own boot, but if you are after a more of a factory appearance this works well.
+Quote Post
rwilner
post Sep 23 2013, 06:55 PM
Post #28

No Ghosts in the Machine

Member No.: 11,530
Region Association: North East States

Make sure your clutch tube is fully welded at all the right points.

With the rennshift, the shift rod will sit lower in the tunnel. If your clutch tube has let go at the front, you may not be able to get into the 4/5 plane.

Other than that, I highly recommend you install it yourself. It's simple to do, rewarding, and you will know it's done right. The job isn't even greasy...you don't even need to jack the car up. Plus, you can tweak the shifter adjustment until it's perfect after driving in real world conditions.
+Quote Post
El_Duderino
post Sep 27 2013, 09:32 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 16,421
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 22 2013, 12:04 PM) *

Doc Evil's signature block. Look at the bottom of any of his posts.

--DD

Don't believe there are any links in his signature anymore.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 27 2013, 10:48 AM
Post #30

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Sorry, I just looked and his sig now says "PM me for a copy". So PM him.

--DD
+Quote Post
ww914
post Oct 5 2013, 02:02 PM
Post #31

914 Convert

Member No.: 13,621
Region Association: Central California

With a locked-out 1st gear, the auto-reverse lockout will not function, as it is primed or cocked when in the first gear slot. You can use the manual lockout, or you can simply stiffen the spring for the reverse gate with the included shims.

I didn't mean to be harsh generalizing about all paid mechanics. But those have been the worst offenders and the customers who are apprehensive usually do a fine job. I have also had many instances of pros buying shifters from me after being impressed with the result of one they installed for a customer.

I have to tell you Mr. J West Engineering, I was not impressed with your answer to my request from your company for some replacement parts for my Rennshifter. I asked if I could buy a new lock out lever as I felt mine was worn out. I bought my shifter secondhand on this forum and while it works OK, I felt it needed some help since I didn't know how old it was. I auto-cross my car and it is very important to me not to grind going into 2nd with a fast shift. While I think I have my shifter aligned correctly, I wanted to replace some worn parts and pick up some shims that your instructions refer to that didn't come with my purchase. After several questions and responses from you, I simply asked if I could buy those parts. You never answered me. Am I in the category of the mechanic that doesn't know what he is doing?
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Oct 5 2013, 07:35 PM
Post #32

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Question for James; I installed the Rennshift 5 years ago ad it has worked fine. Forgot the details of how I adjusted it; but feel it needs a slight adjustment at this point.
How should I go about this ?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 5 2013, 09:42 PM
Post #33

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

For people that have to remove R lockout to get it to work right, this is an indication of not having things properly aligned. I can install and perfectly adjust a stock unit in minutes, the Renn sometimes gives me a hassle, but it is not difficult to instal with instructions. Even better with know-how. Keep reverse lockout, adjust correctly.
+Quote Post
ww914
post Oct 6 2013, 07:28 AM
Post #34

914 Convert

Member No.: 13,621
Region Association: Central California

With the risk of taking a cheap shot, I will offer my experience.

The Rennshift shifter adjustment instructions are pretty vague. They tell you to perform shifter adjustments in the center plane and then they say it requires trial and error and doing road tests. Trial and error of what? If you don't have a good understanding of the shift plane, indeed it is a frustrating trial and error experience.

After I read Dr Evil's explanation of what the shift plane is, with illustrations, it was quite easy to get everything lined up, however as I stated earlier, my reverse lock out mechanism is very sloppy and I don't fully trust it, but I wouldn't remove it.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 6 2013, 07:51 AM
Post #35

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(ww914 @ Oct 6 2013, 09:28 AM) *

The Rennshift shifter adjustment instructions are pretty vague. They tell you to perform shifter adjustments in the center plane and then they say it requires trial and error and doing road tests. Trial and error of what? If you don't have a good understanding of the shift plane, indeed it is a frustrating trial and error experience.

After I read Dr Evil's explanation of what the shift plane is, with illustrations, it was quite easy to get everything lined up, however as I stated earlier, my reverse lock out mechanism is very sloppy and I don't fully trust it, but I wouldn't remove it.

If you don't feel comfortable with the instructions, just give the guys at Jwest a call. Anytime I checked in with them, they have been very responsive.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Oct 6 2013, 08:08 AM
Post #36

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

JWest is welcome to poach my adjustment instructions and diagrams as long as they give me credit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Its good to help out other vendors (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
JWest
post Oct 6 2013, 06:49 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(ww914 @ Oct 5 2013, 03:02 PM) *

I have to tell you Mr. J West Engineering, I was not impressed with your answer to my request from your company for some replacement parts for my Rennshifter. I asked if I could buy a new lock out lever as I felt mine was worn out. I bought my shifter secondhand on this forum and while it works OK, I felt it needed some help since I didn't know how old it was.

First, I've been out of town.

Second, I attempted to help this person rather than just send parts for an unknown issue. That made him angry, and since neither of us knows anything about the age and version of the shifter (it was purchased used) there is not a lot I can do with an unhelpful person. I'll go out of my way to help those who want to be helped but not if they get hostile.
+Quote Post
JWest
post Oct 6 2013, 06:53 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(ww914 @ Oct 6 2013, 08:28 AM) *

It's that way for a reason, what I have in the instructions will never please everyone but is based on customer feedback and experience. The typical RennShift install is so simple and aligns so easily that overly complex instructions would just confuse 90% of people out of doing it correctly. Those that have trouble can email me and get quick additional help.
+Quote Post
JWest
post Oct 6 2013, 06:56 PM
Post #39

oops
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Oct 6 2013, 07:27 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just like Restoration Design, you should consider doing a install video of the shifter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 11:25 AM