Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

22 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Out with the old and in with the Roo, Out with the 4 and in with the 6!
Larmo63
post Dec 12 2014, 09:26 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

Good, you got some better looking wheels!! Filling it up the first time is so exciting, it feels like being a teenager again. (TEENager)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Dec 12 2014, 09:39 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 16,371
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 12 2014, 08:25 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 25 2013, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(turk22 @ Sep 24 2013, 07:57 PM) *

I'm a former A&P (many years ago).. I've found it to be absolutely no help... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Alright, please eduficate me, i have no clue what A&P stands for.

Google is not much help either, too many choices ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%26P_%28disambiguation%29

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Audi and Porsche mechanic now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

HAHA. Now that was funny and so true. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Mar 14 2015, 10:04 AM
Post #43

Last year I had the opportunity to drive Apollo, Rnellums six cylinder Subaru conversion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) WOW!!!! What a fun car! From the time I released the clutch and got into the gas pedal I knew that a Subaru conversion would be in my future. Thanks Ross! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

So I started to collect all the necessary conversion parts. I have the Coldwater 914 cradle, axles, shift linkage, ect. I also picked up a 5 speed Subaru transmission and clutch (thanks Scotty!) My 2007 Subaru wagon became the engine donor (EJ253 173 hp @ 5600 rpm, 166 ft·lbf torque @ 4000 rpm). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) After spending some time on the Outfront Motorsports web site I ended up with a Stinger ECU, wiring harness, throttle body and mid engine oil pan. I think I have almost everything needed with the exception of a radiator.

And so it starts. On the first weekend of this month a crew of Colorado 914 guys came over to help remove the stock engine and transmission from my 74. Scotty made sure all the neighbors were awake and taking notice when he arrived in his awesome white 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) It is never a bad time when you get a group of 914 guys together. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

This weekend will be spent replacing the head gaskets on the EJ253 and installing the oil pan from Outfront Motorsports. I am hoping to flip the intake manifold with the use of some Grimmspeed phonolic spacers. I am unsure if this is possible but I am going to find out soon.
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Mar 14 2015, 10:49 AM
Post #44

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072

Ray, Does everything you do have to be so damn clean!!??

You are embarrassing the rest of us!

Looks like good progress, will I see it at work on Monday?
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Mar 14 2015, 09:30 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(rnellums @ Mar 14 2015, 10:49 AM) *

Ray, Does everything you do have to be so damn clean!!??

You are embarrassing the rest of us!

Looks like good progress, will I see it at work on Monday?

Definitely making progress and yep I will be there.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 14 2015, 09:37 PM
Post #46

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Your moving right along Ray! Looking good bud
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Mar 15 2015, 04:40 PM
Post #47

Thanks Jamie! I am hoping to have the swap done by summer. I was wondering how you dealt with the heater lines coming out of the water pump and water manifold that connects the cylinder heads. Did you just connect them with a piece of hose? I know outfront Motorsports sells a modified water manifold that they cut and weld shut. I am assuming that they just plug the outlet from the water pump?
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 15 2015, 06:37 PM
Post #48

914 Guru

QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Mar 15 2015, 03:40 PM) *

Thanks Jamie! I am hoping to have the swap done by summer. I was wondering how you dealt with the heater lines coming out of the water pump and water manifold that connects the cylinder heads. Did you just connect them with a piece of hose? I know outfront Motorsports sells a modified water manifold that they cut and weld shut. I am assuming that they just plug the outlet from the water pump?

I'll have to go take a look. Dean did all of that & I'm not sure how those are done. I think the water pump was capped somehow. Then the water manifold I'll have to see. I'll take a pic for you
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Apr 26 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #49

Update: The progress continues on my EJ253. So far I have replaced the head gaskets, timing belt, water pump and thermostat. The top end is back together and the intake manifold has been flipped and installed. The drive by wire throttle body has been replaced with a cable actuated version. The oil pan was removed and replaced with a mid engine pan from Outfront Motorsport. I have removed the EGR system and machined a block off plate for the EGR valve. The EGR tube was removed and the ports are plugged. The alternator was relocated with an Outfront Motorsports bracket. I still need to design and machine a bracket to relocate the coil pack. As soon as that is completed I can pull the flex plate and install the flywheel/clutch and mate the transmission up to the engine.

I am starting to think about the cooling system. The inlet and outlet on my Subaru motor is 1.5" I am having a hard time finding 1.5" heater hose in bulk. I have found 1.25" for about $6.50/foot. What is everyone running under the car? I was thinking I could run the 1.25" and make a few adapters to step the hose up for the engine connections. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I know Renegade does make a good system but I am not willing to give them a grand for it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Things are moving along.
Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 26 2015, 09:37 PM
Post #50

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Your motor is too clean, your garage is too clean and you are making progress...I don't like you anymore!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 27 2015, 09:26 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Apr 26 2015, 08:04 PM) *

Update: The progress continues on my EJ253. So far I have replaced the head gaskets, timing belt, water pump and thermostat. The top end is back together and the intake manifold has been flipped and installed. The drive by wire throttle body has been replaced with a cable actuated version. The oil pan was removed and replaced with a mid engine pan from Outfront Motorsport. I have removed the EGR system and machined a block off plate for the EGR valve. The EGR tube was removed and the ports are plugged. The alternator was relocated with an Outfront Motorsports bracket. I still need to design and machine a bracket to relocate the coil pack. As soon as that is completed I can pull the flex plate and install the flywheel/clutch and mate the transmission up to the engine.

I am starting to think about the cooling system. The inlet and outlet on my Subaru motor is 1.5" I am having a hard time finding 1.5" heater hose in bulk. I have found 1.25" for about $6.50/foot. What is everyone running under the car? I was thinking I could run the 1.25" and make a few adapters to step the hose up for the engine connections. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I know Renegade does make a good system but I am not willing to give them a grand for it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Things are moving along.

Don't hold me to this, but 1.25 rubber hose will PROBABLY stretch to 1.5" without much trouble. BTW Kent and I used much smaller hose for our cars. 3/4 on the hot side and 7/8 on the cool side per Bob's recommendations. Renegade uses 1" on the hot side and 1 1/4" on the cool side, or at least that's what I found from a build thread. Jags that Run has a number of adapters available.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JRust
post Apr 27 2015, 11:55 AM
Post #52

914 Guru

Gates green stripe is good stuff. You can usually pick it up at Boat/Marine supply shops. I would step them down a bit. Like Chris said you can get away with smaller. Especially on the NA motor's. I am running 1 1/4 on mine both ways I believe. Have never had it heat up on me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 27 2015, 12:22 PM
Post #53

I have PLENTY of 7/8 I/D if you want some Ray. Tired of tripping over it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Just pay the shipping.

Jamie, you'll need to stick with 1.25" now that you're about to become TURBOMAAAAAAN....
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 27 2015, 12:28 PM
Post #54

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 27 2015, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Apr 26 2015, 08:04 PM) *

Things are moving along.

Don't hold me to this, but 1.25 rubber hose will PROBABLY stretch to 1.5" without much trouble. BTW Kent and I used much smaller hose for our cars. 3/4 on the hot side and 7/8 on the cool side per Bob's recommendations. Renegade uses 1" on the hot side and 1 1/4" on the cool side, or at least that's what I found from a build thread. Jags that Run has a number of adapters available.

Chris is correct in that you can run smaller hose as we did. However, the 7/8" went on the HOT side (top to top) and 3/4" on the COLD side (bottom hose to bottom hose)
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Apr 27 2015, 12:44 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 27 2015, 12:22 PM) *

I have PLENTY of 7/8 I/D if you want some Ray. Tired of tripping over it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Just pay the shipping.

Jamie, you'll need to stick with 1.25" now that you're about to become TURBOMAAAAAAN....

Wow! Thanks Chris! I would be happy to get some of that out of your way. Let me know what you need on your end and I can get you the funds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks for the heads up on the hose size.
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Apr 27 2015, 12:52 PM
Post #56

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 26 2015, 09:37 PM) *

Your motor is too clean, your garage is too clean and you are making progress...I don't like you anymore!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Mueller, You cut me deep! LOL Hey I see you have a '73 914 non-runner....(broken 2.0 bus motor, soon to be a 1.7 or ?) How about jumping on the team and come in for the big win? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Porscharu time? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 27 2015, 12:54 PM
Post #57

PM me your address and I'll weigh it tonight or tomorrow. It's most likely more than you need so just pay it forward to the next guy.

Hey Kent, I definitely have my cooling setup the way you describe.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)...the smaller, lower hose gets HOT before anything else...is that weird or normal?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 27 2015, 01:06 PM
Post #58

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

IDK the EG series well enough to comment. Is it's thermostat on the bottom like the EZ series? Regardless, when the thermostat is open the return side temps should be cooler. That isn't ambient heat transfer off your header is it?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 27 2015, 01:12 PM
Post #59

Yep, thermostat is right there, but it may be still burping out a little air from the winter. Who knows... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ? Definitely not from the header. I'll keep watching it.

OK Ray carry on!
+Quote Post
A&P Mech
post Apr 30 2015, 10:13 PM
Post #60

Rnellums and I have been playing around with a Porscharu logo for fun. I was goofing off in the garage tonight and I engraved it into a piece of plastic. I think it came out pretty good. I am planing to engrave it on the block off plate on my Subaru transmission.
Attached Image
+Quote Post

22 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:13 PM