Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Signal Single Orange 74 EG33 Swap, Gone but not forgotten
914forme
post Aug 15 2015, 08:09 PM
Post #101

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Andy Forrest's Engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 15 2015, 08:33 PM
Post #102

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

That's a bruiser. Gotta look that one up.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 16 2015, 05:17 PM
Post #103

Today's progress does not seem like a lot, but I spent a lot of time on this.

Attached Image

I then looked into Harness mounts for the upper shoulders. I made up the templates for the engine side to smooth that area out, and then reinforced the interior side. I will use forged bolts and backing plates, they are bot fully FIA certified, so Im not to worried about them.

Here are the templates.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I know this is the boring stuff.

I did bolt in the drivers seat today also to get some bearing on shifter placement and position, figured out a bunch of stuff, and line placement.

So the plan as of right now, Is I will have a hot side and a cold side on the logs. Passenger gets the hot side, my wife is always cold, and she is used to burning her leg with me. My old Ghia the heater flap was stuck open, never knew, until a long trip.

And she still married me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 30 2015, 03:17 PM
Post #104

This weekends progress, not much, better than no progress.

Built a hammer form for the clutch cover. Need to go over to Dad's and run the clamping block through the table saw.

Attached Image

Then I spent what I thought was days surgically extracting this piece of 1/4 plate steel. It was used to secure my petty bar in that corner.

Attached Image

I finally used force, and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) out of it, and got it out.

Attached Image

Drilled a few holes for lines

Attached Image

Unfortunately, My hole saw bit it going into the logs, Welds, Engmann Kit, and Roll bar reinforcements ripped the teeth right off the saw.

I then made that dead pedal you see above.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 20 2015, 03:38 PM
Post #105

Back at it, spent a lot of time measuring and figuring, took a ton of parts in and out of the care, and finally came to the conclusion, a 914 is a tight place under the cowl. So Im thinking about talking the Southren Air Super Frost, and mounting it under the dash, feeding the tubes up to the vents and defrost, and adding a ver in the dash.

Even went as far as looking at fuel cells. I still have dreams of getting from front trunk space back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I made more templates, need to get gas for my welder. Also some 1/8 chip board to build my final templates, and I can start plasma cutting all these piece out of various gauges of metal. Also need so 20a.

Next up on the order list is a RAD, Condenser, Oil Cooler, and the SuperFrost unit. After that, I will get everything built in place, and then figure out lines and wiring harness routing and duct work etc.....

I did move off the conceptual world and into the real world.

Added these to my rotisserie, so I don't lose the socket, and I can store my hitch pin.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Welded up the nut on the end.

Attached Image

Allows me to use this drill and move the car up and down the 4 feet in 17 seconds. Much better than cranking.

Attached Image

Just don't get your hand near the handle, it hurts like a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

I also took a 911 wiper motor and added it to the old rack, and reclocked it.

First off what I do on the weekends is my own thing. Old trick for aligning parts.

Attached Image

Mark the bolt holes

Attached Image

And transfer them over.

Attached Image

Bolted up.

Attached Image

Oh, wow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) that is close

Attached Image

I have 5/16ths of clearance. So why go through all of this. Maybe a little faster wiper, but mainly, It looses 2.3 lbs. Easier than me going on a diet.

Also looked at where I will put my Acusump. Need to mock up the bracket, but fits like it was built for that space.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 26 2015, 04:43 PM
Post #106

Waiting on the 914build to start I went out and looked at some parts and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Well I got my Radiator in, Condenser in, and started to mess around up front. And Civic Master Cylinder.

Attached Image

Radiator is a Griffen Scirocco Style unit.

Fans are from an Intrepid, and don't fit worth a dang. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Guess what Scirocco Rads come in different sizes. I have a nice new set of intrepid fans I'll sell cheap.

I will have to modify the Rad some to do my plans. I'll get my son-in-law to lay the dimes on it. Need to remove the fill neck, and cap the upper inlet hose location, and move it to the side, bringing it down to be next to the Outlet at the bottom.

Condensor is a universal unit, fits well.

And the design I have come up with for the Rad ducting will allow me to store stuff under the front floor. Fuel Pump, Battery, water proof really for the fans, and a waterproof bag for tools, spare parts etc... It will only be waterproof for the off chance that water does get into that area.

I will then have a fake floor like the car has, just shorter. That combination will give me 6 cubic feet up top, and 1.8 cu.feet below. I will still have a front trunk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Now since I will be doing the build off, here is a shot of me sitting in my engine compartment.

Attached Image

And a shot of my engine Empty compartment.

Attached Image

And no I am not this guy, resemble him though.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
76-914
post Sep 26 2015, 06:57 PM
Post #107

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Looking good Stephan. BTW, I haven't had any issues with unwanted heat from the longs.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 27 2015, 07:00 PM
Post #108

Well I spent today messing around with my plasma cutter. And then I was working away, cutting some metal and bap bap bap, WTH, hey my compressor is not recharging.

So now on the list.

New compressor, trying to decide between this Cobalt, (Campbell Housfeld) or Ingersoll Rand.

The Kobalt I can get to the shop tomorrow, the IR will be a week out. The extra coin could go towards 914 parts, I need parts.

So if your keeping score:

My welder is down due to no gas, I need two tanks.
Compressor down
welding helmet is down, need a battery
Plasma Cutter down, due to no Air
Need more sheet metal, as 14ga is a little heavy for some of this stuff.
Need some Aluminum to mod the radiator, which will mean I will need to find a TIG and for the Rad air ducting.
And I am burning through cut off wheels like crazy.
Oh an I need dust masks, ran into some bondo today, man I kicked a lot of dust today.
Oh and my iPhone took a spill today at work, so no photos.
While I'm at Lowes I need to get some rigid Pink or blue foam, need to make a plug for my fiberglass Fan shroud on the back side, to keep some trunk.
And some fiber board, I need to make some plasma cutter templates, and modify a headliner that I will need to mod for some manual latches.

Good hard day, killing tools, and making progress.
+Quote Post
madmax914
post Oct 2 2015, 10:51 AM
Post #109

Member No.: 17,007
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Good to see you're in the Build-off! I've followed your EG33 build from the beginning. I may be out in Lima OH in March to visit family, any chance we could get together? Would love to see this little monster in the flesh.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 2 2015, 11:02 AM
Post #110

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Cool build...impressive rotisserie..I like it.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 2 2015, 01:43 PM
Post #111

QUOTE(madmax914 @ Oct 2 2015, 12:51 PM) *

Good to see you're in the Build-off! I've followed your EG33 build from the beginning. I may be out in Lima OH in March to visit family, any chance we could get together? Would love to see this little monster in the flesh.

Sure March sounds good it is the prefect time to visit Ohi, 80 degree days followed by a blizzard (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 2 2015, 01:45 PM
Post #112

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 2 2015, 01:02 PM) *

Cool build...impressive rotisserie..I like it.

Thank you, One issue is it spins to good at times. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
injunmort
post Oct 2 2015, 03:32 PM
Post #113

Member No.: 11,604
Region Association: North East States

impressive, good luck with build. I grew up in kettering.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 27 2015, 06:42 PM
Post #114

Long time no post, been busier than a one armed paper hanger!

So what I have been doing to the 914.

First up, made a pile of scrap metal.

Attached Image

Poor 944 never stood a chance (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

I Got it fit basically to make sure I was on the right track, and I am.

Attached Image

And it fits the curve of the windshield frame rather well.

Attached Image

And this is one great reason to do a sunroofed coupe 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached Image

The other is stiffness with out running a roll cage. This is when I got scared. Oh crap will I fit with a helmet on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) And the answer is just like the stock top, I fit with the seat cushion in place. I have to remove the cushion if I want to wear my brain bucket. That is a relief.

So Onward, I decided I would start cutting for my fender flares.

Drivers side rear

Attached Image

And I have

Attached Image

Oh crap will my tires fit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Measured them up, and yes.

Drivers side front.

Attached Image

And the fronts are 2" wider than stock.

Attached Image

I then found that I was like a puppy chasing squirrels, never could concentrate enough to get anything done. So I took some advice, and decided to concentrate on one thing at a time. So I started working on the rear trunk.

Made a fill piece for the trunk light, and stripped the paint around all my weld spots.

Attached Image

I then started working on the cover for the clutch slave.

Attached Image

Hammer formed it, still lots of work to do on this piece but it is a good start.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I then started working on the trailer hitch, still lots of work to do.

First up making it so I can get to the hitch. It will be hidden behind the license plate. The flip down is a Bully brand hidden plate.

Attached Image

The plate is from my Grand Father, W 23 B from 1974.

Here is the plate mounts burnt some metal. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

And that let me get it all measured up and mount the bumper on the car.

Attached Image

Drill the center into the car to see what I got.

Attached Image

And this is where it comes out on the other side.

Attached Image

And lots of cutting I have it installed.

Attached Image

And the ball mounted, will have to see if this will work once the bumper is on, and the bumper top.

Attached Image

Next up, cut out the bumper, add re-enforcments for the hitch, and then figure out trailer chain attachments. I have an idea.

Parts needed to be ordered:
Trailer hitch wiring and flasher relay
J-West trunk hinges, mine are all buggered up.
License plate bolt kit, the Bully did not come with anything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 27 2015, 07:46 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Man you are really making progress Steve. Looking good! If you do that metal roof too well you'll have a line of people asking if you want to do theirs for them. Charge big bucks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ! Where did those flares come from?
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 27 2015, 09:49 PM
Post #116

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Like the progress! That sunroof is a LOT of work!
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Oct 28 2015, 03:36 AM
Post #117

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

You plan on putting a twin turbo setup on your EG33? I was thinking about just one running low boost to keep the heat down, just enough to eliminate the "suck" part of the whole suck, squish, bang, blow 4 stroke thing. Easier on the engine and a nice gentle jump in horsepower. These engines are quite flexible and I understand the whole idea with the EZ30 and all the EJ engines, but something about a turbo six with a flat plane crank and bulletproof internals just gets the blood going, ya know! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 28 2015, 09:04 AM
Post #118

QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 20 2015, 02:38 PM) *

Back at it, spent a lot of time measuring and figuring, took a ton of parts in and out of the care, and finally came to the conclusion, a 914 is a tight place under the cowl. So Im thinking about talking the Southren Air Super Frost, and mounting it under the dash, feeding the tubes up to the vents and defrost, and adding a ver in the dash.

Steven, did you do a test mock up fit with a cardboard box or something? In the end you'll find that yoou really have to want AC to go thru all this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) In retrospect I wish I had run the vent tube on the drivers side above (where the air box was) rather than below the dash. It really gets tight on the drivers side when you factor in big feet.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 28 2015, 08:27 PM
Post #119

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Oct 27 2015, 09:46 PM) *

Man you are really making progress Steve. Looking good! If you do that metal roof too well you'll have a line of people asking if you want to do theirs for them. Charge big bucks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ! Where did those flares come from?

Yeah we will see, it will be a ton of work. Flares? Racer Chris (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 27 2015, 11:49 PM) *

Like the progress! That sunroof is a LOT of work!

Hope so, I am a glutton for punishment

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Oct 28 2015, 05:36 AM) *

You plan on putting a twin turbo setup on your EG33? I was thinking about just one running low boost to keep the heat down, just enough to eliminate the "suck" part of the whole suck, squish, bang, blow 4 stroke thing. Easier on the engine and a nice gentle jump in horsepower. These engines are quite flexible and I understand the whole idea with the EZ30 and all the EJ engines, but something about a turbo six with a flat plane crank and bulletproof internals just gets the blood going, ya know! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Not yet, I have plans for several different version of the EGs, first will be stock with headers, and a flipped intake.

I would like to do a set of ITB on the engine next.

And then yes I have a plan for a single turbo with a water based intercooler.

But twin scrolls would be oh so nice.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 28 2015, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 20 2015, 02:38 PM) *

Steven, did you do a test mock up fit with a cardboard box or something? In the end you'll find that yoou really have to want AC to go thru all this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) In retrospect I wish I had run the vent tube on the drivers side above (where the air box was) rather than below the dash. It really gets tight on the drivers side when you factor in big feet.

Actually I have figured something out, but am disappointed with what I found. I will be using a Vintage Air Mini unit, and be cutting some metal, more of that to come.

But this is my controller for it, replaces the factory stuff.

Attached Image

Thanks everyone, for keeping me going (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 29 2015, 08:42 AM
Post #120

If your going with that VA unit why not go with their controllers adapted to the OEM factory heat/vent controller? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 06:25 AM