Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Signal Single Orange 74 EG33 Swap, Gone but not forgotten
914forme
post Feb 21 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #144

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

So yesterday brake pedal parts started showing up. I got a killer deal on a Wildwood pedal set, so I needed a couple of M/C.

I choose the Tilton's over the Howe's why, well the Tilton come in 5/8" bore, as well as 3/4" bore which ~ 19mm.

Attached Image

And they are only about 1/4" longer than the Howe's, I can always build a pedal box if I need to.

All this cool accessories I will not be using lol

Attached Image

Next up, I made the decision that I was going to make it look like I was making progress, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

So a little cut, and off came the three other fenders.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I forgot to take an after picture (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached Image

While the plasma cutter was out, I cut out the spot weld access hole under the seats.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Stared welding in the floor re-enforcements for the anti-sub straps

Attached Image

Attached Image

Still a little work to do on the interior side of these.

Attached Image

Attached Image

And now for something completely different

Started cutting out items in the engine compartment

Trunk hinge gone to make way for the JWest hinge.

Attached Image

Since my new pedals have dual M/Cs and a balance bar, I cut out the prop valve bracket.

Attached Image

Eliminating Un needed tubes Don't need flapper valve cable, a clutch cable tube, and I don't need the Speedo Cable either, but will be reprising that one, I think.

Attached Image

And I'll be moving the e-brake to the center tunnel, so these are not needed either.

Attached Image

Started Working on the firewall engine mount. IT will allow me to route the exhaust easier. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Using these bushing

Attached Image

Need to cut this tube

Attached Image

Oh look what's back.

Underside of the hitch plate.

Attached Image

Starting to pull the bolts and plug weld the holes.

Attached Image

And the pile after the weekend.

Attached Image

Feel like I got something done.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 23 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #145

Parts have landed:

Wildwood pedal assembly

Attached Image

And expansion tank

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 23 2016, 09:04 PM
Post #146

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

What did you spend on the pedal assembly? Thats a nice looking piece of kit..
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 24 2016, 04:17 AM
Post #147

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 23 2016, 10:04 PM) *

What did you spend on the pedal assembly? Thats a nice looking piece of kit..

For a song, I got it off a racer friend who was cleaning out a buds workshop. So I got a new part at a very good used price. I spent little over franklin on it with shipping. I have more in the Tilton M/Cs than I do on the pedal assembly. New these are right below $300 on the streets.

Now to see how well they fit.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 28 2016, 06:48 PM
Post #148

Started working on mocking up the brake pedals.

Stock pedals up top, new ones below, they are actually shorter until you add the M/Cs

Attached Image

M/Cs add 2 - 1/4" to the overall length. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image

And here is what they look like in the car, with my Double Wide size 13s.

Attached Image

Now what that does to the leg geometry.

Stock pedals, my knee sits 13" off the floor.
Wilwood's My knee is slightly under 15" If my memory is correct, even with my small steering wheel that will be tight. Looks like I would need to build a pedal box.

Issue #2 the Clutch M/C comes out right in the back of the brace coming off the front cross over that holds the rack. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Will have to think about that one, find a good solution.

Started working on the engine mount.

Attached Image

Cut apart with the bandsaw

Attached Image

Attached Image

Welded to the chassis plate

Attached Image

Attached Image

Both sides are welded up, and Zinc has bee applied to the back, ready to well in. Though I think I will add some try-angulation to the mount.

Made the pieces for the safety chains, and this will finish up the rear hitch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) At least until it gets off the rotisserie. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

And Welded in

Attached Image

Finished laying down the welds on the sub straps, had to take a close up of this one!

Attached Image

Then I got a brilliant idea since everything was going so well, I would add some beads into the clutch slave cover.

Made myself a small T-dolly

Attached Image

And started (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)

What did I do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

So this is where I am at right now, after 3 hours of hammer and dolly work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

But I got it so it fits again.

Attached Image

Sad thing is I have a bead roller that I should have used before I started harmer forming the cover. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Oh well, I keep learning this metal bumping stuff.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 5 2016, 07:49 AM
Post #149

Got a couple hours in last night (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Attached Image

Inner reinforcements done for harness straps. These keep the spacer tube from going through the sheet metal. Hopefully I don't test this theory for function. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Topic going on in Chris H. thread about water inlet size. On the EG the larger the better! So how big can you go?

Attached Image

Now to find a place to run a 2" tube under a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Spent the rest of the night laying out the items in the engine compartment.

I have a large Oil filter, going in on the drivers side log.

A large Fuel filter going in on the Pass side log, not sure if I will be using it or not. Original idea was to build a fuel surge tank, feed it with a high volume low pressure pump, then have the High pressure pump in the engine bay. I have never had a fuel starvation problem in my 914 even while auto crossing, so why over engine this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Though the larger tires, more power, more aggressive suspension might make it a possibility.

Other issue could be heat soak with this design, vapor lock would be worse than a minor issue with fuel starvation.

Coolant Tank, upper pass side fire wall

Over flow bottle next to it, and a Engine Oil Overflow bottle Right next to it.

Don't forget that large Accusump, it goes down the drivers side log. It is almost a perfect fit.

Now the big question comes to air cleaner, and intake manifold.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) 3D print an intake manifold to run 2 sets of Triumph Triple Speed Throttle Bodies. And run filter stack air cleaners. Would it look good, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) brings up a mother of another set of issues, but oh man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Just finished eating breakfast, time to get out and get (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 5 2016, 08:32 AM
Post #150

Spooling.... Please wait

I really like the concept of the surge tank, especially with the fuel pump submergex in it. Constant flow of fuel over the pump will keep the pump cool and with the aid of a primer pump you shouldnt have fuel starvation issues. My current fuel setup might be a tad over engineered but its good enough to supply 700hp on e85... I simply wont get close to that but its nice knowing everything will be running efficiently and way before max limitations.

Your progress has been great as of late!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 5 2016, 09:04 AM
Post #151

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Throw that engine in there so we can hear it run. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Your getting close! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 5 2016, 12:03 PM
Post #152

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 5 2016, 09:32 AM) *

I really like the concept of the surge tank, especially with the fuel pump submergex in it. Constant flow of fuel over the pump will keep the pump cool and with the aid of a primer pump you shouldnt have fuel starvation issues. My current fuel setup might be a tad over engineered but its good enough to supply 700hp on e85... I simply wont get close to that but its nice knowing everything will be running efficiently and way before max limitations.

Thank you, thats nice to hear form you, as I feel like your kicking it also.

Fuel surge, I am using a rock crawler design. So Fuel pump is external of the surge tank. The surge tank is a huge fuel filter with the pickup extended to close to the bottom. Then return fuel form the engine then goes back into the surge tank, and if the surge tank overflowith, it will return to the main tank, to be pumped.

I'll add a diagram of it latter.

Thank you again for your kind words.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 5 2016, 12:18 PM
Post #153

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 5 2016, 10:04 AM) *

Throw that engine in there so we can hear it run. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Your getting close! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Kent I so wish I so wish, right now I bolt a seat in when I am fitting things up and pretend, lol.

This car will not likely be a solid color this year, just got the estimate for my daughters wedding for food and bar. OMG, not bad, but still, cover a lot of the cost of the 914 conversion. But we will keep plugging away.

She is within budget right now, and knows Dad does not go for the excuses. They are all B.S. anyway! Still should be a wonderful May wedding, plan a few years ago was to have the 914 done for that day.

I am also supposed to be thiner and look like Hugh Jackman in X-Men shape (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

If I get one out of three, I will be extremely proud of my accomplishments. As I am sitting here eating lunch, a plate full of black beans, and vegetables.

I have until the end of May, I'll make the thinner target, I am already thinner, and in better shape, doubt I'll make 12% body fat, and not a big fan of oiled up, spray on tan.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) I have an airbrush (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 5 2016, 01:14 PM
Post #154

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 5 2016, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 5 2016, 09:32 AM) *

Thank you, thats nice to hear form you, as I feel like your kicking it also.

Fuel surge, I am using a rock crawler design. So Fuel pump is external of the surge tank. The surge tank is a huge fuel filter with the pickup extended to close to the bottom. Then return fuel form the engine then goes back into the surge tank, and if the surge tank overflowith, it will return to the main tank, to be pumped.

I'll add a diagram of it latter.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Awesome! From your initial post it sounded like you were not 100% sure if you were going to do it. With the lateral G's the 914 sustains I think its an awesome solution for those that dont want to spend $$$$ on a fuel cell.

I'd love to see your design when your done with it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 5 2016, 06:32 PM
Post #155

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 5 2016, 02:14 PM) *

I'd love to see your design when your done with it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached Image

Okay now for the description.

A: Stock Fuel Tank

B: Low Pressure Filter suction side to protect the pump

C: Low Pressure High Volume Fuel Pump

D: Fuel Filter / Sump

E: High Pressure EFI pump

F: engine and injectors, fuel rail, pressure regulator, etc...

G: Is a T One side comes from the pressure regulator outlet, the other side goes into D, and the last side goes onto the tank return. If for any reason the surge is full of fuel, the extra heads back to the main fuel tank, if not, the return will bring some back into the filter sump. At max the low pressure side will be 7 psi.]

Only issue I see is their is a filter and pump in the engine compartment and they could get heat soaked and vapor lock.

The EG should have a cooler engine compartment than the type-4 would have had. It is still a potential issue. Won't know until it is tried.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 5 2016, 06:52 PM
Post #156

Just got back from a funeral for a team member's father who died at 53 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Before I had to go, I was able to get some work done on the 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Would much rather have gone to Scott's looked at his cars, ate good chill, and drank bear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) But that is part of being a leader, sometimes you have to do things you would rather not do. It is all for the good of the cause.

Made a few brackets for the overflow bottles and the coolant tank.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Zinc sprayed on the areas that will not be accessible.

Had a Squirrel moment and cut the pedal area out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) No going back now!

Attached Image

Cut out the drivers side -4 engine mount, and started mocking up the log reinforcements

Attached Image

Attached Image

And this is where my big oil filter gets mounted. Plenty of clearance to the engine, and easy access.

Attached Image

Started welding the engine mount in place

Attached Image

Shop is getting messy again, heading out to clean it up a bit, starting to loose small tools. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I freaking hate that!!!!!
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 6 2016, 09:30 AM
Post #157

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

God I know that feeling. I usually wait until it reaches that state before I clean up. Years ago, I built a plane and I had 3 pr of Cleco pliers. Whenever I could not locate any of them I would stop and clean shop. Hi-Jack over.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 7 2016, 11:29 AM
Post #158

Got more stuff done yesterday, mainly layout, and drilling holes

The tools of the trade

Attached Image

Love layout dye, so much easier on my eyes Yes that is a rivet spacer, works great for marking plug weld holes. A Carbide scribe and a ruler.

Rinse and repeat, a continuous theme for this car.

Attached Image

Center Marked on another piece

Attached Image

Holes Drilled

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Left overs from all the cutting and drilling

Attached Image

And all the leftovers from the body cuts and pattern making.

Attached Image

Now we know how many holes it take to fill the driver log. Yes bad reference to the Beetles lyric. "Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall"

Attached Image

More Holes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
Second Side of the engine mount

Attached Image

Collant Tank Bracket, need to clean the paint off. But it is test fitted

Attached Image

Final Hole for the brake pedals.

Attached Image

I then cleaned up the workshop, and lastly I started to mockup the pedal mount out of foam core.

Not as easy as I had hoped for, so I found the dimensional drawing and will give that a go. Wish it had the centers for the M/C openings.

Attached Image

That was a wrap for this weekends work. I will try to get a little done each day, today it might be find a hole saw on the way home. I want to get a Metal Lathe!!!! That want list for tools is huge, and a Metal Lathe will be on the long side of that list. A good TIG welder should be up first. And a Horizontal bandsaw, to make nice square tubing cuts.

The cost of a Milwaukee Porta Band stand for that purpose is more than a decent used horizontal band saw.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 8 2016, 06:18 AM
Post #159

Last night I was doing some work on my harness, adding snap eyes to the shoulder straps on my Profi IIs and discovered my dates all ended on 2015.

So it looks like before I start racing again, I will be buying a new set. Yes I can have them rewebbed. That being said I like the idea of the FIA 2" lap, and 2" shoulder hybrid, that way if I ever where a HANS, it fits better.

Now I wonder with the hybrid uppers if I could move the clips in closer to the seat head rest Time to put a seat back into the car and give that a try.

I don't wear the harnesses on the street, I have a new set of 3 points going back into the car.

Add that to the list with a new helmet for this year. I am sure local auto-x events would not look at the belt dates, but future plans hold that this car will be used for so other events.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 8 2016, 09:00 AM
Post #160

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) WOW I think you are having too much fun! looks great.-
btw, what kind of flares are you putting on? are you going the GT, or fiberglass?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 8 2016, 09:05 AM
Post #161

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 8 2016, 10:00 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) WOW I think you are having too much fun! looks great.-
btw, what kind of flares are you putting on? are you going the GT, or fiberglass?

D. None of the above - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) I have a nice set of Tangerine Racing Steel Flares. They match my older rear flares I cut out with out all the splices and filler. Chris' panel beater does a great job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

And thank you for the kind comments, I am having loads of fun!!!
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 8 2016, 09:30 AM
Post #162

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 8 2016, 10:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Mar 8 2016, 10:00 AM) *

D. None of the above - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) I have a nice set of Tangerine Racing Steel Flares. They match my older rear flares I cut out with out all the splices and filler. Chris' panel beater does a great job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

And thank you for the kind comments, I am having loads of fun!!!

I had considered having Chris do a set for me, my rear fenders are kind of a mess. After I put the 7's on the rubbed and blistered the paint and trying to stretch them to get an extra 1/2 inch creased the lip and bent it, so its going to need work anyway. how much does chris charge for a "mild" increase, I want stock look but need extra 1" max
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 8 2016, 04:34 PM
Post #163

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Those are great flares. Nice alternative to the GT flares.

Hey Steve did you find the engine harness? I have the wiring diagrams if you need them and can get you some pics of mine for reference when I pull the engine. Just about ready to lower it down. Drained the fluids, just waiting to be there are no stray antifreeze drips (not good for the dogs).

+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 10:04 PM