Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Signal Single Orange 74 EG33 Swap, Gone but not forgotten
Andyrew
post Mar 25 2016, 09:59 PM
Post #184

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Great stuff! Love the water pump (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

930cv's are a great choice!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 25 2016, 11:46 PM
Post #185

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Looking good Steve. You'll be glad you did your mount that way. Leaves the exhaust options wide open.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 26 2016, 08:15 AM
Post #186

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Mar 26 2016, 01:46 AM) *

Looking good Steve. You'll be glad you did your mount that way. Leaves the exhaust options wide open.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Yes, it leaves the exhaust open to a lot of options. Equal length headers snaking around. Proper length for the headers where 32.5" I have a set of pool hose to bend around and try to make fit. Wit the bar I could do it, but the collector was out the back of the 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) Or a very simple setup with a cross over going into one of them funny little snail shaped devices (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I love building things so It will be a simple NA build this go around. But you will seeI am planning for the future when I get used to the engine. Going from 100HP to 230HP will be a nice bump, and make the car completely different. But evil things happen to us humans and we make the new HP normal.

I sold my last TDI, it was all tricked out! It was plenty fast, got my new stock one, and forgot, I don't have that power anymore. So I downshift to pass and the first time I didn't it was like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) where is the power! I have been a very good boy and have keep my new one all stock. Though I see that changing it its future. But if the turbo goes out, all hell will cut loose I am sure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

First up will be suspension and brakes, tires and wheels! I always start there with all my builds. Need to be able to stop and turn before you start making it move from point a to b quicker.

So if you know someone that has posed their MKVI Jetta GLI, or GTI, I would be interested in suspension and maybe the wheels some of them are (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) to me.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 26 2016, 08:22 AM
Post #187

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 25 2016, 11:59 PM) *

Great stuff! Love the water pump (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

930cv's are a great choice!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) yeah you started that sickness (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

In reality I like the concept as it solves a problem the EG33 has with high revs and pump cavitation. Or at least I hope it does. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Also just incase anyone needs to know what trans they are buying here is a PDF I liberated with information current to the date of publishing. I was looking for a generation 2 trans yesterday found a few, but this will help narrow down the choice.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  TransmissionIDChart_Public.pdf ( 151.84k ) Number of downloads: 86
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 27 2016, 06:09 AM
Post #188

Spent yesterday working on the engine mounts, took not one picture, sorry. I have pushed the EG forward another 2", that puts the AC unit just off the firewall. And still gives me some space for tubes. That forward movement adds some space around the rear shift rod, and allows for exist to center exit. It was a tight fit back there.

So now I get to step back and redo all the brackets I made on the trans mount also. Oh well it is a good learning experience.

I need to go and get a 1-1/2" holes saw, mine old one seemed to have seen better days (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tooth.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 27 2016, 06:42 AM
Post #189

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Oh God. What would it feel like to do something and get it right the first time, Steven? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I believe that's is why so many peeps wash out before completion. Takes some mental prep for the disappointments that experimentation brings. BTW, that 1.25 will slip over the 1 3/8" easily. Glycerine is your friend. Keep on keeping on. Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 27 2016, 10:20 AM
Post #190

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Just noticed what you did here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Nice orientation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 28 2016, 01:23 PM
Post #191

Well the remanufacture of items I have done in the past continues. I got bot of the transmission hangers mocked up, one side is done. It was much easier the 2nd time around.

I used a shorter section of tube tack welded it in the location I wanted it to be in and covered it in layout dye. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I then made this handy little scribe, point of the hardened nail is 1/2" from the surface being measured.

Attached Image

You just trace it around the surface your going the tube to and you have your exact measurements. Mark it on the final tube, add 1/2" and it fits really tight!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I got into the flow of the project and took no more pictures. I love it when that happens, I just bang out stuff like it was no effort.

Started working on the front Mount from the engine to the bar

As I mentioned in a previous post I moved the engine forward forcing all these changes. Here it is in its final resting spot.

Attached Image

A/C compressor is tight but it fits.

Attached Image

And the clutch slave is still in its hole (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached Image

The last thing I did was lookup information on my Gen1 Trans.

So it is a 4.44 Final Drive with a 3.454 1st, 2.062 2nd, 1.448 3rd, 1.088 4th, and 0.825 5th gear.

At 70 in 5th I project turning just shy of 3000 RPM (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) that will get old fast. So I started to wonder what combo I needed to get the best of all the worlds.

The WRX in 06 /07 has a 3.9 final drive. All the gear ratios are the same just the final drive changed. That translates into at 70 engine is turning at 2200 RPM.

Now to find a USDM WRX Trans TY754VW7AA from an 06/07 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

In reality the performance is not much different between the two final drives when I run it through the simulator.

+Quote Post
gryphon68
post Mar 30 2016, 08:34 AM
Post #192

Member No.: 16,462

QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 28 2016, 02:23 PM) *

The WRX in 06 /07 has a 3.9 final drive. All the gear ratios are the same just the final drive changed. That translates into at 70 engine is turning at 2200 RPM.

Now to find a USDM WRX Trans TY754VW7AA from an 06/07 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I believe the 06/07 WRX is actually 3.7 final drive.

See bottom of page 4.
http://www.rallispec.com/downloads/Transmi...hart_Public.pdf

Also, they may have also relocated the clutch slave cylinder, that might allow you to patch the hole in the trunk floor.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 30 2016, 01:46 PM
Post #193

I know it says 3.7 I am assuming it is a typo. Since the majority of them are 4.44, 4.11, and 3.9. I could not see this one tranny being the only 3.7. Patching the trunk hole would be nice. Though I have a nice solution. I worked hard on that cover then screwed it up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 30 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #194

Member No.: 73

Hey so...before you buy an 06-07 WRX trans...straight from the 2006 5MT manual. I have the whole 2006 5MT (and 6MT) shop manual if you want it Steve.

Attached Image

It APPEARS that the non-turbo cars are 3.90 and the turbo cars are 3.70. And it does seem like mine runs a little high RPM in 5th. Can't confirm the final drive...could be a typo but it seems right. I have a 2006 WRX (turbo car) trans.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 31 2016, 05:50 AM
Post #195

Thanks for the confirmation Chris.

Also the gear ratios are different. The hunt is on, though I am a long way from deeding it officially.

Update on progress,

More parts are rolling in for the beast, I got my in tank fuel pump mount from Tanks, Inc. It is their Fuel Cell Pickup and return unit. Needs to be modified for fuel pump support. Once I get all these parts I will do a write up on my simple conversion to in tank fuel pump.

This setup also eliminates the need for an external sump setup, making my build easier, you got to love that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Nice night last night in the Ohio Valley so I finished welding my last trans hanger. And started working on the new front mount. Got my mock up done, and started cutting it to shape, to get the proper tight fit, this will take a bunch of cut off wheels.

Also I got a notice from AA last night that the Euro Taillights I order will finally be shipping next week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) We will see how they compare to all the Hella units I have stock piled. Even the Hellas have various shade differences in the Amber section. So you have to mix and match them if you picked up multiple sets.

I am also getting ready to dive off the deep end with Tangerine racing parts. Before I go to far, I need to hold back , but Chris' stuff is so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
LowBridge
post Mar 31 2016, 08:20 AM
Post #196

Member No.: 19,045
Region Association: North East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 1 2016, 06:52 PM
Post #197

Well got to work a little bit tonight before my compressor bit it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

No time to get to Harbor Freight tonight for a replacement pump. I would love to just buy a new compressor, but the 914 is more important. So instead of using my die grinders and other air tools, I had to use my dremel to get some tube fitting done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

That being said I got a decent fit for the first front engine mount let going to the firewall.

Attached Image

Took pictures of the rear brackets, much nicer than my first go around.

Attached Image

Attached Image

And Mounted in the car

Attached Image

Fuel pickup came in from Tanks, Inc.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I have all the little pieces on order for the power lug to pas through this mount. The grounded side is much easier (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

And I got my Fuel Pump E85 compatible (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

And install kit.

Attached Image

That is it for this update.

Be back at it tomorrow, and modifying my old Air Compressor to except an HF unit. Running it through its break in, reviews say need to do that until cleanish oil comes out of the drain, and then change it to some good purple stuff it will hum right along.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 2 2016, 07:10 PM
Post #198

Today I got something done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

engine mounts are done, well they need to be coated in something, paint, powder, gun blueing, etc....

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

And the test, it works at least as a display piece.

Attached Image

And I have started my new engine cart, my wood one was quick and dirty, and well All that wood gets in the way. Total pain in the....

So this is the start, this will sit under the cross bar at the front of the engine.

Now to find some good Casters

Attached Image

Repurposing scrap from my shop lights, I took them out of an open bay workshop and they where attached to these channels. I have used them for all sorts of stuff

Compressor update, well went to Harbor Freight got a pump, and ordered my new pulley for the engine. Got the old one torn apart and tossed it in the metal pile. I get to wait so todays work was done with a Dremel and a bunch of metal cutting discs. Them little things work, but dang they get eaten up quick.

But I did pickup a 12" disc sander at Harbor Freight to help me clean up metal work. And that is one solid disc sander. Oh and it eats metal like nothing else I have ever used. Sure beats my old belt sander stuck in a vice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 3 2016, 08:23 PM
Post #199

Not much done on the car today.

I did make the lower part of the brackets for the engine dolly.

Attached Image

Baby steps
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 7 2016, 05:34 PM
Post #200

Well parts showed up today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

More Parts from down under (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Attached Image

930 Hubs and roll pins for my Subaru Trans.

Attached Image

Subarugears Sight Glass for Transmission Oil level.

And after waiting 4 long years for this order it finally came I was not going to say anything until I got it in my hands.

Attached Image

Oh they look so pretty

Attached Image

I was packing them back up in the box and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Attached Image

Yes the reverse lens section was glued to the rest of the lens at an angle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

So shot an e-mail off to customer service with a picture asking the same question. We will see if I get (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Apr 7 2016, 05:44 PM
Post #201

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Those engine mounts look good! I really like the front pivot! It's so clean without anything totally spanning the engine bay.

Eeek, how could anyone ship lenses out like that. No QC at all.

Just adding this because you have a picture of one of Andy Forrest's engine iterations posted above, but have you seen this recent interview with him? Lots of interesting stuff about the car, etc. https://www.facebook.com/HPAcademy/videos/990196814405772/
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 7 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #202

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 7 2016, 04:34 PM) *

Well parts showed up today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

More Parts from down under (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Attached Image

930 Hubs and roll pins for my Subaru Trans.

Attached Image

Subarugears Sight Glass for Transmission Oil level.

And after waiting 4 long years for this order it finally came I was not going to say anything until I got it in my hands.

Attached Image

Oh they look so pretty

Attached Image

I was packing them back up in the box and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Attached Image

Yes the reverse lens section was glued to the rest of the lens at an angle (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

So shot an e-mail off to customer service with a picture asking the same question. We will see if I get (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I'd like to placed a wager on that if it comes up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Sorry Steven. How does someone stay in business with those practices AND reputation? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 8 2016, 04:25 AM
Post #203

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) it was a gamble like anything, we will see if the house wins.

Also what a great find on the Forrester interview. Thank you JD74914 Lots of detail info on how the car was built and ran.

1200 HP in that form is super nice. And it sounds like he ha the potential to get to 1400-1500 if he wanted to stress it out a bit. As he says and has been my contention, you rarely use all the HP you have.

Do I need that kind of HP in my build, NO, would I want to experience it OH HELL YES (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I have one GT350R sitting here and also have a GM 3.8L super charger with lots of bad ideas going through my head. The GMs are cheap bone yard items. The GT350R are a little more dollars, if you get the real thing. I have also been eyeing a Paxton unit.

I don't need to do any of these right now, the thoughts and pondering just keeps me from completing the build.

Countdown clock says I have 24 weeks left. Lots to get done in 24 weekends. And in reality I have less than that due to work, social plans, daughters marriage, etc... As they say Damn the Torpedoes Full Speed Ahead
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:35 PM