Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Signal Single Orange 74 EG33 Swap, Gone but not forgotten
76-914
post Jul 3 2016, 09:04 AM
Post #221

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

You bought a "new" welder? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 4 2016, 08:31 PM
Post #222

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 3 2016, 11:04 AM) *

Yes, a TIG. have not gotten it yet.

Well the update for today. Nothing done on the 914. I spent my day in the ER getting my figures reassembled. It seems that at 12" disc Sander and fingers down go together. The sander won! 12 stitches and two fake fingernails latter

So I am now sedated, and feeling very little pain. All I can think is "24 24 hours to go oh, I want to be sedated. Nothing to do, no where to go oh, I wanna be sedated. Put me in a wheel chair take me to the show. Hurry Hurry before I go explode. I can't control my fingers.
+Quote Post
white1975
post Jul 4 2016, 09:06 PM
Post #223

Member No.: 12,529

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 4 2016, 07:31 PM) *

Well the update for today. Nothing done on the 914. I spent my day in the ER getting my figures reassembled. It seems that at 12" disc Sander and fingers down go together. The sander won! 12 stitches and two fake fingernails latter

So I am now sedated, and feeling very little pain. All I can think is "24 24 hours to go oh, I want to be sedated. Nothing to do, no where to go oh, I wanna be sedated. Put me in a wheel chair take me to the show. Hurry Hurry before I go explode. I can't control my fingers.

been there and didn't do it as bad as you did. that hurts that's what happens when you take the guard off but they just don't work with a guard i have dirt under the skin where i did my thumb you need anything just yell (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 4 2016, 09:40 PM
Post #224

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 4 2016, 07:31 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Hope you heal quickly, messed up fingers are No fun...
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 5 2016, 07:26 AM
Post #225

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 4 2016, 09:31 PM) *

Oh man sorry to hear that! 12 stitches?! That's a big gash.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jul 5 2016, 08:04 AM
Post #226

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Seems like everybody pays their dues at some point. Got mine with a cut-off wheel last year. Hope it heals fast, get some therapy and work it hard.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 5 2016, 08:52 AM
Post #227

thank you everyone, I'll be back at it as soon as I can grip something. Going to have my son in law come over and finish my welding on the trailers. At least it will be forward progress towards getting things done. Use this time to continue to gather parts and get things ready, might sell a few things also.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 5 2016, 10:51 AM
Post #228

Just make sure you can grip a steering wheel in 6 weeks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif). I think I'm ready to start the old girl today or tomorrow. Found a couple of small wiring issues that will make a HUGE difference. Will update my thread with details but you know what probably happens when you don't ground the MAF sensor plug? I'm guessing NOTHING (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . It'll run but not very well.
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Jul 5 2016, 08:39 PM
Post #229

Member No.: 18,106

Crazy about the fingers, it seems every one of us in the challenge has visited the ER... The finger nail area may heal funny, I got mine with the grinder 6 months ago and still can't pinch.

Also, I absolutely love the Ramones reference, very pertinent to the situation.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 10 2016, 10:33 AM
Post #230

It has been almost a week since my finger incident.

Scott took my mind off my fingers yesterday with a ride in PORSTI (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) We went to Columbus cars and coffee event, some interesting stuff there. His car draws a crowd BTW. Then went over to the Godguys show, interesting stuff, I discovered something while I was there. I am a racer / fabricator, I like neat tech and cool ideas, I don't like 100% show cars. I as drawn to anything that hard a cool build feature, or was a race car.

Watched the Auto-x event, big american iron running around a 26 second course. Now for th odd thing when did good guys start letting VWs into their shows. My old recollection, been a while since I have been there, was it had to be pre 70s American Iron, or atlas be powered by American Iron.

Oh and I want a Ramp Truck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

914 related, lots of time to think about stuff, keeping my right hand above my heart keeps the throbbing down in the fingers.

Scored some nice parts, and some great ideas.

Thank you Bruce for getting a rear trunk Panel cut out, and on its way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Thanks to Old914guy over on Pelican for a sweet deal on the Quaife steering rack quickener.

Spoke for the LED backup lights that makes all eternal lighting on the car LED

Speedhut for letting me know they can not put a boost gauge into their GPS speedo, oaks like I am back to building my own stuff, or adding one some where else. Maybe pass side so they have something to look at before they grab the Oh (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) handle.

Eastwood for sending me two TIG welders (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) working through that one with them.

Scott for taking my mind off the fingers, and introducing me to his wife Tara, who just so happens does consulting on safety accidents. The fingers are 100% my fault.

And for Scott reminding me that I need to get a few more tools in house, spending way to much time looking at dimple and other dies. I have even built a decision matrix spreadsheet to make my choice.

Still have not found the piece of metal I was deburring, thinking it might be in the disk sander body, along with my DNA, not sure I want to open it up just yet. Looking at my fingers every day is enough of a reminder.

But hey Doctor says I have a 99% chance of keeping them, and they look really good. To me they look like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) but they see this everyday, so I'll take their word for it. It could have been so much worse, grateful that it wasn't.

Off to take some pain-killers, and antibiotics. Enjoy your Sunday
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 18 2016, 06:58 AM
Post #231

Thank you Bruce for the rear trunk panel. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Chris H your box of parts showed up on Saturday, FedEx is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) for delivering on a Saturday unless Amazon was paying for the run.

Broke down after doing the math and ordered SpeedHut gauges. It would have cost me over a grand to finish out my build, with the tooling and items, not counting my labor.

SpeedHuts get me 90% there and the car on the road that much faster.

Taking it easy on the fingers, Dr. said I will have 100% success at keeping my fingers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) That is because I now have the blood flow that he can fix anything that might go wrong with surgery (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Was not expecting that out of his mouth I was hoping I was in the clear, and be back in action in a week or two. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 18 2016, 08:47 AM
Post #232

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 18 2016, 08:58 AM) *

Taking it easy on the fingers, Dr. said I will have 100% success at keeping my fingers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) That is because I now have the blood flow that he can fix anything that might go wrong with surgery (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Was not expecting that out of his mouth I was hoping I was in the clear, and be back in action in a week or two. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 18 2016, 09:32 AM
Post #233

Scott you are a sick puppy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Finger number one.

I was successful in my attempt to make this finger shorter.

Attached Image

And this one I decided to unsuccessfully modify. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image

I am off all pain killers now, only time it hurts is when I run it into something, or my wife helps me wrap my finger and squeezes the nail bed to keep the dressing in place.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)

Happened two weeks ago, they look remarkably well. I have full function, I can say all dressed up in white, it makes them stand out for non verbal communications.
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Jul 18 2016, 11:31 AM
Post #234

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154

QUOTE(914forme @ Jul 18 2016, 11:32 AM) *

Scott you are a sick puppy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Finger number one.

I was successful in my attempt to make this finger shorter.

And this one I decided to unsuccessfully modify. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I am off all pain killers now, only time it hurts is when I run it into something, or my wife helps me wrap my finger and squeezes the nail bed to keep the dressing in place.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)

Happened two weeks ago, they look remarkably well. I have full function, I can say all dressed up in white, it makes them stand out for non verbal communications.

I am actually quite squeamish about this kind of stuff but everybody needs a real life reminder every once in a while about the importance of workshop safety.

It does look like it it healing really well.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jul 18 2016, 11:44 AM
Post #235

OWWWWWW! (read this in your outside voice)

Dang Steve. You got those good. Amazing what a sanding/grinding tool will do to some soft flesh. I had a much smaller one TOUCH my thumb for a second over a month ago. I mean BARELY. Still don't have all the layers of skin back. Wearing gloves now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) .
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 18 2016, 12:38 PM
Post #236

QUOTE(Amenson @ Jul 18 2016, 01:31 PM) *

I am actually quite squeamish about this kind of stuff but everybody needs a real life reminder every once in a while about the importance of workshop safety.

It does look like it it healing really well.

Yes it does, I had a bunch of older trade guys in doing electrical work the other day. And they asked what I did. All of them turned white as a ghost, and said its always use old guys that get hurt. The young ones seem to remember that this stuff can bite. And when it does it does very well.

I still have not cleaned the shop floor, or looked behind the shield of the sander for the piece of metal I'm missing. Not sure I am ready to relive this experience, and I am trying to avoid most things that remind me of what happened. It is bad enough to see every day.

So learn from me wear your safety gear.
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Jul 18 2016, 12:53 PM
Post #237

Member No.: 18,986

nice job seam welding. In my attempts at seam welding (old BMW 320) I kept getting contamination from the seam sealer stuck underneath the seam. How did you get it clean enough to seam weld?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 18 2016, 01:32 PM
Post #238

QUOTE(jmitro @ Jul 18 2016, 02:53 PM) *

nice job seam welding. In my attempts at seam welding (old BMW 320) I kept getting contamination from the seam sealer stuck underneath the seam. How did you get it clean enough to seam weld?

Thank you

I used a combination of things.

A fail like this! it cuts out seam sealer like a dog eats brisket!

Attached Image

A vibrating scraper, these can be used for more than just cutting drywall.

Attached Image

Heat from a Mapp torch, do this in a well vented area, or with positive air flow mask.

And hand tools from a junked wood chisel to dental picks. I then go back with a hammer and dolly to seal the joint back up if I lifted it getting the sealer out. Luckily on the 914 the seam sealer sticks like crazy, but does not get into the joint unless the joint was lifted. Your 320 might had sealer with a more capillary action.

Also heat from the welder will burn stuff out of the joint, just need to do short seams, start in a clean section, and head towards the dirty part. The heat will burn out the crap. Hit it with a wire brush, and go again.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Jul 19 2016, 09:48 AM
Post #239

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 18 2016, 01:44 PM) *

Wearing gloves now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) .

Choose your gloves carefully. Abrasive and cutting surfaces can grab cloth and yank your hand in. Gloves are not a free pass, it's just a different set of hazards.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 19 2016, 05:53 PM
Post #240

QUOTE(mbseto @ Jul 19 2016, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jul 18 2016, 01:44 PM) *

Wearing gloves now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) .

Choose your gloves carefully. Abrasive and cutting surfaces can grab cloth and yank your hand in. Gloves are not a free pass, it's just a different set of hazards.

Been wondering about that, I really don't like gloves except nitrile gloves, keeps my hands clean. But have had wire wheels take the fingers of them off. I also have a set of kevlar I use when working with sheet metal. This happened with a piece of 1/4" steel, did not even have a set of gloves on.

I am open to suggestions though.

I joke with my wife I need steel plate gloves.
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 01:31 PM