Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Signal Single Orange 74 EG33 Swap, Gone but not forgotten
914forme
post Oct 22 2016, 06:50 PM
Post #281

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

One was the blanks for my transmission mount spacers. I then chucked it in the lathe and trued up the end I had cut on my vertical band saw. Re mounted it into saw, and cut it in half to make the pieces I need. I then drilled them and added some lightening holes to the spacers.

Attached Image

Parts came in over the past couple of days. Rear parking brake bows are very nice. I also got some spacers so I can get the rear wheels off the trailing arms. And a set of U tabs for moving mine on my arms, I could make them, some times its easier to just purchase the item, it will still need to be modded to work on my car.

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 22 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #282

I started working on my front sway bar arms. I got these pieces off the circle track boys. They where heavy as hell. I trimmed them down and added lightening holes to get them down in weight.

This is how I ran it for years.

Attached Image

And this is what the weighed.

Attached Image

Remember you have two of these so almost 6 pounds worth of arms.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 22 2016, 07:09 PM
Post #283

I am basing my design off the H&H swaybars. Which also is called the RSR style.

Attached Image

I lay everything out on this plate

Attached Image

I then will cut them out, weld all 4 together, then drill the holes out, cut out all 4 together, and then run them all through the disc sander to clean them up. Stick a couple of bolts in them and add them weld them to the arm pieces I cut off earlier.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 22 2016, 07:14 PM
Post #284

Last thing I did was figure out where to mount the coil pack at.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 23 2016, 06:56 AM
Post #285

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Super awesome stuff! Love the CFR suspension and your other mods! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

However:
I'm in this year's Build-Off, too, and less than 3 weeks in, I can see I'm already falling behind!

As a fellow "competitor", I insist you slow way down and constantly change your design plans so you have to redo everything at least three times.

Thanks in advance.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Oct 23 2016, 08:37 AM
Post #286

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 22 2016, 09:14 PM) *

Last thing I did was figure out where to mount the coil pack at.

Think I'd mount it here....,.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 23 2016, 09:22 AM
Post #287

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) It is your so you would know best. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Thanks Bob

That being said I have a plan that might occupy that space. That is unless Scott convinces me an exhaust feed snail is the way to go. I flip and flop like a fish, I need to be (IMG:style_emoticons/default/splat.gif)

Tygaboy, yes I have been over on your thread also, nice stuff going on over there.

Trust me I will redo everything at least three times. That is part of the reason the spacers got made. Did not want to redo the trans mount for the third time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Back to it, if you think those CFR suspension bits are cool, just wait (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Oct 23 2016, 12:41 PM
Post #288

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Cool you're using that coil setup. I knew I wouldn't so it would just sit in a box. You should have the mount that Bob made if you want to mount it where he had it.

BTW I think my TPS was bad. Only the ugly looking spare didn't bounce around all over the place with the Ohm meter when I tested it. Should help with the idle. I'll let you know in a couple hours!

+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 23 2016, 02:54 PM
Post #289

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Now I need to find Bob's mount I hate misplacing stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I did make a nice cardboard mockup of the coil mount back on the trunk wall.

I was going to build it out of 20ga, and be all artsy.

Attached Image

I transfer markings on cardboard via my trusty Dyekem - a little dab on the point and you can transfer the center of the hole my barely making contact.

Attached Image

Squared corners mount is made up.

Attached Image

Now to get the it to fit nicer around the coil. Trick number 2, masking tape and a knife, stretch it across the corner and cut it out. I can careful transfer it to metal. Then file it to fit.

Attached Image

That is if to the coil mount as, I am not ready to transfer it to metal, it was a quick project while I waited for stuff to cool off.

More work to come, I will update latter tonight.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 23 2016, 05:24 PM
Post #290

So I got busy today, you saw the coil mount above, needs a little tweaking and it will be good to go.

I worked on my swaybar arms.

First up drilling all of them. I welded them all together, and started making metal shavings.

Attached Image

Got them all drilled spent some time working out the details. Here they are all welded up. Looks like I need to still slot one of the arms.

Attached Image

And I saved a little bit of weight once done.

Attached Image

This is my swaybar, Nascar Items, with roller bearings that self align. Now binding what so ever.

Attached Image

Yes it is a huge bar, 30mm to be exact. And nope I don't have an issue with understeer, we will see what the new setup does.

Attached Image

I installed it and one arm to make sure I could move it through all the locations, and not have the drop links bind. In-order to do this I had to move the U bracket back to the stock location. Yes the drop link is bent, thats what happens when you forget to remove the drop link and it got wedged, then bent.

Attached Image

All the way up arms hitting bottom of trunk floor.

Attached Image

Full droop

Attached Image

There was another post on 914world on how to install swaybars, so I grabbed my H&H bar and built a weld on nut plate for it. I did two of them in 20 minutes. Why spend $60+ for the factory parts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Will go into the media blaster before installation on another 914.

Attached Image

Started working on a new engine cart, the wood one is pain. Always in the way.

Attached Image

Cut off the old U tabs from the arm, and welded on the new ones. Will need to get these painted.

Attached Image

And it seemed only fitting to finish up the night of work back in the trunk. I cleaned the bottom of the cut Bruce sent me, dykemed it, and celcoed it to the car. Once I get the engine dropped again, I will take my scribe, mark it, and the then cut outside the lines to allow me to file it to a almost perfect fit.

Attached Image

Oh and one last thing, we are coming up on November so I though I would grace you all with my finder. Not making some sort of commit here, just showing how it is healing.

Attached Image

Looks almost normal. Nail still growing out, it has come a long way from being gone.

This angle you can tell how well I screwed it up.

Attached Image

I am grateful everyday that it turned out as well as it has. Could have been so much worse, I am one lucky SOB. And so glad I went to an ER that was trained to do hand reconstruction. I have full feeling in that finger, matter of fact I can feel a bone spur in it. But then again, it could have just as easily been gone.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 29 2016, 05:28 PM
Post #291

Family had other plans last night so that gave me some spare time in the garage. Whats a guy to do. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Well first things first finish a couple of other projects.

Engine stand finished welding up the last caster mount and mounted these casters.

Attached Image

Next up cut the swaybar arm I did not finish last week.

Next I got to work on a new project. Needed to figure out where and how the cables are going to go, so I followed an epic build "Jeff Hail's Bring Out the Dead thread, and so kindly lifted this idea out of it.

So first up the frame:

Attached Image

Next up these little beauties.

Attached Image

Made the with my two most used tools in the workshop now.

Horizontal band saw (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached Image

And my Sherline Metal Lathe

Attached Image

This is the parking brake handle I used out of an 90-98 964. Has a flat bottom. Early 911 will also work, and be more traditional. That later 911 and Boxster stuff will work, but requires a more complicated mount.

Attached Image

Today

I milled down one side of the cable stops, welded everything up, and it works, Here is where and how I am installing it in my 914. I will need to add some pieces to bolt it to the tunnel.

Attached Image

I then switched gears and un wrapped the unknown seats I purchased. They are Cobra RS's very nice.

Attached Image

Had to toss one in the car and see how well they fit you know for testing purposes.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Not bad I think I can make these work. So I sat in it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) My shoulders are way above the top of the seat. Matter of fact they are above the top of the head rest. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Well I guess I will be selling these cheap.

Onto more pressing things getting the car done.

When I bolted up the rear arms and mounted the tires, I had an issue with the new
CFR bracing that it rubbed the tire.

Okay I got a 3mm and 7mm spacers to try and see if I could make it work. At full droop. It works with the 7mm spacer added. Roll the arm up with weight on it, and the tire still rubs, just barely but rubs.

So looks like I will be modifying my new part.

Attached Image

Speaking of modifying CFR parts, well I just had to Chris' stuff is so nice, but I just could not help myself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Added a Toe Link to the outer pivots and cut Chris' off.

Attached Image

I also machined my rear brake caliper spacers.

Attached Image

I then took the arms back off, and finished installing the 911 paring brake bows and springs.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 29 2016, 05:43 PM
Post #292

Next up tried to install the front struts so I could get some measurements done, and ran into a ton of problems. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Looks like the powder coater did not seal the ball joint hole and added a few 1000thds of powder to the surface, making it not fit.

Scraped it out, and then wire brushed it.

Attached Image

Plumbing tools to the rescue.

Attached Image

3/4" wire brush worked wonders.

This is the area I will need to modify on the CFR trailing arms. So nice an purdy but you can see the rubbing all ready.

Attached Image

I then started measure up the rear suspension ears and getting ready to (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) some stuff. And found that my ears are off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Well I guess now there is no looking back, I need to finish measuring the chassis, make sure it is still square and I did not twist it at some point. I had one off track excursion a while back, and hit a drain culvert. No apparent damage, and the car always aligned just fine. One of the ears is off, not sure which one, but it is. At least according to my rear suspension fixture.

Attached Image

Finished off the day with some panel fitting in the rear trunk, and did not take a picture of it, but then it is not done.

Tomorrow I will check my measurements, and then grab the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) and see whats up. Seems like somebody really wants me to move the rear suspension points. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Maybe it is Chris' way of hexing me for modifying his nice shine parts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I also need to spend some time with some cardboard, tape, and a measuring tool. I have an (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) more than likely it will not work. I m really hoping it does.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Oct 29 2016, 06:34 PM
Post #293

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

CFR trailing arms, center mount ebrakes, changing suspension points... you and I share the same great ideas! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I am watching closely and plan to steal shamelessly! Keep up the great work!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Oct 31 2016, 10:05 AM
Post #294

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Looks like you are making up for lost time!
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 31 2016, 12:22 PM
Post #295

Nope that time is lost, this is just my normal pace on anything I focus on.

Yesterday.

Where the heck did I put the scribe, which lead to me cleaning the shop, which lead to me finding the scribe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) and which lead to me thinking I need to purchase more scribes!!

All the metal lost from the work on Friday and Saturday. Always make you feel good to have a pan full of shavings.

Attached Image

I then got to work on the rear trunk fill section. I got part of it to level out, then tack, hammer, grind, tack, hammer, grind, tack, hammer, grind, etc.... Welder was running like crap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) Would barely do anything, checked everything over and found a loose ground. Good I thought I found the issue, move on. Then I started back in, still welding like crap. I have gas, so that is not the issue. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) It is HTP easy grind wire, in a 0,23" diameter. More than likely become filler rod for my TIG, as the stuff just seems to suck. It does grind rather easily, and cleans up well. And to make it all worse when it does start to run correctly, it will break and the feed will ball it up in the machine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

This is how far I got, with it.

Attached Image

And then I ran out of CO2 /Argon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) I think I will switch to all Argon tanks, and keep 3 of them around, one on each welder one spare. At least until I finish this project.

Panel fits really tight , I just need to push the upper section into place. I just wedge a 2x2 under the one section, get it just right and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

So I have been dreading working on the pedal. All sorts of variables going on, and I keep procrastinating the build. I started with a mockup, but then tossed it away, and just went to metal. Chemdyed it up, and started marking things. A cut here a whole there, a few more cuts and this is what I ended up with.

Need to make a reinforcement piece to reduce flex under the floor board, and also to accept the front suspension arm bolt at the rear location.

Attached Image

I then started woking the back side, and made a piece to cover the M/C and keep them tidy. I still need to make the two side pieces. This will unbolt to gain access the the MC's just incase you need to RR one of them.

Attached Image

After that I worked on the cooling system placement of items.

I would love to see the front trunk, but can't figure out an easy way to do that. There is room for a 14x12 RAD behind the light buckets into the fender, if you made it 14 x 14 the tubes could be in the trunk area, making it easier to hook up Both sides would have a larger cooling capacity than my current griffen, so that is doable That leads you to no 14x14 rads unless you get the custom made. And that equals $$$$

So long of the short, I still have not quite decided how to mount the rad. I do know that it will most likely change several times before I get the final pieces done.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Oct 31 2016, 01:01 PM
Post #296

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Stephen,
That tire rub spot on the trailing arm reinforcement can be mitigated by carefully "denting" the reinforcement with a hammer.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 31 2016, 01:46 PM
Post #297

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Your sway bar setup looks familiar!
Yours however is finished while mine has been unfinished for 10 years...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ic=50483&hl

Your progress makes me jealous!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 31 2016, 05:08 PM
Post #298

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 31 2016, 03:01 PM) *

Stephen,
That tire rub spot on the trailing arm reinforcement can be mitigated by carefully "denting" the reinforcement with a hammer.

Oh thank you Chris, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) it is

Andrew, I can't remember when I did the swaybar. I have run it for a long long time, and it works great, the bearings actually make it hard to setup the bar, as it rotates all the time. Once it is done, smooth as butter. But then great minds think alike (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 3 2016, 06:43 PM
Post #299

Tonight I messed around with the placement of items.

I followed Scott's lead with PORSTI and got a 15 gall tank for the front trunk. Also figured out my rad venting through the hood. Will be filling in the side discharges. Might add a tube to feed my brakes cool air.

I was then working on a way to get some front trunk space. Finally gave up on that idea, just to much stuff going back into the car, and the fuel tank area will be filled with fluid canisters, Heat and AC comments, and a battery. I might have enough room for a cooler up there, that would be nice. Or maybe a spot for a small tool box spare parts for road trips.

Lots of space in there, but just don't feel like building custom box sections and the like. Who knows, I might get there still, right now I have 6 months to get this thing on the road to make a goal I have. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/birthday3.gif)

I also put the Career seats back into the car, and a stock seat. there is 3/4" different. with the stock top I fit, with 3/4" head room. So my head scrapes with the Carrera seats.

But if I put the 944 roof, I have room (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) And I even fit with my helmet on if I open the sun roof, which I planned on doing anyway to vent cabin pressure. So Woo Hoo!!!!!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Now I have to do the 944, Also have to tell a buyer I changed my mind and eat crow.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 6 2016, 06:46 PM
Post #300

Well another weekend come and gone.

I spent most of the weekend working on winterizing equipment, and doing some brake work on our work truck. 209,000+ miles the backers are toast, and had to order some new ones to get the truck back on the road.

But while I had down time, I got some stuff done on the 914.

Started working on the front, as well it is what was accessible. So I wanted to finalize the front rad opening and made more questions that I started with.

Prepped the front spoiler, man this thing does not fit well. But I got it close, will be opening up the front sheetmetal. I will make a transition piece to funnel air into the rad space. The spoiler lip will sit over the top of it.

Attached Image

I am not trying to decide if I open up the bumper. It would only be up an inch, but would make an interesting transition. So I think it will happen.

Attached Image

With that setup done and decision made, I moved onto the rad mount mockup and decisions on how I am going to mount all this stuff. I used the stock Subaru rad mounts.

Attached Image

These will be threaded for the bolts and welded onto the chassis.

Attached Image

I then jumped in with both feet, and cut a shock tower out. Why the Hell Would you do that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

To install these (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Another item from Mr. Foley and Tangerine Racing. Camber boxes, it fixes my nice camber and caster enhancements. I used a big hammer, powered by air, and a cut off wheel.

Attached Image

I don't have access to the other side, so I jumped to the last thing for the day.

I removed some of my swaybar re-enfoecments, so I could add a section around cut out to re-enforce that area. So lots of grinding and cutting to get a 1" strip out so I can just weld in another piece of 16 gauge.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 06:05 PM