Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Signal Single Orange 74 EG33 Swap, Gone but not forgotten
Amenson
post Nov 7 2016, 09:04 AM
Post #301

That's opposite lock!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,154
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 6 2016, 08:46 PM) *

I removed some of my swaybar re-enfoecments, so I could add a section around cut out to re-enforce that area. So lots of grinding and cutting to get a 1" strip out so I can just weld in another piece of 16 gauge.

...and I am sure you will weld it back in using your fancy new TIG welder so that you don't have to grind welds when you are done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Nov 7 2016, 11:16 AM
Post #302

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(mbseto @ Oct 31 2016, 11:05 AM) *

Looks like you are making up for lost time!

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 31 2016, 01:22 PM) *

Nope that time is lost, this is just my normal pace on anything I focus on.

Well, heck, you should swing down to Cincy sometime!

BTW, for future reference, re: post #292:

...should you need to remove powder coat ... CRC gasket remover...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2304334

Love all the ideas in this thread.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 7 2016, 12:44 PM
Post #303

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Im down here 5 times a week

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 13 2016, 06:42 PM
Post #304

Well long week traveling and nothing done on the 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I have real good friends in Vegas though and made arrangements that when the car is done, and sorted, I can ship it out to their place and pick it up for a west coast run. And yes you two can drive it until I get there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) make you remember what it was like to drive a real car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Their current stable includes an M4, I am sure my little 914 will be able to scare the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) out of them.

One thing I did notice, no E85, living in corn country really spoils us. I can get E85 on almost ever street corner. With E85 in the tank, my little car can take positive pressure with out engine reconfiguration. With out it will have to stay NA (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Oh other thing that sucked, coming back from very nice 70 degree 30% humidity to 28 degree and 60% humidity. I need to move desert. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 19 2016, 02:43 PM
Post #305

Well yesterday UPS man showed up with some new goodies.

Rebel Racing adjustable spring perches.

Attached Image

And installed

Attached Image

Need a set of helper springs and separator. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Also need to lathe down the spacer again for Tangerine's Rear shock mount. The nylox section is not on the threads.

Attached Image

And then after that, I grabbed some sheet metal and :smashed: this out.

Attached Image

Attached Image

I really need to get myself a brake, but the vice does such a nice job. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) All the hammer marks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Oh it also shows the flare detail.

And this is what it is meant to hold.

Attached Image

Then today I worked on my Truck, and then got a bit of time on the 914.

Started working on the fuel tank, it is related honestly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Drilled it for the in tank fuel pump.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Making a backer to sandwich the mount to the tank, and give the studs something to bit into.

Attached Image

Got the power wire isolated and the ground lug installed also.

Attached Image

All this to put this in the car.

Attached Image

Walbro pump will support e85 and will push enough fuel to reach my goals (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Here is the reason I chose the location I did.

Attached Image

The Pump will be centered up, screen sits about 3/8" off the bottom. And the return dumps right into the baffle in the stock tank. Hopefully that will keep me from having to run a fuel sump. We will see, going lean can cause some serious damage,

Yes I know it is a rusty bottom tank, I need to get it cleaned and sealed. First I need to modify it to clear the camber plates.

Not sure if I should just (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) it? Or take the time to cut it apart, and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) pieces back in then get it sealed. One thing for sure it does not fit the way it is right now.

I also need to get gas for the welders, but with the truck being down, hauling cylinders was not my top priority.

And snow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif), guess our mild fall is over (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Nov 20 2016, 09:50 AM
Post #306

That's opposite lock!!

Back to using the stock tank? I thought that there was other stuff going in that space.

What fuel pump is that?
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 20 2016, 11:51 AM
Post #307

Well I keep flopping like a fish.

In reality you bring up a few good points.

Aftermarket tank = easier

Venting through the hood = easier

Camber boxes with out trunk tank separation = easier

Adding tie in across the camber boxes DOM

Building a area to store everything = easier

A/C I have found a place to tuck it, with some cutting and a remote fan. It will retain full defrost, heat, and cooling both floor and dash vents. And have circulation of cabin air, very important in Humid Ohio!

So Scott as usual you snap me back into reality. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Answer your question.

It is a Walbro F90000267 - a 450 LPH E85 fuel pump
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 20 2016, 06:30 PM
Post #308

So thanks to Scott, I went out after running around with the wife and got a few hours in the shop.

First cleaned up, hate working in a jumbled mess.

So after that, I fixed this little hole for the antenna. Who needs a radio antenna anymore.

Attached Image

After that in an effort to do more things twice to five times on my car. I got out my fuel cell and sat it in the front trunk.

Attached Image

Look familiar Scott (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

This is where the A/C unit will go, just need to cut it out.

Attached Image

This will allow this area to have a battery down low, and the brake reservoirs.

Attached Image

I then decided there is no time like the present. So I marked a line, and started cutting.

Attached Image

Which then allowed for this to sit in place.

Attached Image

Well I am done for the night wife is back home time to spend some time with her (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Nov 22 2016, 08:12 AM
Post #309

That's opposite lock!!

QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 20 2016, 07:30 PM) *

So thanks to Scott, I went out after running around with the wife and got a few hours in the shop.

Attached Image

Look familiar Scott (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I was sort of hoping that you would continue the in tank pump setup on the stock tank so that I could copy it for Doug's car!

I forgot where you are planning to run your cooling lines but if you are thinking about doing it like I did mine, I highly recommend finding a way to run the lines straight out of the passages above the steering rack hump and alongside the fuel tank. Even if it requires cutting a chunk out of the sides tank.

That AC unit is going to fit great!

Cheers,
Scott
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 22 2016, 11:25 AM
Post #310

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Which AC unit is that? I see its a mock up. Looks like the unit I want to use..

Also your steering shaft is right there, you might want to move it over a couple inches.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 22 2016, 11:51 AM
Post #311

Vintage Air Mini Space Saver with heat and defrost. All Electric servos, so controls can be mounted where ever.

I will be using the 4 rotary knob controls, and add a set of center vents right under the controls.

It just misses the steering shaft, and joints. Thank you for the reminder as it is easy to miss that stuff.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 22 2016, 12:24 PM
Post #312

Spooling.... Please wait

Did you cut up the mock up? Mind if I buy the mock up off you when your done as thats the unit I was going to purchase. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(I figured thats what it was as it looked similar)

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 22 2016, 12:25 PM
Post #313

Spooling.... Please wait

PS that shock tower looks thick!
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Nov 22 2016, 01:28 PM
Post #314

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 22 2016, 02:25 PM) *

PS that shock tower looks thick!

Only the top plate.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 6 2017, 10:48 AM
Post #315

Well as of Saturday it has been 6 months since I modified my fingers with a larger disc sander.

Here is the update, everything is looking really good. I am grateful everyday as this could have been much worse. I have feeling in all the fingers, they work they way they should. My nail is even growing out flat, and getting back to normal. Only issue I have right now, is stuff gets pushed under there, and it is a real bitch to clean out.

So 6 months ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

And now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Also the last update for this car for a while, as I am putting it on hold to complete another project. I put the EG build back onto the rotisserie.

Attached Image

This frees up my easy car lift to go under the 914-6 allowing me to do suspension, brakes, and clean the underside, etc.... Eventually will allow for the engine to be installed.

I need to build a dolly for this one anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I also pulled the EG33 off the engine stand in preparation for the 914-6 engine to go onto it for inspection and complete the rebuild.

Oh and Murphy decided to pay my house a visit and wrecked my furnace. So that was a serious hit to the budget. I guess heat is more important, than cars. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 21 2017, 08:05 PM
Post #316

Well it has been awhile and Kent called me out.

So here you go Kent.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

A year has passed since I ran my fingers into a 3400 RPM 12" disc sander. And this is how they turned out. Do not look bad at all. I am very grateful this was the outcome.

So this car, not much has gone on, I have purchased / upgraded a few parts, and will be selling off the items these replaced. My car funds are a bit short, as I sold my TDI to VW, who promptly sent me a check. To which I purchased a 2008 MB ML320 CDI. I can tow 7000 pounds, cruise in luxury, and still get 25-30MPG. Towing I get 18-20 MPG. I am quite pleased with it, and wished I got one sooner. That being said it has tapped me out on car funds as it required a lot of tools to service this bugger. I like tools but come on MB, then again I have a ton of VAG tools all ready so is it really any different (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) And I have purchased a bunch of 911 engine tools (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) I really should not complain about tools. And I have more that I would like to have (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Oh and my son's have seem to find an affinity for taking out small animals at high rates of speeds. One took his STI and took out a ground hog not once twice. The other one took out an opossum with his Rabbit.

What started out is a simple repair ended up, being a complete front end tear down. Blew the entire lower rad mounts out, the rad support, the inner air guides, the bumper support, and a few other things (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) Oh and I found the odd leak he had on this car. At some point some one put the screw on the right to hold the AC lines to the Radiator boss. It should be the size of the one on the left, not the right, they are used to hold door cards to the door.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 21 2017, 09:26 PM
Post #317

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I understand the $$$ part but don't stay away from your project too long. There are some other 3.3 fans that need your support. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 22 2017, 08:52 PM
Post #318

The 914-6 is the main focus right now, like to get it done and get dad out for a ride in it.

That rabbit just won't go back together, today I found out that new core support is from a Jetta, I would have to change the entire front end , lights grills, fenders, hood, and bumper to use it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

And then to make matters worse, the new Radiator and the old A/C condenser did not fit well. A/C condenser was bowed in the middle, rad straight as an arrow. Put the AC condenser over my leg and bent it back semi flat. Hopefully I did not bust the system open (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I have to tools to fix it, just did not have a tank, otherwise I would just pulled vacuum and purged the system. Popped gauges on it, and it is still pressurized, check again in the morning to see, here to hoping something went right on that car.

Oh the Rabbit Core support NLA from VW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) So I might be getting the wielders, staplers and epoxy back out. Scott I might need to borrow my double barreled epoxy gun back. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 23 2017, 07:48 AM
Post #319

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

I missed the 914-6 part of this story! Is that in another thread?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jul 23 2017, 07:08 PM
Post #320

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 23 2017, 09:48 AM) *

I missed the 914-6 part of this story! Is that in another thread?

[url=1970 914-6 restoration project - longest know to man - 1976, back on track]Here you go[/url]

You can still call me a slacker though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:33 AM