Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 17 18  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Signal Single Orange 74 EG33 Swap, Gone but not forgotten
76-914
post Jan 21 2019, 10:27 AM
Post #346

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Surely you need another welder by now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 21 2019, 10:53 AM
Post #347

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Kent, funny you should mention that I get a call every month from my welding / gas supplier. I guess he is missing my business.

Since I upgraded tank sizes, I am still on the same tanks I have had. Also been lazy and have to swapped the MIG back over from flux core.

The TIG I am still dropping my Tungstens in to the pool, so that is not going as well as I hoped.

The Gas rig is sitting in the drawer, don't even have the bottles for it anymore. Plasma cutter and band saws have replaced it.

The AC / DC buzz box as not been used for 10 plus years, last thing I did was drag it out for a buddy to weld a cast iron manifold. Same weekend I used it to repair a Pig scale for the FFA group.

So do I really need a new welder, I guess if I tried hard enough I could justify one.

The 914-6 Project will be getting some of the welders attention. A few brackets too weld onto its chassis. Not much just a few small items, sway bar brackets, suspension console reinforcements, and a toe bracket I have designed that is sitting on a note pad next to the computer.

What I could use is a CNC plasma for big stuff and CNC laser that could do lets say 14ga and lighter.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 22 2019, 10:14 AM
Post #348

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(914forme @ Jan 21 2019, 08:53 AM) *

Kent, funny you should mention that I get a call every month from my welding / gas supplier. I guess he is missing my business.

Since I upgraded tank sizes, I am still on the same tanks I have had. Also been lazy and have to swapped the MIG back over from flux core.

The TIG I am still dropping my Tungstens in to the pool, so that is not going as well as I hoped.

The Gas rig is sitting in the drawer, don't even have the bottles for it anymore. Plasma cutter and band saws have replaced it.

The AC / DC buzz box as not been used for 10 plus years, last thing I did was drag it out for a buddy to weld a cast iron manifold. Same weekend I used it to repair a Pig scale for the FFA group.

So do I really need a new welder, I guess if I tried hard enough I could justify one.

The 914-6 Project will be getting some of the welders attention. A few brackets too weld onto its chassis. Not much just a few small items, sway bar brackets, suspension console reinforcements, and a toe bracket I have designed that is sitting on a note pad next to the computer.

What I could use is a CNC plasma for big stuff and CNC laser that could do lets say 14ga and lighter.

Miller has a sale going on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) I don't have a TIG so I still use my Oxy/Acy rig for thin metals if warpage isn't an item. I think you should throw you hat in the ring for some Suby mounts/cradles. Stay busy and hang in there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jan 22 2019, 04:31 PM
Post #349

My brother in-law is a welding rep for Airgas. His large company was bought out about a year ago now. But he can purchase at his costs, so if I upgrade, and believe me having a blue box, might be in my future, though I normally go with a red one.

As for making the Subaru mounts I would have done it, just ill timing on my part. I would over complicate things, getting the tubes laser cut, and blades all bent.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 19 2020, 08:12 AM
Post #350

Project has moved on to help others hopefully finish their EG swaps.

I spent countless amounts of time thinking this over, looking at options, and finally came to this decision.

three things pushed me to this point.

One I have a real 914-6 that I need to focus on getting done.
Two, I was building a Cayman, so might as well go buy a Cayman, or Cayman S, or GT4. Trust me I was in GT4 territory, with dollars and time.
Three I happened upon a deal I could not pass that took care of a bunch of needs and wants. I picked up two BMW and replaced most of the fleet of cars I had at the time 9 total. I was setting money aside for the Cayman purchase, and got a txt from my brother-in-law who details cars as a side gig. A customer had a car he wanted to sell. 2006 BMW 7 Series, all the Alpina bits on it. 50K was the mileage. Half serious I drove the car, and fell in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) Handels great, has plenty of power, BMW CCA concours winner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) While he was showing me parts in the garage, he had an M4 I put dibs on, LOL, and an X5M. We got to talking about cars, and he was going to sell the X5M but the dealership gave him a crappy number. I asked what he wanted for it, and he told me, and I bought two cars that day. Kinda of, it is a longer story but that is an over beer sort of thing.

I started selling off parts of this build, and still have a few items to go. I also got ahold of people I knew who could use certain items to get their builds that much ahead.

Meanwhile the chassis sat in the shop, and thoughts and tormented me. 914-8 tribute car, W12 swap, on , and on, LS???? N54 swap..... On and On.

Reminds me of a song " A terrible thought has moved into my mind
Like an unwanted room-mate drunk on wine
It feeds on my happiness won't pay the rent
I must take proper measures to evict it

A terrible thought has moved into my mind
A giant rat that's nibbling on my pride
It's tearing away my patience and my wit
I must take proper measures set a trap for it

What a terrible thought

What a terrible thought..."

Thank you Poe and Mark Z. Danielewski, BTW great Cello work in that song (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Which brings us to here, I got the demon out of my head, it will be put to good use by its new owner to help resurrect a more significant 1974. But that is now part of his story, and I will let him reveal it when he wishes.

Attached Image

Sad day, as this is only the 2nd car I ever gave up on. I have restored about 30 cars over my years, and to drop 2 to this day bugs me. But I learned a lot from both, and who knows what this will allow to come into my life. Time to move on, finish a couple of projects in the shop, and off the honey do list, and get back on the 914-6.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 19 2020, 08:49 AM
Post #351

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Pretty sad to see this project die....

Moving on is a part of life.at least you have cars you can enjoy!!

+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 19 2020, 12:39 PM
Post #352

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I get it Stephen, 100%. There's just not enough time in life to do all the car stuff that we originally plan. And the 914 is almost too perfect of a starting point. You can literally do almost any swap you want. And when you commit to whatever drive train you pick, you think maybe you should have done something else. Time goes by, other options are available and (maybe) better...it's maddening. I also learned that most of the fun/torment of doing a conversion is the thinking about it, engineering, updating, problem solving, etc. You did plenty of that already.

Can't wait to see the 6 resto/refresh. That'll be time well invested for sure.
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 17 18
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 09:51 PM