Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Signal Single Orange 74 EG33 Swap, Gone but not forgotten
914forme
post Aug 1 2015, 04:35 AM
Post #81

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Yes thank you, I think I tested that, but maybe I should just plan ahead, and raise that section also. Be easier to do it now rather than latter.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 1 2015, 05:34 PM
Post #82

First of Miata sold, one less temptress in my life. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Got to work this after noon, started taking out the engine shelf pieces, just needs cleaned up not with a grinder. Need to order more disc for that too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Oh no, I busted an old hell hole repair loose, investigate that latter. No reason to open that can of worms just yet.

Attached Image

Opened up the holes for the radiator exhaust exits.

My rad opening is 26.25 sq. in. These exits combined are 67.5 sq. in. Need to re-enforce the opening, add some mesh, and then I am thinking about Louvers just to keep crap from trying to come back in. Over kill I am sure.

Started with a template.

Attached Image

Drilled my pilot holes

Attached Image

wanted a 3/4" radius on each of the holes, started to use my hole punch, but grabbed the uni-bit instead. 3/4" holes like butter.

Attached Image

Now play connect the dots with the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Attached Image

And this might be a helpful tip, after trying to get a 12" ruler in the hole to scribe the final trim line, I deceided that a sawmill blade will do the trick as a guid, and it is slightly flexible. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Attached Image

cut all the lines then ground them down to the scribe line.

Attached Image

Rinse and repeat on the other side.

Attached Image

the sign of todays progress.

Attached Image

An now for an idea, well two really.

Pink idea:

Adding 14a of steel down the inner log to catch the inside box. I would llove to run it into the cabin, and tie into the egmann kit. Any benefit?

Blue Idea. Adding a semi jointed rod from the ear up to the seat belt retractor Nice stiff area of the firewall, maybe it will work.location. Thoughts, open to suggestions.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 2 2015, 05:50 PM
Post #83

Finished cutting and grinding all the engine shelf bits out.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Trunk Pivots, have been fixed multiple times.

Attached Image

May Just order these and save myself a future frustration.

Attached Image

Next up Hell Hole repair, Chassis stiffening for the 3rd go around, and well lots of grinding on old race car additions. Never had to look pretty just had to be functional and strong.

BTW, Steam cleaner with a mixture of Zap Industrial De-greaser and distilled Water will do this.

Attached Image

Now to do the rest of it, once I have all the metal dust cleaned up.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 2 2015, 11:13 PM
Post #84

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 1 2015, 04:34 PM) *

Attached Image

An now for an idea, well two really.

Pink idea:

Adding 14a of steel down the inner log to catch the inside box. I would llove to run it into the cabin, and tie into the egmann kit. Any benefit?

Blue Idea. Adding a semi jointed rod from the ear up to the seat belt retractor Nice stiff area of the firewall, maybe it will work.location. Thoughts, open to suggestions.

Attached Image

Blue idea will give you more strength than the pink idea... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Aug 3 2015, 07:54 AM
Post #85

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154

With all that cleared out of the way there is plenty of room for a turbo now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 5 2015, 07:06 PM
Post #86

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I have my plans still trying to figure out what I want to do. In reality the turbo is easier than the supercharger I was thinking about. I could mock it up, and do one, a twin scroll might be the way to go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Biggest issue is compression E85 helps with that, as would methanol injection. The intercooler gets to be an issue.

Air to Water
Air to Air in engine compartment, maybe even STI sprayer
Air to Air like Marty's car, in the rear trunk. I would like to have trunk space as I would like to drive the 914 all over the US and Canada.
Also would like to be able to ice it down, for auto-x and track events. Or if I feel like seeing if I can get into the 10s on the strip.

I think I could run the stock engine with a low boast level as long as I used tricks to keep the pistons from melting.

Okay back to progress.

Last night, I spent cleaning, and mocking up cuts, and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Steam cleaner did an excellent job
.Attached Image

To use the GT head light cable setup, you have to cut an additional slit in the head light bucket.

So I marked up one side waiting on the water to come up to steam. Used the plate on one side to set my inner dimension.

Attached Image

Used a Nut to set the other side, it just wider than the bolt that holds the latch mechanism.
Attached Image

Scribed the final line, ~3/8" wide, make it easier to round the corners.

Attached Image

I then steamed some more.

Attached Image

I then worked on the triangles getting them more in shape than they where.

Attached Image

Thats it for now, off to read up on twin scroll turbos. :evil grin: Also thinking that maybe a pressure washer blast, would get me part of the quicker. The caked on stuff steam does a good job on, seems like a waste to wait for steam, when part of it is just years of dirt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I guess I could run it into the big city, and get it steamed that the Freightliner dealer.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 10 2015, 06:28 AM
Post #87

Weekend and back into the shop, long slow process of cleaning the bottom is done, at least round one. Need to fix all the surface rust, scuff all the paint, clean it again, and shot some epoxy primer on it. Then Wurth, and then a color coat,

Attached Image

I also started work on the hell hole repair.

Templates are a good thing.

Attached Image

I will be doing something slightly different I am going with plan "a" above to fix the hell hole region. I will do hybrid plan "b" but move the pickup to shock tower area. More on that latter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Other items done, but no picture documentation.

GT headlight latch scribed on the other side.

Spent most of Saturday driving around swapping parts, meeting people, and having a good day of it. Thank you Eric (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif), and thank you Mike for the sheetmetal! Now to see if I can put it to good use. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 10 2015, 06:57 AM
Post #88

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Are you removing the engine bar motor mounts.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 10 2015, 07:15 AM
Post #89

Nope, using a Small Car Mount and an early -4 engine bar. With a few other tricks I have moved the engine forward. So the only cut I have currently is the trunk for the clutch slave.

I need to dimple the firewall if I want to run the stock air snorkel with the flipped stock manifold. That part is easy.

Now using the small car mount did give me a few other issues though. Mainly all the oil filters I had on hand did not fit. I'll get to that, a little latter. Not a huge deal as I will most likely add a remote filter, and have to figure out how to incorporate the Accusump anyway.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 12 2015, 09:29 PM
Post #90

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Amenson @ Aug 3 2015, 08:54 AM) *

With all that cleared out of the way there is plenty of room for a turbo now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Speaking of turbo'd EG33's...anyone seen this nasty thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dBql7tSIts

Looks like it's pretty well done. He cut the middle of the intake and turned it 180 degrees so it would sit right. Rewelded it at the 6 "star" points.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Aug 13 2015, 01:10 PM
Post #91

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 12 2015, 10:29 PM) *

Looks like it's pretty well done. He cut the middle of the intake and turned it 180 degrees so it would sit right. Rewelded it at the 6 "star" points.

It's quite the car; it runs a Syvecs ECU and as far as I know it was the first DBW EG33. The guy who built that car, Simon Roe (?) was a English tuner who died last year IIRC.

Look up Andy Forrest. He has a 1000hp 3.6L EG33 time attack car which is quite interesting as well.

Sorry for the hijack.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 13 2015, 07:13 PM
Post #92

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 13 2015, 03:10 PM) *

It's quite the car; it runs a Syvecs ECU and as far as I know it was the first DBW EG33. The guy who built that car, Simon Roe (?) was a English tuner who died last year IIRC.

Look up Andy Forrest. He has a 1000hp 3.6L EG33 time attack car which is quite interesting as well.

Sorry for the hijack.

No problem on the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif)

Andy Forrest's engine is most likely a EZ36. Nice engine, would love to have one, but will stick with the EGs for now, or until I blow them all up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Subaru six turbos are all good to me. Andy's car is crazy fast and setup very well.

+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Aug 13 2015, 08:52 PM
Post #93

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 13 2015, 07:13 PM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Aug 13 2015, 03:10 PM) *

Sorry for the hijack.

No problem on the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif)

Andy Forrest's engine is most likely a EZ36. Nice engine, would love to have one, but will stick with the EGs for now, or until I blow them all up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Subaru six turbos are all good to me. Andy's car is crazy fast and setup very well.

If you check out the engine, it's a poked and stroked EG33- I don't know if the EZ would handle that type of boost whereas the EG is fairly bulletproof for wild mods like that. All that stuff is fun to watch but the driveability goes right out the window- remember, the more boost you have the shorter your fuse is! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 13 2015, 08:59 PM
Post #94

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'll be pretty happy with the stock eg33 - hp. 3X more than my stock '71.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Aug 13 2015, 10:29 PM
Post #95

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 13 2015, 08:59 PM) *

I'll be pretty happy with the stock eg33 - hp. 3X more than my stock '71.

Even mild mods to your stock 3.3 will produce big results. A bigger TB along with larger injectors (I'm thinking 370cc) along with less restrictive exhaust and a tuned ECM will produce 300 hp fairly easily. All with the same reliability and mileage- if you can keep your foot out of it! That's a comfortable range for me... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 14 2015, 03:14 AM
Post #96

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Big injectors come fairly easy, I all ready have a set, forgot what car they came from. Nissan I think, well documented modification.

Bigger MAP is also an easy mod. Again a Nissan product.

Exhaust is the pain, and I contend it will only do you little good, because the cams are the limiting factor on this engine. You can spend the money for cams it will really bring this N/A engine up to mark. And yes the EG is built like a tank, 7 full Mains.

I read the write ups on the Green Car above. Not of Forrest's car. For me drivability is key. Low boast does put a bandaid on the cam issue. And as Scott says you got the room do something cool with it. A turbo also cuts down exhaust issues. Yes I have to build a custom header, that was already in the plans. That little spinning impeller helps knock out a lot of noise, which means I might be able to reduce muffler sizes and gain that all to critical item of space in the back of the 914. With the Subaru transmission space back their is still at a premium. And you loose the capability to use a larger Muffler like a 911 banana, or even sport style. at least on my car, even wit the engine being pushed forward as far as I could go.

Here is the key for me, I will do this in baby steps anyway. Stock EG3.3 with flipped manifold will go into the car. I will have all the lines ran for things like interceding, Larger Fuel, lines, and the like. Planning ahead. The basis for all the additions will be their, I can take my mockup engine and build it. Maybe as an N/A engine with Cams and all the tricks. 300HP N/A running on pump gas, or more on E85 would be a very nice 914 to drive around in, and especially on the auto-x. Do not want to get out of balance.

But you all know the power bug gets to people. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) And once you have 225HP, you get used to it. So 300Hp seems like a good step, you get used to that. Pretty soon, your thinking this car needs 350, 400, 500, 650, 800, 1000.

It is a slippery slope I have been down many times.
I drive TDIs as my daily driver cars. The one before this one was an insane built car. Still got 45 mpg as the day was long. But in the end I had a tune so wild, my wife was scared to drive it. I could light them up in the first 3 gears. If I got stuck in stupid traffic, the thing was a bitch to drive stop and go. As it would load up. So you would have to build enough space to let it rev a little. Which meant I was laying 11s every time traffic started to flow. Not to mention, the huge puff I would leave behind. Made me look like I was a total ass of a driver with road rage issues. I was not, just trying to keep the car running correctly. That last iteration of Jetta TDI ran a custom Malone Tune, huge hybrid turbo,DC auto front intercooler, only one they built for a 6-speed TDI. European PD 150 intake parts, cams, and injectors etc. And a full 3" exhaust that was a straight pipe. Dinky on the build was only 245HP, with a TDI its all about torque, I was at almost 550 FtP with boast pooping up, at 35PSI. We cranked the boast up to 45 for a while. Car was dysfunctional! Don't even know the kind of power I was making at that point. EG temps where alarming though, so took it back down to 35.

I had all the stuff to do it correctly, full GLI suspension and brakes, Large tires, hurt my fuel milage, and a Perloguin LSD. A very stiff South Bend Clutch, that gave my left leg a work out. Great car, the drivability and the fact that a highly tuned car takes a lot of maintenance for a daily drive caused me to sell it. It was fun to take people for rides in, it really need to be AWD, and if VW group would bring an AWD TDI over in a Golf or Jeta, or even A3, I would be buying the first used one I could find.

See it every now and again, usual passing me. And think man I wish I had that car again. So my current one, love the car, wish I had GLI suspension and brakes, and Seats, but I will keep it at a sane level of tune. Once factory warranty is out the door, I'll add a Molone tune to it. And drive it with the little extra that gives me and be happy.

Yeah right (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Tonight back to the mundane part of the build, making templates and cutting metal to fix the hell hole area. Maybe I'll get into so more fun, as I have to make a few mods to tunnel exist in the engine bay. Mine is solid, but I need to close up a few exists and add a few more entrances.

The lines running front to back are getting crazy.
Fuel x2
Water x2
A/C x2
Clutch
Brake
Battery
Electrical Harness
Engine Harness
Throttle Cable
Heater?
Intercooler x2
Cable Shifter

Missing anything?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 15 2015, 08:37 AM
Post #97

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Wow Steve, I should just copy this last post of yours and paste it into the thread asking about increasing the performance of the EG33....much better than my attempt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

Hey BTW I came across something in my searches on increasing the injector flow, changing the MAF to the Nissan Z32, etc. So it seems like unless you change to an aftermarket ECU you have to install the ECUTune chip. It's been called a few different things but I think this is the guy who makes it:

Modified SVX Chip Info

The page I linked is for the chip that compensates for the Z32/370-500cc injectors.

So the question/fyi...finally. See where it references "other options"? A couple of them mention using two MAFs. I kinda like that idea since the dual inlet throttle body is a pain to find an aftermarket substitute for. Wonder if it would work well though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ... What do you think?
+Quote Post
3d914
post Aug 15 2015, 10:49 AM
Post #98

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 10 2015, 05:28 AM) *

Templates are a good thing.

Attached Image

I will be doing something slightly different I am going with plan "a" above to fix the hell hole region. I will do hybrid plan "b" but move the pickup to shock tower area. More on that latter

Stephen, nice build. I'd definitely like to do a build with the eg33 - nice motor.

Here's an example of how you could extend P4 to reinforce the dog ear. I includes pieces on sides also. More details in my project thread.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-1191-1427659260.jpg)

Enjoy!
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 15 2015, 03:12 PM
Post #99

Chris, not sure about the dual MAFs, unless you put a logic circuit in there to work out the details.

ECU tune is a great guy, also does CAMs BTW.

Gerald,

Nice reinforcement you have there. Need to go read your thread, with the welds you have there I'm sure I'll find some more tidbits in the thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I'm tying into one I did on the lower ear a long time ago. P4 butts up against it, I could add another layer to make sure like yours. I think it will be good enough. I was more worried about the bolt hole going out of round than, the ear. I have a drop link running to the front firewall, on Hemi Joints. Will be adding a few more for triangulation, and I have just finished mocking up the outer ear reinforcements. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I'll post what I got done today, a little latter, its Mom's Birthday so got cleaned up and taking her out to dinner.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/birthday3.gif)

Then read Geralds thread, as it looks like it will be a good one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Aug 15 2015, 07:22 PM
Post #100

Today's Progress:

Finished Hell Hole Template, need to transfer it over to pasteboard, I don't have any (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image

First Major Change (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Attached Image

Drivers Side Fender is gone. That gives me access to clean a few old welds and build a few new items.

Grinding down welds, GT stiffening kit has seen some rubber in its time.

Attached Image

Started Mocking up the outer rear suspension arm pickup stiffening prices.

Two sides are done:

Attached Image

Front done:

Attached Image

Now for the fun part, the Front Skin that triangulates the entire console into the Brad Mayer 914Ltd. Rocker pieces.

Attached Image

That along with the Hemi Rod off the lower suspension mount, makes a huge difference in stiffness of the outer ear. The Hemi Rod also allows for easy toe adjustments.

Now for more fun.

Plate in seat belt pocket.

Attached Image

Front Wrap around the rocker. Ties in to three planes for this piece. Cardboard does not hold its shape like Metal.

Attached Image

That will allow me to do a removable door bar looks like this. Blue Line.

Attached Image

The Idea is that their will be another bar in the engine bay to the same location.

Also added these, need to finish it up.

Attached Image

Attached Image

More tomorrow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:11 AM