Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT : Just a little daydreaming, where could we build a 'Ring in the US
carambola
post Dec 17 2004, 03:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,007

just as the title said, where could we (being American of any sort) build our own Nurburgring. i'm almost thinking the hilly country just off the plains of colorado or tennesse or kentucky.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 17 2004, 03:35 PM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

I have always thought that we should build the LeMans course west of Paris, TX (without the wimpy chicanes in the middle of the mulsanne straight) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Then invite NASCAR to run a road race there!! That would get the French's nickers in a twist!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Hawktel
post Dec 17 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 506

Honestly this could work. Lets face it, there is some part of Eastern Oregon, Southern Idaho, North Nevada, All of Utah, all of Wyoming, some of Colorado, and certainly in Texas that ain't worth doing anything else with.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 17 2004, 05:28 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Hawktel @ Dec 17 2004, 03:02 PM)
Honestly this could work. Lets face it, there is some part of Eastern Oregon, Southern Idaho, North Nevada, All of Utah, all of Wyoming, some of Colorado, and certainly in Texas that ain't worth doing anything else with.

i've never been to any of those places, but in a country this big, it shouldn't be a problem to find a few square miles of unmolested countryside with nice elevation changes and woods and occassional rain and snow ...

the ring is one of the most challanging race tracks in the world, simply because of it's length and the "micro-climates" along the way.
the "old ring" even more so. you can start in sunshine, go through a downpour, hit some black ice and be back in sunshine, all within one lap ...

plus, there are *plenty* of trees to hit ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Dec 17 2004, 06:29 PM
Post #5

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

When Dave (Hi-Ho-Silber) and I took our cars down to SE Missouri to meet up with some good folks down there, they took us on a 17 mile loop of the wickedest twisties I've seen in MO (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif). Shelby (flatout) told us that they block off the road and run some kind of car rally. I'll have to check back with her this spring and find out more about the event.
+Quote Post
michel richard
post Dec 17 2004, 07:02 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 936

Actually, there was an article in the New York Times recently

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/06/automobi...40e7c5c&ei=5087

accoriding to which GM built a reproduction of parts of the Nurburgring in Milford Mich. a few years ago.

The article is still freely available, I think.

Michel Richard
+Quote Post
bryanthompson
post Dec 17 2004, 08:27 PM
Post #7

Check it out... 3 loops!

Member No.: 1,970

Southeast Nebraska or northwestern Missouri could be a good place for it. I'm only a little biased, of course (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Dec 17 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4
Region Association: None

QUOTE(michel richard @ Dec 17 2004, 05:02 PM)
accoriding to which GM built a reproduction of parts of the Nurburgring in Milford Mich. a few years ago.

cool! milford, MI is my hometown. yes, we are famous for the GM proving grounds. I lived my whole life about 1 mile from there. it is a HUGE compound.
+Quote Post
winnkhan
post Dec 17 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,633

I'd have to throw in a 3 or 4 corners area like the okla,colorado, new mexico area that would give you your flats-ok, your twists-col,and your weather- NM.that would be sweet, up into the foothills of the rockies down into the plains . how much do you think 20 30 mill?think if we started saving right now we could do it? maybe we should sell cookies or somthing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 03:43 AM