Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Concerns of mine, Uhhh...give it a look
Doug Leggins
post Dec 17 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #21

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 261
Region Association: None

I am saying 5000 or below...

You should be able to find a good car in that range. Look in all of the usual places - This site, pelicanparts.com, Autorv.com, Traderonline.com, US.trader.com, Hemmings.com, Rennlist.com, .... There are lots of 914s to choose from, take your time and find the right car. Over the past 5 years I have looked at many cars in Indiana and the surrounding states. Most of them have substantial rust issues, but there are a few nice ones in the area also.

You can also open up your search area. The shipping cost of getting a low rust car from from another state even as far away as CA is less costly than repairing a substantial rust area on a 914. You are likely to be able to find a 914club member nearby any 914 for sale and have a knowledgeable person give the car an inspection for you. It is very possible to find a good 914 for $3500 - $4000 and then pay about $1000 to ship it.

Look around at any cars that you can and get personally familiar with the rust issues. Soon you will become informed enough to know what to look for and what questions to ask.

I know of a 75 1.8 in Ellettsville. It is a project car. The guy is asking $1200 and I think that the car is worth it. But this one is a project that needs quite a bit of work. There is also a 73 1.7 in Columbus that is in great shape. But, I think that the guy wants $7000 - $8000 for it.

I don't think that I would want to own a 914 in this area as a year round daily driver. But as a pleasure car they are a blast!

The 914 has some great things going for it. The support for the cars is amazing and most parts are readily available.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Dec 17 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #22

King of Road Trips

Group: Members
Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Here is the number...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
seanery
post Dec 17 2004, 09:05 PM
Post #23

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

I think that car is for sale.
My sister's boyfriend aske me about it the other day.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Dec 17 2004, 09:10 PM
Post #24

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

If I remember it has a new clutch and the guy said it ran very well.

As to the drivability of a 914, it's just like any old car. It can break just like any car.
+Quote Post
RangerRhett
post Dec 17 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 2,620

QUOTE(seanery @ Dec 17 2004, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE(itsa914 @ Dec 17 2004, 07:55 PM)
I would recommend you call Brad Mayeur. He is a great source for finding any condition 914 your are looking for. Brad is over in East Peoria, I think you met him there at the FFC. Call Brad at 309-694-1797

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I talked to Brad at the FFC and I went to his house when I was home over the Thanksgiving holiday (he works out of his garage). He told me that he is not really in that game of selling cars....

He said he maybe sells 3-4 per year....maybe....

when I was at his home he had several he was working on and whatnot...only one for sale for 15,000...it looked like a peach of a car though...I am not going to be willing to pay that....

I maybe even saw some of your cars there....!~!!!!!!~~! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

The winter coming in doesn't help the desire to go air cooled sports car shopping!
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Dec 17 2004, 09:14 PM
Post #26

|||

Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My $.02 from someone that was in your position not so long ago...

Buy THE BEST CAR YOU CAN AFFORD!

After looking at a lot of cars in basically two conditions (crunchy/projects and nice drivers/restored cars) I came to the conclusion that I would rather have a 914 that I could drive when I wanted, that wasn't always up on jackstands. I bought my car from a local guy that had had it since '86, drove it daily til '92 and then restored the car (new paint and real good body work, fresh interior, top end of the motor and all little things like fuel lines, etc replaced) and drove it very little after that.

My car looks nice, drives nice and is original with D-jet fuel injection and 2.0 motor.

I have had to work out a couple of electrical bugs here and there, but nothing major. I keep it up and love to replace and work on anything that needs it. I have put about 3K miles on the car and it starts up and runs fantastically every time.

Again, just my $.02. If you want a nice driver, spend the $. If you want a car on jackstands, find a project. I see it a lot around here. Cheap car, I'll take it...and the problems.

I LOVE to drive my 914! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Dec 17 2004, 09:27 PM
Post #27

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I bought a car with 42k miles on it, and drove it up to 178k without more than standard service, and that includes replacing scheduled stuff. That car is out there with near 200k on it, and still does a decent leak down.

I have also owned cars that burned to the ground in 2k miles (lines) and I my most recent 2 rebuilds ate themselves in under 5k each.

As a second car, who cares!?

I am not scared to drive my car 500 miles one way, but I have been there 100 times.. so.

Are you Experienced? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

M
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Dec 17 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #28

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

I maybe even saw some of your cars there....!~!!!!!!~~!  

Did one look like this one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
RangerRhett
post Dec 18 2004, 07:13 AM
Post #29

Was that a 70-71 or something like that?

I think I saw it.... Brad even wanted to show me the fact that the passenger seat didn't move on the earlier models...so yes I saw it...
+Quote Post
seanery
post Dec 18 2004, 07:14 AM
Post #30

itsa 70, check out his autocross #s (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Dec 18 2004, 07:20 AM
Post #31

i forgot, as far as driving the car long distance, Andy drove my car from San Francisco to Hot Springs, Arkansas where I picked it up and drove it to Indy. The only concern was a dirty carb jet, that had to be cleaned a couple times on the way, other than that it was smoooth sailing (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
RangerRhett
post Dec 18 2004, 07:28 AM
Post #32

And my concern is that I wouldn't know that....

See what I am saying!
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Dec 18 2004, 07:51 AM
Post #33

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

AAA, a good cell phone plan, flares, jack, lug wrench and spare. Coveralls!! Then, clutch cable, throttle cable, plus, valve cover gaskets, oil,oil, oil oil, and oil, assorted nuts, bolts and fasteners, fuses, relays, wire, electrical connectors, electical tape, Super Glue, JB Weld, RTV, 100 mile an hour tape (duct tape), Haynes Manual, flashight, metric sockets, spark plug socket, 3/8 drive socket, extension, metric box and open wrenches, Cresent wrench, needle nose pliers, Vice Grips, electrical pliers, metric allen wrenches, feeler gauges, Swiss Army knife, screw driver with changeable nibs, tweezers, old dental instruments, very small flat and phillips screw drivers, and rags, rags, rags and rags.

Then a blanket and survival kit (I don't actually carry this but it's not a bad idea). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I'm sure I left something out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Dave
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 18 2004, 08:50 AM
Post #34

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

QUOTE(RangerRhett @ Dec 17 2004, 05:01 PM)
I don't mind working on a car....I have no experience doinf body work and I wouldn't trust myself to do it in the first place...

I am saying 5000 or below...

hopefully a 2.0 L ...

Generally speaking, the less you spend on a 914 on the front end, the more you'll spend on it in the long run. Get the best 914 you can afford, and DO NOT BUY A RUSTY CAR THAT NEEDS "A LITTLE WORK"!!!!

I'd increase my budget to $7500 at least. If you are worried about getting stranded, consider a car with a midly warmed over engine with dual Webers. Don't get in a hurry to get a car, but have cash in hand and be ready to jump, if the perfect one should fall your way. Look at as many cars as you can, and don't be afraid to walk away from one that doesn't make the cut, but seems like a good deal.

The 914 injection system is a very good set up, and all the guys with these old cars and all the miles is a true testament to how good it really is, but the odds of getting stranded are less with carbs than injection.

These are after all, old cars, and old cars in general have the potential to break down at the worst possible moment. I've only had a carb'd 914 leave me stranded once, and that was one of those Ignitors went bad. Really and truly, I wasn't stranded because I pulled the Ignitor, put the points and condensor back on, and drove it home. The fact that it was 1:30am in the parking lot of a nightclub after a four hour gig wasn't a big plus, but I did fix it myself and drive home that night.

If you are commited to getting a 914, then as Dave Hunt says, you need to have enough simple tools and knowledge to be able to make simple repairs, which for a bunch of wackos like us, is considered fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

The other thing you'll be gaining is a awesome support group in the form of this website and the "brotherhood" of 914 owners all over. You'll find (if you haven't already) that 914 owners are the best people and willing to help in ways too numerous to mention. There are tons of stories how these great little cars have brought people together in so many ways (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

PK
+Quote Post
RangerRhett
post Dec 18 2004, 09:37 AM
Post #35

It definately seems like Porsche people are the best people (in the car world)

I love working on cars, and if this won't be my daily driver, I won't have the added pressure of not getting to work the next day.

Is there a quick and dirty way to check the compression ratios on a 914 that I am looking at? I think that would be indicative way of seeing some funky engine metrics....

No one has told me that I should/shouldn't do that...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 08:58 AM