Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New 'Hobby' Project, carb tuning gone high tech
McMark
post Oct 15 2013, 10:39 PM
Post #1

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

EDIT: I know about tube-and-water setups. You can't drive with those. I'm building some different.

I've been pondering this project for awhile, and now I'm finally getting ready to start. Every time I synch carbs I think about how terrible and approximate the process is. What I'm going to try is using a small, programmable computer called an Arduino. There are add-ons called Shields to expand the functionality, and I'm using a LCD screen shield. I'm going to hook up 4 to 6 MAP sensors to the Arduino and output their readings on the screen. Using this tool, I'll be able to numerically evaluate the relative balance of the carb throats.

One possible shortcoming is that the intake pulses may create fluctuating values that are difficult to interpret. Although, I have some ideas that may deal with this. Some sort of averaging could help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Here's what the Arduino looks like (this is the Uno version)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.adafruit.com-419-1381898348.1.jpg)

Here's the screen shield
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.adafruit.com-419-1381898349.2.jpg)

Here's the MAP sensors I'm going to start with.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/thumbs4.ebaystatic.com-419-1381898350.3.jpg)

I'm also probably going to have to make some plates that will go between the carb and manifold with a vacuum port on it. This would be the easiest way to access manifold vacuum since I can't count on carbs to have vacuum ports. Oh, and this will also be useable while driving to evaluate dynamic synch.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stugray
post Oct 15 2013, 10:44 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,819

If you are interested in Arduino, checkout sparkfun

I drive by their warehouse every morning. Let me know if you need any code help.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 15 2013, 10:56 PM
Post #3

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Attached Image

So, is this like a CAT scan for carbs? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 15 2013, 11:26 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 16 2013, 12:13 AM
Post #5

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Sound is how I used to tune my triple Holley's on my big block. I wonder if you can add a mic function with a oscilloscope type output to the screen as a veri-able. Ya, I have no clue what I'm purposing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Oct 16 2013, 06:24 AM
Post #6

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 16 2013, 01:13 AM) *

Sound is how I used to tune my triple Holley's on my big block. I wonder if you can add a mic function with a oscilloscope type output to the screen as a veri-able. Ya, I have no clue what I'm purposing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

This will be interesting to see if you can get all 4 or 6 outputs on the same screen. Or are you going to use a numerical index if the screen won't print nice lines?

The Arduino microcontroller works at 16MHz. I don't remember the video resolution on that shield's screen. If that shield can't keep up with all 4 or 6 simultaneously ...

If you used the Arduino and output the screen info to a Raspberry Pi (faster and HDMI video output) or BeagleBone (faster yet). Both are Linux single-boards. The RPi has the best video resolution by far.

Or you could remote into either of the Linux boards with JuiceSSH (or something like it) and get the output on your laptop/notebook. I've only used the Arduino for stepper/servo/motor control and basic inputs like temperature, vibration, joysticks etc, and never played with a screen output directly from the Arduino.

Very cool project on a really fun platform! Let us know.

Good Luck

The Arduino
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 16 2013, 07:50 AM
Post #7

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 16 2013, 12:39 AM) *

I'm also probably going to have to make some plates that will go between the carb and manifold with a vacuum port on it. This would be the easiest way to access manifold vacuum since I can't count on carbs to have vacuum ports. Oh, and this will also be useable while driving to evaluate dynamic synch.

Small feeds or offices much like you do when using a single map and ITBs. It will be interesting. What ever happened to large water draw vacuum tubes. to measure balance?

Attached Image

The small tubes in this example means its extremely sensitive. Larger Tubes would cut down on the sensitivity. Also larger decrease accuracy a little. I had one of these once, worked great.

Don't get me wrong cool project, I just would rather spend my time and $$ doing other items that benefited my time and $$$. If its is just for your enjoyment then carry on.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Oct 16 2013, 07:51 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

Sounds like a good idea, Surprised nothing like that already exists, carbs have been around awhile, and the better synced the better they run.
Putting a plate between the carb and manifold seems like it would work to get a vacuum port....but when cars come in to be tuned, you would have to put a plate under each carb first, seems like something that could clamp/attach to the top with a vacuum port would be more universal and easier to use on all cars, just a thought....what do I know....I hate carbs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Jeff
+Quote Post
Matt Romanowski
post Oct 16 2013, 09:12 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,507

Why do you feel the regular methods are not accurate enough?
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Oct 16 2013, 11:01 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

I say go for it !!! You seem to be always looking to come up with something usefull and incorparating some of the latest technology , heck if this stuff was around when the idea of measured data started to be used ,THEY would have used it . Nothing ventured , nothing gained . Perhaps some kind of vacum resiviour for the MAP sensors to eliviate the pulses , or a vacum check valve . Experiment away to your heart's desire (or wallet ) !!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Jack
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 16 2013, 11:23 AM
Post #11

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 15 2013, 09:39 PM) *
Some sort of averaging could help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

If you need some help with that let me know, we do that sort of thing on a daily basis.

Besides just averaging out your samples you also want to throw away your high and low spikes.

Just don't trow away your good data if you are oscillating between high and low.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 16 2013, 12:14 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

QUOTE(pcar916 @ Oct 16 2013, 06:50 AM) *
This will be interesting to see if you can get all 4 or 6 outputs on the same screen. Or are you going to use a numerical index if the screen won't print nice lines?

The Arduino microcontroller works at 16MHz. I don't remember the video resolution on that shield's screen. If that shield can't keep up with all 4 or 6 simultaneously ...
I'll have to deal with this as it comes up. Not worth speculating. There also may be some old school efficiency tricks out there as well. Once upon a time coders had to be really creative writing their code to optimize for the platform restrictions.

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 16 2013, 06:50 AM) *
What ever happened to large water draw vacuum tubes. to measure balance?

Don't get me wrong cool project, I just would rather spend my time and $$ doing other items that benefited my time and $$$. If its is just for your enjoyment then carry on.
I have one of those I've never used because it's so impractical. I'm sure it would work just fine, but I'm hoping for something that can be used while driving as well.

QUOTE(jsconst @ Oct 16 2013, 06:51 AM) *
Putting a plate between the carb and manifold seems like it would work to get a vacuum port....but when cars come in to be tuned, you would have to put a plate under each carb first,
That's the idea. I very often weld in O2 sensor bungs on cars that come in. Installing plates permanently underneath the carbs would be my approach. I could even make them out of some phenolic material to help with heat transfer.

QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Oct 16 2013, 08:12 AM) *
Why do you feel the regular methods are not accurate enough?
I guess to be clear, they are accurate enough but again, this info can't be assessed while driving.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 16 2013, 10:23 AM) *
If you need some help with that let me know, we do that sort of thing on a daily basis.
Will do. I'm planning on keeping this thread up to date including code. I know we have a lot of coders here and I'm looking at this as a bit of an open source project. Hopefully with more eyes the code can evolve in efficiency and accuracy.
+Quote Post
OU8AVW
post Oct 16 2013, 02:08 PM
Post #13

Yacht Rigger

Member No.: 9,601
Region Association: Southwest Region

Your set up is real nice, but I'm way ahead of you....

ADMIN EDIT: Yer boobs belong to the Sandbox!
+Quote Post
Harpo
post Oct 16 2013, 03:19 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 13,469

Nice and I'm not even in the sand box!
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Oct 16 2013, 07:40 PM
Post #15

Salsaholic

Member No.: 2,431

This looks like fun. Couple of comments. I think that a flow meter would work much better rather than a MAP sensor. I did a quick search and could not find the ones i have encountered before. So, I looked at MAFs, which were way too expensive.

Hum. Well, all a MAF is, is a wire heated to temperature and as air flows over it, the temperature of the wire fluctuates and hence its resistance. So, if you used the Arduino ADCs to measure a voltage across the wire, you could sense the air flow. So, it is possible to build your own MAF. Just a thought.

As far as averaging, you have to determine the type of signal you are trying to measure. Signals will have a low frequncy content (Usually what you are trying to measure) and a high frequency content (noise in this case.) Well, if you use standard averaging, you will get a flat line response and loose all of the low frequency content, such as air flow fluctuation. However, using box car averaging you will get some noise rejection, and still retain the low frequency content.

Have you thought about how to display to data to make it easy to adjust? This is me is similar to leveling signals, so, I have used a contour plot to display the data and put a "leveling bubble" on it to represent the center of all four corners, and then you adjust to "bubble" to center. Again, just a thought.

BUt, it sure looks like fun!

-- brett
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 16 2013, 10:04 PM
Post #16

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(bfrymire @ Oct 16 2013, 06:40 PM) *

This looks like fun. Couple of comments. I think that a flow meter would work much better rather than a MAP sensor. I did a quick search and could not find the ones i have encountered before. So, I looked at MAFs, which were way too expensive.

Hum. Well, all a MAF is, is a wire heated to temperature and as air flows over it, the temperature of the wire fluctuates and hence its resistance. So, if you used the Arduino ADCs to measure a voltage across the wire, you could sense the air flow. So, it is possible to build your own MAF. Just a thought.

As far as averaging, you have to determine the type of signal you are trying to measure. Signals will have a low frequncy content (Usually what you are trying to measure) and a high frequency content (noise in this case.) Well, if you use standard averaging, you will get a flat line response and loose all of the low frequency content, such as air flow fluctuation. However, using box car averaging you will get some noise rejection, and still retain the low frequency content.

Have you thought about how to display to data to make it easy to adjust? This is me is similar to leveling signals, so, I have used a contour plot to display the data and put a "leveling bubble" on it to represent the center of all four corners, and then you adjust to "bubble" to center. Again, just a thought.

BUt, it sure looks like fun!

-- brett

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
with the MAF's. This way you could see flow at high rpm too. A MAP will loose signal off idle unless it is a pressurized system. VW/Bosch (type) MAF's are pretty cheap and are voltage based. GM MAF's are frequency based if you want to go that route.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Oct 16 2013, 11:52 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

You dont need to overthink this one.

Since these are not being used to measure an absolute value for flow (like used in FI), but a relative flow between cylinders.

As long as the sensors are all mounted the same and calibrated simultaneously for the no-flow case (atmospheric pressure for baseline), they should work well for showing balance between cylinders with fairly simple averaging.

If you need fancy, then a "simple" Kalman Filter would be fun
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 17 2013, 01:59 PM
Post #18

914 Freak!

A MAP will loose signal off idle unless it is a pressurized system.
They don't lose signal. They only drop to "zero" at WOT. But even then if there were a difference you would see different values close to "zero".

+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 16 2013, 11:28 PM
Post #19

914 Freak!

Started working on this project this weekend. Got the board soldered, ran the test code to make sure it worked, then started working out the layout. Runs pretty fast and seems like it'll work well.

This is just with random values.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pBbAG4x0P0

Now I need to start working on averaging. Feel free to post detailed averaging formula/code/links.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Nov 17 2013, 07:53 AM
Post #20

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Another alternative -purchase a used flow bench (small for motorcyle heads), or buy this flowquick from Audietech.com and build a bench with a vacuum motor. You would probably have to remove each carb to test on the bench though.

Nice!-
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2388-1381931360.jpg)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 09:58 PM