Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for recommendations for decent torque wrench., dont want to pay snap on prices
ThePaintedMan
post Oct 17 2013, 06:41 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 17 2013, 07:20 PM) *

I had a Craftsman that cracked around the ratchet - they would not take it back

Sears & Craftsman are not what they used to be!

Yeah that was weird T.C. Though for sure something would fail internally before the casting would.

I just used a Snap-on digital wrench at Sebring. It buzzes when you hit the torque setting. Way cool. Like SLITS I still trust my own instinct more though for most stuff.

I've learned that whatever model wrench you have, caring for it goes a long way. Keeping sand out of them and an occasional shot of WD-40 helps keep them more accurate, longer.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Oct 17 2013, 07:39 PM
Post #22

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have a snap-on 3/8's drive wrench up to 100lbs, and a 1/2 drive 250lbs Huskey that i purchased at the Home Depot that was relatively inexpensive that i use all the time, works great on those axle nuts.....
+Quote Post
old dog
post Oct 17 2013, 09:13 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 15,257
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 17 2013, 11:01 AM) *

Does anyone get their torque wrenches calibrated on a regular basis or are they tossed in a drawer and forgotten about till next time? Mine has never been calibrated.

Hi Elliot,
I check mine against others in the shop and get them calibrated every 4 to 5 years. The ones used for engines are dedicated and checked before any "build ". The clicker types can occasionally "hang" and not click. An elbow calibrated by 40 years of engine building can come in handy. I have used craftsman, Mac and Snap-On and have never seen any difference between them. Recalibration comes at any reading that is off by 1 ft/lb. on the engine dedicated wrenches. I'm not as picky with the one used for lug nuts.

Check it against one belonging to someone else that is in the same range.

Bill
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 06:55 AM