Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Area51Werks starts another Autotopsy Resurrection of a Factory 6, Welding is Done! Fixtures are removed Onto the cleanup and paint work.
rick 918-S
post Oct 24 2013, 12:48 AM
Post #1

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I wanted to start another build thread for the 914-6 I purchased from Ethan. When we were able to put together a deal I could hardly wait to come out and collect it.

Last year our Titan was totaled. So Sandy and took our little truck with trailer and headed out. We drove straight through to Vegas. We met up with John Peterson and stayed in the 914 room. Sandy was calling it our room. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

Half way to Vegas the brakes started grinding. There was no way we were going to make So Cal and all the hills with dead brakes. So while Sandy was at her meeting in Vegas JP and I rebuilt the front brakes on the mighty Ranger. Thanks again for all your help and hospitality John!

Our first stop on the way to pick up the 6 was at Ron's shop. Ron set me up with a 2.7S and goodies. Thanks to his generosity I have most everything to put the car back in running condition when the chassis work in done. And congratulations to Grandpa Ron and the new baby girl they just welcomed into the world.

When we arrived at Ethan's we were pleasantly surprised by the weather. Beautiful Sunny California makes it hard to leave and come back to the cold and snow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Yes, we were greeted by a nice light dusting of snow when we arrived home. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Anyway, it was great to spend the day with friends, eat brisket and tell stories.

Kent, Rod and Wayne came to help with the fun.

I received a project from Rod while I was there. More on that in another thread.

Rod was a wealth of knowledge about the history of this car. I really need to spend some time on the phone with him now that I am back and talk more about the cars origin and past.

Kent lead the way and got us back on the road heading out of So Cal to points east. It was a great day in the 914World. Thanks all!

Now on to the car. I have it home now. My son Aric and I spent some time doing forensics on the chassis. We dropped the suspension and started removing some of the bolt on stuff that will have to be cleared in order to repair the chassis.

I plan a full on documented chassis rebuild showing the process involved in determining how and where to pull, what to remove and the importance of proper technic when splitting panels welding things back together. To some this may be basic but I get a lot of questions about chassis repairs and felt it would be a good place to start a discussion.

For now, here's the car:

Attached Image

My favorite place to stop for a photo of my 914's. I have taken a photo here with every 914 I have.

Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
13 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(140 - 159)
Root_Werks
post Nov 1 2023, 08:43 AM
Post #141

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

That's a pile of 914 sheet metal now! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Very cool watching you save as much original metal as possible.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Nov 1 2023, 09:13 AM
Post #142

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

Awesome work Rick...there shall be NO bondo on your watch ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
You should keep a log on the R gruppe history of this 914; there were 1 or 2 allowed into that "Club", and I've seen one car there in person at the Rennsport 6 corral.
Years ago Chris Huergas invited me to meet up at the Rose Bowl parking lot to hang out with his followers; he took a liking to my black flat-fan biturbo six. He did mention that the 914 would not be extended an invite into their club. I never met up there (already had other calendar plans). A few years on from there...I brought the 914 to Chino CA. "Freinds of Steve McQueen" car show. One of the judges that I met on that day was Freeman Thomas, co-founder of the R-Gruppe. He and his team did inspect and judge my car; I left that Sunday with the "McQueen Cool Style" trophy...guess they had a soft spot for the 914 !
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/marty914.jpg)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Nov 1 2023, 09:44 AM
Post #143

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 1 2023, 08:13 AM) *

Awesome work Rick...there shall be NO bondo on your watch ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
You should keep a log on the R gruppe history of this 914; there were 1 or 2 allowed into that "Club", and I've seen one car there in person at the Rennsport 6 corral.
Years ago Chris Huergas invited me to meet up at the Rose Bowl parking lot to hang out with his followers; he took a liking to my black flat-fan biturbo six. He did mention that the 914 would not be extended an invite into their club. I never met up there (already had other calendar plans). A few years on from there...I brought the 914 to Chino CA. "Freinds of Steve McQueen" car show. One of the judges that I met on that day was Freeman Thomas, co-founder of the R-Gruppe. He and his team did inspect and judge my car; I left that Sunday with the "McQueen Cool Style" trophy...guess they had a soft spot for the 914 !
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/marty914.jpg)

One of our 914 World members, Bob @rmarx , was invited to join the R Gruppe with his 914 v8 conversion (327 SBC). Not sure if that's one of the 914s you're mentioning but for sure there are some in the club.
Sorry for the hijack...back to saving the 6!
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Nov 1 2023, 09:49 AM
Post #144

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

@tygaboy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Hi Chris...came by 000 at Renn7 but missed you + Pete (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Marty
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Nov 1 2023, 10:02 AM
Post #145

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Really great work. Makes my hands hurt just looking at it. But what I am really enjoying the most is all the wonderful toys. My workshop (backyard) to move metal it would be an anchored floor jack and a sledgehammer. I will endeavor to be more like you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 2 2023, 09:57 PM
Post #146

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Just more boring trim work.

Attached Image

Front panel and headlight bucket braces on both sides are trimmed.

Attached Image

Right side Strut tower brace is trimmed. Wheel house strut tower top is removed,

Attached Image

The donor is getting leaner and the scrap pile is getting bigger.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
majkos1
post Nov 3 2023, 11:06 AM
Post #147

Member No.: 21,338
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Great work Rick,

love how you make your own tools ,
helps to know we can make em not spend $$$
(if any were to be found.)

Guys and Gals, I was bless with Rick coming through town, on his way to Red Rock,
he helped finalize Car-B-Q with design and help Beauty's receiver hitch .

Rick's Red Rock adventure that year is another story.

(wish I have that photo of Henna watching Rick leave his mark on a sign.)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 3 2023, 12:38 PM
Post #148

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(majkos1 @ Nov 3 2023, 12:06 PM) *

Great work Rick,

Guys and Gals, I was bless with Rick coming through town, on his way to Red Rock,

Hey Kevin! I may have to dig up a photo or two. I think I may have that old girl saved someplace. Rest her soul. She was a great companion.
+Quote Post
majkos1
post Nov 3 2023, 09:12 PM
Post #149

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 3 2023, 12:38 PM) *

Great work Rick,

Hey Kevin! I may have to dig up a photo or two. I think I may have that old girl saved someplace. Rest her soul. She was a great companion.

That would be so cool to see,

Classic Alien is here, animals can see em.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 4 2023, 07:39 AM
Post #150

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(majkos1 @ Nov 3 2023, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 3 2023, 12:38 PM) *

Great work Rick,

That would be so cool to see,

Classic Alien is here, animals can see em.

Just a little Off Topic for Kevin.. Henna Looking at us like 'What are you hoodlums up to" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Had to stand on the Car-b-q to Reach the Sign

Attached Image

BTW This was 2010 Wow!
+Quote Post
majkos1
post Nov 4 2023, 08:20 AM
Post #151

Thank you Sir

Classic

True 914'ners moment

And, Yes, Alien exist!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 4 2023, 10:12 PM
Post #152

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Back to our regularly shceduled deconstruction. This section is extremely diffecult to split. Still have the other side to go and then some trimming at the spot welds along the gas tank bulkhead. Anyone have any idea how much time it takes to slpit all these panels apart?

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
East coaster
post Nov 5 2023, 05:20 AM
Post #153

Member No.: 487

What are you using to remove spot welds? I’ve yet to find anything that doesn’t challenge my patience.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 5 2023, 06:24 AM
Post #154

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(East coaster @ Nov 5 2023, 05:20 AM) *

What are you using to remove spot welds? I’ve yet to find anything that doesn’t challenge my patience.

I use a multitude of methods. The strut tower tops I used an 1/8 drill bit and they drilled the spot welds. Then used a ball shaped grinder on the underside ( the part that is going to be trashed) this thins the part so the weld will snaps when I work it
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 5 2023, 06:30 AM
Post #155

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(East coaster @ Nov 5 2023, 05:20 AM) *

I use a multitude of methods. The strut tower tops I used an 1/8 drill bit and drilled the spot welds. Then used a ball shaped grinder on the underside ( the part that is going to be trashed) this thins the part so the weld snaps when I work it. I will post more later with better photos.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 6 2023, 07:38 AM
Post #156

Hey nice rack! -Celette

I wanted to expand a little on the process of extrating parts in the most usable state. Deconstructing a spotwelded car is a challange. Let's face it. The car you are working to collect parts from you are really destroying. You really have to to get the part you need in the most unmolested state.

I dont often drill out welds but this section and example where I thought it was the best choice. I moved away from Blair spot Weld Drills as they are hard to center and gauge the depth you are drilling. If you over do it you are thinning the part you are attmpting to repair.

I need the bulkhead panel as the one in Rocky's car was bowed at the top when the strut towers pulled inward. The vertcal panel was kinked and dented from maybe a spare tire?

Anyway there are alot of spotwelds securing the bracing to the wheelhouse. The outer spotwelds are small. I was able to clear most of them with an 1/8 drill bit. When the section is reinstalled I will tig the donor part in place and most likely the welds will appear to be spotwelds again. The inner welds holding the parts together are a bit larger. And the strut tower top on the wheel house side it heavier gauge. I used a step drill to increase the 1/8" holes to clear the spotweld.

The second step I used was to go to the back side and use my ball grinder the thin the metal making the part I am not saving thin and weak. I have a couple screwdrivers I ground into a chisels to split the two parts.

The outer section of spot welds on the brace were still held but easy to split. I also cut around the "Cap" on the wheelhouse side to separate the outer wheelhouse side from the Cap.

The Cap part or strut mount I also used my ball grinder on. Once I felt I have the mount weaked enough. I used my screwdriver chisel from the top opening and struck the cap lip around the opening. There were a few spots hold but after a couple hits the part popped out.

Again I will Tig these holes when reinstalling.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

The brace removal from Rocky's car will be just the ball grinder on the part I am removing. No Holes.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 12 2023, 09:47 PM
Post #157

Hey nice rack! -Celette

More on the way i remove spot welds. This is just what I do. You may have a different method.

I use my ball grinder on the spot welds.

Attached Image

[quote]Then I use my screwdriver to pop them

Attached Image

Attached Image

All Cleaned up

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 12 2023, 09:58 PM
Post #158

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Worked on the left side for while tonight. Let's revisit to extent of the damage.

Attached Image

After the rough pulls I started the bumping.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Starting to take shape but lots of work to go yet.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Freezin 914
post Nov 12 2023, 10:00 PM
Post #159

Member No.: 17,687
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Always love seeing your work, makes me feel like they all can be saved…. Just.not by me….
Your metal working skills are very impressive…. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I personally find lot of the workyou guys and gals do on the world very inspiring!
+Quote Post
TRS63
post Nov 14 2023, 10:33 AM
Post #160

Member No.: 24,690
Region Association: Europe

Thanks for sharing your methods and those really interesting pictures !

Antoine
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 02:18 AM