Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Area51Werks starts another Autotopsy Resurrection of a Factory 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
rick 918-S
I wanted to start another build thread for the 914-6 I purchased from Ethan. When we were able to put together a deal I could hardly wait to come out and collect it.

Last year our Titan was totaled. So Sandy and took our little truck with trailer and headed out. We drove straight through to Vegas. We met up with John Peterson and stayed in the 914 room. Sandy was calling it our room. first.gif

Half way to Vegas the brakes started grinding. There was no way we were going to make So Cal and all the hills with dead brakes. So while Sandy was at her meeting in Vegas JP and I rebuilt the front brakes on the mighty Ranger. Thanks again for all your help and hospitality John!

Our first stop on the way to pick up the 6 was at Ron's shop. Ron set me up with a 2.7S and goodies. Thanks to his generosity I have most everything to put the car back in running condition when the chassis work in done. And congratulations to Grandpa Ron and the new baby girl they just welcomed into the world.

When we arrived at Ethan's we were pleasantly surprised by the weather. Beautiful Sunny California makes it hard to leave and come back to the cold and snow. dry.gif Yes, we were greeted by a nice light dusting of snow when we arrived home. wacko.gif

Anyway, it was great to spend the day with friends, eat brisket and tell stories.

Kent, Rod and Wayne came to help with the fun.

I received a project from Rod while I was there. More on that in another thread.

Rod was a wealth of knowledge about the history of this car. I really need to spend some time on the phone with him now that I am back and talk more about the cars origin and past.

Kent lead the way and got us back on the road heading out of So Cal to points east. It was a great day in the 914World. Thanks all!

Now on to the car. I have it home now. My son Aric and I spent some time doing forensics on the chassis. We dropped the suspension and started removing some of the bolt on stuff that will have to be cleared in order to repair the chassis.

I plan a full on documented chassis rebuild showing the process involved in determining how and where to pull, what to remove and the importance of proper technic when splitting panels welding things back together. To some this may be basic but I get a lot of questions about chassis repairs and felt it would be a good place to start a discussion.

For now, here's the car:

Click to view attachment

My favorite place to stop for a photo of my 914's. I have taken a photo here with every 914 I have.

Click to view attachment
ThinAir
Really looking forward to following this one!
euro911
Glad to see it went to a good home, where it can get the required surgery and a good recovery prognosis biggrin.gif

Subscribed shades.gif
rhodyguy
you're still the master of fast long distance retrievals rick. first.gif this will make for an excellent 'how to fix it' thread.

k
SLITS
Glad all went well. You're the Master of the Long Distance Drives.

iamchappy
I may have to come up for a visit to see a real alien autotopsy at area 51.
Chris H.
cheer.gif popcorn[1].gif
Luke M
I'll be watching ...

popcorn[1].gif beerchug.gif
DBCooper

Whoa, 666! SoCal, for sure! happy11.gif

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 23 2013, 11:48 PM) *

rick 918-S
Here's a few photos from our initial probing.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
scotty b
first.gif I wish i could take the time off to come up and help with the chassis pulling. I'd like to learn more about that end of this work
McMark
Gonna rent fixtures for this one? Looks like fun. I'd come out and help, but I'm allergic to snow. laugh.gif
rick 918-S
Mark & Scotty,
Yes. I will rent fixtures for this one. I am going to do a full on instructional video. My goal is to start with the basics of chassis construction and logic in repairs with an emphasis on safety of repairs. This car is an excellent test case for this as it is damaged back past the suspension. An improper repair would render this chassis non usable.

There was a 6 for sale awhile back in the classified that suffered from collision damage and improper repairs and as a result would not corner balance. You say, no big deal I'm not racing but it effects the track in suspension loading and steering Ackermann. Wrong weather conditions and spirited driving and your in the guard rail.

Also, there is an issue with metal fatigue and pre-stressed metal or metal left damaged causing a weakened condition.

Anyway I will address these all during this repair.

I have a few things still on my plate. I really doubt I will start the chassis work until late January or February. I need to clear the Mercedes off the Celette, I'm helping another member here on World with chassis repairs on his 6. and I may get a 911 Targa for a repaint... confused24.gif

sixnotfour
Bigger hit than I thought...still easy fix for you...looks like had a pretty good rate of speed going at impact.. I have seen a safety brake
dampener in a long time..
oldschool
Man! I missed you ( barf.gif ) I was out..I'll send you a G&R shirt bye1.gif your the man.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 24 2013, 10:52 AM) *

Bigger hit than I thought...still easy fix for you...looks like had a pretty good rate of speed going at impact.. I have seen a safety brake
dampener in a long time..

Ya, broke the master cylinder mounting ears off. The damage stops at the vertical foot well. I already have a nice new trunk pan and nose panel. I'll replace the entire nose, trunk pan all the way under the gas tank. The part was a gift from my good friend with the wicked turbo twin plug six from the metro. beerchug.gif Thanks buddy! biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(oldschool @ Oct 24 2013, 11:19 AM) *

Man! I missed you ( barf.gif ) I was out..I'll send you a G&R shirt bye1.gif your the man.

Sorry to hear you were down for the count. See ya next time. bye1.gif
sixnotfour
Who is Rod, that knows all about the -6 ???
R Gruppe guys didn't know it got crashed ?? well the ones on FB.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 24 2013, 01:28 PM) *

Rod took care of the car and did a lot of the work for the P.O.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 24 2013, 11:32 AM) *

How did it happen ? Is Rocky OK ??
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 24 2013, 07:25 AM) *

Gonna rent fixtures for this one? Looks like fun. I'd come out and help, but I'm allergic to snow. laugh.gif

It's ok Mark. Duluth is the 'Banana Belt' of the Midwest. They don't actually get any snow to speak of... A lot of people from the Twin Cities go North for a budget vacation in January. av-943.gif lol-2.gif bye1.gif
'73-914kid
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 24 2013, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 24 2013, 11:32 AM) *

How did it happen ? Is Rocky OK ??

Took a turn too fast and I think the car just understeered into the light pole.

Rocky was just fine, albeit a tad shaken up.
Kansas 914
I have subscribed to this thread - it will be one to watch for sure.

Besides I have a dotted line link to this car........................

Good luck Rick - this is going to be very informative.
MartyYeoman
Saw this in another thread.
Thought it fit here. welder.gif
CptTripps
:woot:
914coop
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Oct 24 2013, 05:34 AM) *

I may have to come up for a visit to see a real alien autotopsy at area 51.

agree.gif
Be cool to see this in person.
Cairo94507
It is going to be very cool to see this car as it is returned to pre-crash condition or better. pray.gif
Maltese Falcon
Rick you are the guy for this rebuild, and the rare lineage on this 914 to the Rgruppe is awesome.
Freeman Thomas , pres. of the Rgruppe does not hand these invitations out too often, and at that only to the early 911 crowd.
More info on this cars history when you get a chance.
Marty
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Oct 24 2013, 01:38 PM) *

Saw this in another thread.
Thought it fit here. welder.gif

Merely a flesh wound.
r_towle
done yet?
rick 918-S
I'm collecting parts and trimming the donor panels in preparation of the big day. I have every intension of having scotty b here during the big pull on the Celette. We have been chatting about this for some time. He seems to think I can teach him something.

Mark your welcome to come out too. I have a big house with extra beds. Spend a long weekend. It will be a great time.

The truth is I need Scotty's metal finishing skills. I absolutely have to save both inner wheelhouses without the use of body filler. Between the two of us I'm confident it will be done. This is key to the success of this repair.

It will be a waste of time to have him come if I'm not ready to fit parts. Lots of trimming to do to clean up all the attachment flanges on the parts shown here but I have a nose panel trunk floor and bulkhead. After I'm done trimming the panel I will bring it to the blaster and have it stripped clean of all the orange paint.

This clip will look a lot different after it's trimmed.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
scotty b
You give me too much credit sensei pray.gif
KELTY360
The A Team.

popcorn[1].gif
CptTripps
Damn. That's some "next level" stuff right there.
jimkelly
due to my level of expertise, here is the only guidance I can offer. popcorn[1].gif

ThePaintedMan
As one of the few people here who actually likes to do bodywork/metalwork, I'm definitely tuning in to this! I doubt I'll ever have the facilities to be able to do proper frame pulling, but I do want to learn the fundamentals of unibody repair. Furthermore, having Rick, Scotty and potentially Mark all in the same place is enough reason for everyone to be following this thread.

Can't wait to see the progress! aktion035.gif popcorn[1].gif
Cairo94507
This is going to be an incredible re-build to return this car to the street. This car could not be in better hands.
mepstein
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Nov 9 2013, 09:13 AM) *

due to my level of expertise, here is the only guidance I can offer. popcorn[1].gif

unsure.gif

Is that how it works? I better check some things before my next drive.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Nov 9 2013, 09:50 AM) *

As one of the few people here who actually likes to do bodywork/metalwork, I'm definitely tuning in to this! I doubt I'll ever have the facilities to be able to do proper frame pulling, but I do want to learn the fundamentals of unibody repair. Furthermore, having Rick, Scotty and potentially Mark all in the same place is enough reason for everyone to be following this thread.

Can't wait to see the progress! aktion035.gif popcorn[1].gif

Well said and I agree totally. Rick, Scotty and Mark have been inspirations for my continual learning of body work/metal work... and the 914 specifically...

--- Rob
McMark
Mark your welcome to come out too. I have a big house with extra beds. Spend a long weekend. It will be a great time.

Keep me posted. boldblue.gif Thought about driving out, but then remembered that severe snow allergy I have. laugh.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 8 2013, 10:52 PM) *

I'm collecting parts and trimming the donor panels in preparation of the big day. I have every intension of having scotty b here during the big pull on the Celette. We have been chatting about this for some time. He seems to think I can teach him something.

idea.gif I wonder if there's room for the film crew?
scotty b
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 9 2013, 07:46 AM) *

Keep me posted. boldblue.gif Thought about driving out, but then remembered that severe snow allergy I have. laugh.gif

We need to make this happen smile.gif
NORD

Mark I'm sure they have a pill for that.
jimkelly
so how many real six-es do we think are out there?

and I am sure everyone has seen the SILVER one in the classifieds priced at $87k wub.gif
JRust
This thread might just set a record for follows! I can't wait to see this come back to life popcorn[1].gif
914-300Hemi
popcorn[1].gif
EdwardBlume
You rock Rick! Can't wait to see it done. Let me know if you need a hand. type.gif
rick 918-S
Ok, I finally have the Mercedes off the Celette. I have limited space and with all the snow I can't move the Celette to the other garage. So I spent all day yesterday removing the Mercedes and mounting the 6 on the pinch weld clamps.

I have other cars ahead of mine so I won't rent the fixtures to start the repairs until around the end of March but at least the car is sitting on the bench.

Click to view attachment
oldschool
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Nov 9 2013, 08:21 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 8 2013, 10:52 PM) *

idea.gif I wonder if there's room for the film crew?

Did some one Call laugh.gif Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.