914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
majkos1
Thank you Sir

Classic

True 914'ners moment

And, Yes, Alien exist!
rick 918-S
Back to our regularly shceduled deconstruction. This section is extremely diffecult to split. Still have the other side to go and then some trimming at the spot welds along the gas tank bulkhead. Anyone have any idea how much time it takes to slpit all these panels apart?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
East coaster
What are you using to remove spot welds? I’ve yet to find anything that doesn’t challenge my patience.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(East coaster @ Nov 5 2023, 05:20 AM) *

What are you using to remove spot welds? I’ve yet to find anything that doesn’t challenge my patience.

I use a multitude of methods. The strut tower tops I used an 1/8 drill bit and they drilled the spot welds. Then used a ball shaped grinder on the underside ( the part that is going to be trashed) this thins the part so the weld will snaps when I work it
rick 918-S
QUOTE(East coaster @ Nov 5 2023, 05:20 AM) *

I use a multitude of methods. The strut tower tops I used an 1/8 drill bit and drilled the spot welds. Then used a ball shaped grinder on the underside ( the part that is going to be trashed) this thins the part so the weld snaps when I work it. I will post more later with better photos.
rick 918-S
I wanted to expand a little on the process of extrating parts in the most usable state. Deconstructing a spotwelded car is a challange. Let's face it. The car you are working to collect parts from you are really destroying. You really have to to get the part you need in the most unmolested state.

I dont often drill out welds but this section and example where I thought it was the best choice. I moved away from Blair spot Weld Drills as they are hard to center and gauge the depth you are drilling. If you over do it you are thinning the part you are attmpting to repair.

I need the bulkhead panel as the one in Rocky's car was bowed at the top when the strut towers pulled inward. The vertcal panel was kinked and dented from maybe a spare tire?

Anyway there are alot of spotwelds securing the bracing to the wheelhouse. The outer spotwelds are small. I was able to clear most of them with an 1/8 drill bit. When the section is reinstalled I will tig the donor part in place and most likely the welds will appear to be spotwelds again. The inner welds holding the parts together are a bit larger. And the strut tower top on the wheel house side it heavier gauge. I used a step drill to increase the 1/8" holes to clear the spotweld.

The second step I used was to go to the back side and use my ball grinder the thin the metal making the part I am not saving thin and weak. I have a couple screwdrivers I ground into a chisels to split the two parts.

The outer section of spot welds on the brace were still held but easy to split. I also cut around the "Cap" on the wheelhouse side to separate the outer wheelhouse side from the Cap.

The Cap part or strut mount I also used my ball grinder on. Once I felt I have the mount weaked enough. I used my screwdriver chisel from the top opening and struck the cap lip around the opening. There were a few spots hold but after a couple hits the part popped out.

Again I will Tig these holes when reinstalling.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The brace removal from Rocky's car will be just the ball grinder on the part I am removing. No Holes.
rick 918-S
More on the way i remove spot welds. This is just what I do. You may have a different method.

I use my ball grinder on the spot welds.

Click to view attachment

[quote]Then I use my screwdriver to pop them

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

All Cleaned up

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Worked on the left side for while tonight. Let's revisit to extent of the damage.

Click to view attachment

After the rough pulls I started the bumping.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Starting to take shape but lots of work to go yet.
Freezin 914
Always love seeing your work, makes me feel like they all can be saved…. Just.not by me….
Your metal working skills are very impressive…. beerchug.gif

I personally find lot of the workyou guys and gals do on the world very inspiring!
TRS63
Thanks for sharing your methods and those really interesting pictures !

Antoine
76-914
popcorn[1].gif
ThinAir
It's amazing to see the magic that you work!
rick 918-S
It has been a few minutes since I updated this repair. I have an NOS right fender but decided to see if I could save the factory part. As I dug into it I discovered it had been hit, drilled full of holes and bondo'd. Besides be crushed for the last accident there was alot of prior damage. I spent a few hours on it and it is strting to come around. I think I will just keep at it as I work out the inner panels and see where it leads.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

I also discovered this front suspension mount. This was the left side forward of the rack.

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Seems like keeping as much of the original metal as possible lends to the value of the finished product.

Looking good, it's come a long way!
rick 918-S
started trimming the clip to line up with the fixtures.

Click to view attachment

I made this circle fixture for Juergen's car when I sectioned on the right side floor pan.

Click to view attachment

I stripped the floor pan section I am saving and trimmed a mount as an alignment point so i know when I set the floor pan back the mount will line up with the fixture.

Click to view attachment

I finished up the left wheelhouse with the planisher and knocked the horizontal crease back in the panel.

Click to view attachment
76-914
Amazing work as always Rick. The first time that I noticed that crease I thought it was from a collision. av-943.gif
rhodyguy
Super stuff Rick. The dr side hole/mount for the anti-sway bar picture pretty much settles that debate.
flyer86d
Nicely done and you are very brave!

Charlie

Happy New Year!
rick 918-S
I purchased a floor pan from Restoration Design. I am not going to end up using it but thought as long as I have it in the shop I would see how the inner panels are linning up.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Slow Progress but the inner wheelhouses are lining up with the floor pan. That is an important step. The fenders are starting to come back in line. This may not look like much but from where these were to where they are is a considerable correction.

Mikey914
I remember seeing that. I formidable project, but sure you can handle it. beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
Progress The donor part is trimmed

Click to view attachment

The car is trimmed

Click to view attachment

And this is the first test fit

Click to view attachment

Still some final fitting to do. Then sandblast and epoxy before welding it up. once the platform is stable I can complete the metal finishing on the upper body.
infraredcalvin
Wow, that is staring to look like you’re in the home stretch… doesn't look like any damage telegraphed to the mid/rear of the chassis. Fascinated with your progress!!!
rick 918-S
Starting to fit. I plan to tig weld the butts. Here is are some photos of the seams starting to line up tight. It is hard to see but there is a seam just behind the bulkhead.

Click to view attachment

I split the hole and made a fixture to align it when the section comes back together.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Left side hood gap is starting to line up.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
East coaster
Amazing work…….and a lesson in patience!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 1 2024, 11:05 PM) *

Starting to fit. I plan to tig weld the butts. Here is are some photos of the seams starting to line up tight. It is hard to see but there is a seam just behind the bulkhead.

I split the hole and made a fixture to align it when the section comes back together.

exciting transformation!
was it easier to just use that whole front clip rather than the Restoration Design part for the front frunk floor etc?

Phil
rick 918-S
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 2 2024, 09:58 AM) *

exciting transformation!
was it easier to just use that whole front clip rather than the Restoration Design part for the front frunk floor etc?

Phil

The damage was too far into the car. The floor section wasn't long enough. I have been using it just to check the wheelhouse fit along the frunk floor though.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Feb 2 2024, 09:58 AM) *

exciting transformation!

Phil

The damage was too far into the car. The floor section wasn't long enough. I have been using it just to check the wheelhouse fit along the frunk floor though.
Montreal914
Pure art! pray.gif
rick 918-S
I sand blasted the replacement section and started the welding process.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Freezin 914
Very impressive! Looking good! beerchug.gif
DRPHIL914
piratenanner.gif welder.gif wow , huge project, cars like that were crushed not many years ago,
nice that they have become worth enough to put the time and effort into saving.
Cairo94507
Just so pleasing to see a badly damaged car come back from that and look like it did when it was assembled at the factory. smilie_pokal.gif
EdwardBlume
Well done Rick!
infraredcalvin
Wow, just wow!

That is such a milestone, love to see those seams so tight and the welds started. You have got to be excited to see this coming back together.
majkos1
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Feb 16 2024, 08:34 AM) *

Wow, just wow!

That is such a milestone, love to see those seams so tight and the welds started. You have got to be excited to see this coming back together.

agree.gif popcorn[1].gif

it's ART, as you majestically craft the pieces together. smiley_notworthy.gif

You have secret help? alien.gif
TRS63
Looking fantastic!

Antoine
rick 918-S
QUOTE(majkos1 @ Feb 16 2024, 08:27 AM) *

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Feb 16 2024, 08:34 AM) *

Wow, just wow!

agree.gif popcorn[1].gif

it's ART, as you majestically craft the pieces together. smiley_notworthy.gif

You have secret help? alien.gif

Hey Kevin! Wish i had an Alien helping me. When you tack the seam it pulls tight. You need to be able to hold a dolly on the back of the weld and strike the tack. This spreads the seam out again. Otherwise by the time you get 6" the metal is overlapping. I really needed a second set of hands but I figured it out.. smash.gif
rick 918-S
Second day welding.

Not the prettiest welding I ever did but tig welding at the bottom of the gas tank well to me is like trying to build a ship in a bottle. I think my auto darkening hood was not working tonight. blink.gif I had a low battery light on. Once I am finished I will flush off the weld.

Click to view attachment

Note the fixture I made to align hole in the panel.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
I haven't posted any progress in a while. This type of repair is victory by millimeters.At this point I have the Frunk Floor welded to the inner wheelhouses. I have the bulkhead and cross support for the strut towers welded. I have the front panel lower supports for the front panel to floor to wheelhouse welded. I used my Lenco Panel spotter so it looks factory.

Here is the bulkhead fit prior to spot welding. Consiering this panel was buckled in half and rwisted this is a remarkable fit.
Click to view attachment

Here it is after spot welding
Click to view attachment

Right Brace
Click to view attachment

Left Brace
Click to view attachment

The best part of the progress is this right and left fender fit. There is literally dozens of hours in moving the upper body back into alignment. The right fender being the most challenging. As a reminder here is where I started.

Click to view attachment

The first photo was over a month ago. The second photo was today.

There are about 8 hours of welding left. Granted I only get to work on the car a couple hours an evening if I am lucky. But I am getting close. Even when the welding is finished I will have several hours on correcting work on the right fender that was done prior to this crash.

Victory by Millimeters smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif assimilate.gif
vintage914racer
Great work, Rick!

I'm always amazed by the work that you do.
Cairo94507
Man, that fender/hood gap.... beerchug.gif
doug_b_928
That quarter gap is amazing!!! I’d be interested to see how you did that.
rick 918-S
So much more to do before I can say I am happy keeping the right fender. There was a prior repair involving drilling holes and lots of body filler I don't like using. I will expand on the process later tonight.
rick 918-S
Continued working on the right fender. There was a crack in the fender by the Headlight bucket and a kink in the vertical wheelhouse extension where the headlight pivot bolts. The metal eas overlapping at the crack.

Click to view attachment

After about 3 hours the crack is repaired.
The hood is not bolted. I just wet it on and pushed it up against the cowl panel

Click to view attachment

Still working on the end of the fender around the running light. There are a few other rips that need attension. I could replace this frnder but I would rather repair the original if it works out.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
Finally brought the engine home. Kind of a special engine. I got this from Slits. It's a 73 2.7S

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 4 2024, 08:00 PM) *

Finally brought the engine home. Kind of a special engine. I got this from Slits. It's a 73 2.7S

Click to view attachment

beer.gif
rick 918-S
Little more progress on the right fender. This is one of the tools I made to planish out damage. As I started to strip this fender I discovered old damage that was pummeled with pick hammer marks and ground thin and stretched.

Click to view attachment

I held a slightly curved dolly on the back of the panel and planished out the pick marks we well as I was able. Then I spent about 2 hours with a shrinking disc and various body hammers and dollies working out the stretch.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

I have the running/signal light fitting nicely now.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Lots of work to do yet but I am getting closer to saying the original fender will remain with the car.
76-914
You have the patience of Jobe, Rick. beerchug.gif
SteveL
When the metal has been ground thin, how thin can it be and still be usable?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.