Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Area51Werks starts another Autotopsy Resurrection of a Factory 6, Welding is Done! Fixtures are removed Onto the cleanup and paint work.
rick 918-S
post Mar 7 2024, 08:38 AM
Post #201

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(SteveL @ Mar 7 2024, 08:32 AM) *

When the metal has been ground thin, how thin can it be and still be usable?

It was on the bumper recess. I will need to cut out the edge and repair it. There were holes that were welded up that opened up we I was moving the metal back where it belonged. I did no welding here. that is what I uncovered. You can still see the pick hammer marks. The repair is at the level of high build primer over the surface with the exception of the recess.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 16 2024, 08:45 PM
Post #202

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Time for an update. I spent several hours working over this right fender. Besides someone slicing it open, there was an extensive amount of damage both from the accident I am repairing and a prior collision. There was about 3/8" of body filler across the section above the wheel lip from a prior repair.

I was unable to swing a hammer to knock the damage out. The planishing hammer I made for the inner wheelhouse repair was to big to fit inside the tight space as well. So I made another one.

I used a needle scaler and the dies from the bench top Harbor Freight planisher I have.

Attached Image

This photo show the extent of damage just past the hammer.

Attached Image

You can see how flat and concaved the fender was over the wheel opening.

Attached Image

Welding up the Cut

Attached Image

Roughing in the damage

Attached Image

Nearly Repaired.

Attached Image

Along with the planisher I used a shrinking disc and lots of time working the surface with hammers and blocks. I can say now that I will be keeping the original fender with the car. I really doubted I would be able to bring it back into a usable condition.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 17 2024, 06:37 AM
Post #203

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Simply amazing skills. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
gms
post Mar 17 2024, 08:20 AM
Post #204

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Well done Rick!
+Quote Post
DaveB
post Mar 17 2024, 10:57 PM
Post #205

Member No.: 26,107
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 16 2024, 07:45 PM) *

I really doubted I would be able to bring it back into a usable condition.

Great job on this. I assume you were hammering left handed with the dolly to work that area. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

DaveB
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 18 2024, 06:37 AM
Post #206

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

@Rick_918-S

Rick, i think you are a glutton for punishment!! I mean, something about minnesotans maybe? I mean anyone that subjects themsselves to such climate by choice is just different (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (former reformed minnesotan talking here) just kidding, but the reason i say that is it would be less time and effort almost to just take a donor fender like you did in the front and replace the whole thing and you dont have that damaged hammerd out metal, BUT i know your goal is to keep and repair as much original metal as possible. If not for it being an original six, i am wondering , would you on a different car take that approach instead?

Phil
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 18 2024, 07:45 PM
Post #207

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 18 2024, 07:37 AM) *

@Rick_918-S

Rick, i think you are a glutton for punishment!! I mean, something about minnesotans maybe? I mean anyone that subjects themsselves to such climate by choice is just different (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (former reformed minnesotan talking here) just kidding, but the reason i say that is it would be less time and effort almost to just take a donor fender like you did in the front and replace the whole thing and you dont have that damaged hammerd out metal, BUT i know your goal is to keep and repair as much original metal as possible. If not for it being an original six, i am wondering , would you on a different car take that approach instead?

Phil

Hey Doc!

We both left Minnesooota. Me, not s far. I still look across to Downtown Duluth from my deck in Superior WI. Still have snow in the winter. Except this year.

Attached Image

Here is our house from the street. i designed it with the help of my friend at ARI. in Duluth. It's a SIP house. I was the general for the build and did much of the work myself.

Attached Image

Here is our view across the bay.

Attached Image

I am a crazy guy with a lot of ideas. Some good, some not so good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Which brings me to the 6. It would be much easier to change the fender. I have an NOS one on the shelf. But if I don't need to remove the factory fender I would rather not. And if this was a 4 cylinder car that was crashed this hard I would have to have a real personal attachment to it to even entertain a repair.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)
+Quote Post
DaveB
post Mar 18 2024, 10:29 PM
Post #208

Member No.: 26,107

That's a really beautify MCM and great choice to use structural insulation. I have a happy place for glassy mid century style; had one for many years in Northern CA.

DaveB
+Quote Post
TRS63
post Mar 19 2024, 12:41 AM
Post #209

Member No.: 24,690
Region Association: Europe

Amazing house..not to forget the incredible metal work here!

Bests

Antoine
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 19 2024, 06:26 AM
Post #210

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 18 2024, 09:45 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 18 2024, 07:37 AM) *

@Rick_918-S

Phil

Hey Doc!

We both left Minnesooota. Me, not s far. I still look across to Downtown Duluth from my deck in Superior WI. Still have snow in the winter. Except this year.

Attached Image

Here is our house from the street. i designed it with the help of my friend at ARI. in Duluth. It's a SIP house. I was the general for the build and did much of the work myself.

Attached Image

Here is our view across the bay.

Attached Image

I am a crazy guy with a lot of ideas. Some good, some not so good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Which brings me to the 6. It would be much easier to change the fender. I have an NOS one on the shelf. But if I don't need to remove the factory fender I would rather not. And if this was a 4 cylinder car that was crashed this hard I would have to have a real personal attachment to it to even entertain a repair.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)

thanks for the reply, sorry for a hijack of your build thread,truth be told growing up i did dream of someday having a home on a lake up in N. Minnesota, we used to spend a lot of time on Pelican Lake, Breazy point , but friends owned a resort across the lake from it. i LOVE that house and saw the build thread you posted, the view is awesome, i really dont blame you for staying, in some weird ways i miss the winter a bit, i forgot you moved across the border!. I have a friend that retired from active practice a few years ago, he was from that area originally but spent 40+ years in St. Louis, they built a beautiful cabin on a bluff overlooking a lake up in N. Wisconsin near the Canada boarder and they LOVE the winter experience, and stay most of the winter. anyway carry on..... that fender will look new and i look forward to seeing the end result.

The dream now for me upon retirement is a cabin in NC or TN area.....with a shop....

+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 19 2024, 10:16 AM
Post #211

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

Very cool! Only knew one person who could shape metal like that. It's an art to say the least.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 25 2024, 10:15 PM
Post #212

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Just some boring repair work over the last several days. Some previous owner did some seal channel repair that kind of wrecked the back side of the right headlight bucket. Luckily I had a second front panel I got from Garold that had a good bucket for the section I needed. Still have some finish grinding but it's close now. Typical rust in the seal channel. I still have lots of clean up grinding to do but I thought I would save it for last.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Mar 28 2024, 04:31 PM
Post #213

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

To see what the damage started as to what it is now is amazing! Thanks for posting all the pics!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 29 2024, 06:47 AM
Post #214

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Left Headlight Bucket had an issue where the headlight cover extension mounts as well as some seal channel replacement needed.

Attached Image
Attached Image

Almost ready for epoxy Primer. I should have all the welding done on the front repair this weekend. I have 3 days off!! Wooo Hoo!
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 29 2024, 06:59 AM
Post #215

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

That's a big step forward Rick. Very nicely done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
+Quote Post
East coaster
post Mar 29 2024, 08:19 AM
Post #216

Member No.: 487
Region Association: None

Phenomenal work man!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 29 2024, 09:02 PM
Post #217

Hey nice rack! -Celette

All the seal channels have been repaired. I had to re-drill the the holes for the eyebrow rubber bumpers.

Attached Image

Test fit the eyebrows.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Probably another week before it goes into epoxy primer. Lots of little details to complete. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/assimilate.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 30 2024, 08:30 AM
Post #218

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

I am in awe at the level of skill. @Rick 918-S , count me as one of your biggest fan-boys!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Mar 30 2024, 08:46 AM
Post #219

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Great work and a great work enviroment. And you just keep pulling out the right tool for the Job. Cool

Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 30 2024, 09:23 AM
Post #220

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Mar 30 2024, 09:30 AM) *

I am in awe at the level of skill. @Rick 918-S , count me as one of your biggest fan-boys!

Thanks but your no slouch yourself. I like that cooler your doing for Michael. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:46 AM