Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do I need it?, the relay board in a 3.2 conversion
worn
post Oct 24 2013, 09:19 AM
Post #1

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have the body mostly stripped. Lots of rust, new panels (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) and only a few grams of bondo. Someone did it right because there is a row of holes for the puller, but i can't feel the crease. Also they used DP-40 and that strips off hard.

So now that I am looking at engine, car, engine, car, imagining the big day, I am wondering about the wiring. I have these two stubs that normally support the relay board, but what do I need that for? I am pretty good at wiring and understand the German schematics. Fuel pump is in the front, so the relay can mount up front. The voltage regulator is now in the alternator. I can pass through the lighting wires easier than have them terminate at a board plug. So, that makes me think it can be zipped off and then I won't poke myself in the face and maybe have a little extra room.

UNless. Unless there is something I am missing here. Originality? What is the consensus if there is one?

Thanks folks. It has been a long wait and I want to hear the engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
moparrob
post Oct 24 2013, 09:27 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,663
Region Association: None

Not needed so long as you have Jeff Bowlsby build you a (beautiful) bypass harness that plugs into the 914 fourteen pin harness.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Oct 24 2013, 09:49 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(moparrob @ Oct 24 2013, 08:27 AM) *

Not needed so long as you have Jeff Bowlsby build you a (beautiful) bypass harness that plugs into the 914 fourteen pin harness.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Or you get a 14 pin connector and build your own bypass, you said you were good at wiring.
The 14 pin connectors were used on some other German cars.
At least I know for sure they were used on some late 80's Audi's since I cut about 6 of them out at Pick N Pull a few years ago.
I sold a couple to members here doing conversions, have a couple more somewhere.

Jim
+Quote Post
worn
post Oct 24 2013, 10:56 AM
Post #4

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Oct 24 2013, 07:49 AM) *

QUOTE(moparrob @ Oct 24 2013, 08:27 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Or you get a 14 pin connector and build your own bypass, you said you were good at wiring.
The 14 pin connectors were used on some other German cars.
At least I know for sure they were used on some late 80's Audi's since I cut about 6 of them out at Pick N Pull a few years ago.
I sold a couple to members here doing conversions, have a couple more somewhere.

Jim

I was thinking of making sub connections, without the 14 pin connector. I can easily make connector blocks with parts readily available or at the pick and pull. For example, ignition, tach, battery light and brain power would go with one plug and the lights another. I want to run a heater fan, so I would mount the relay for that on a bulkhead (and horrors) probably not a round 5 pin relay at that. There aren't that many connections and I am jettisoning fuel and alternator already.

One thing I will certainly try to do is use the original color coded wires so anyone can follow what I have done fairly easily. I am looking for a chewed up wiring harness.

BUT!? Will getting rid of these original parts make the car less attractive say if my wife has to sell it some day? Lord knows she won't drive it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) .
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 24 2013, 10:58 AM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Patrick motorsport sells a cable to bypass the board. plug and play on a 3.2
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Oct 24 2013, 11:44 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,536

I took mine out and used the PMS conversion harness. If you search on my 3.2 ventures I have one thread on wiring everything up including the mapping for the harness, tach, fuel pump etc.

I did the search...here it is:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=116617&hl=
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 24 2013, 12:41 PM
Post #7

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 24 2013, 08:58 AM) *

McMark told me not to buy the PMS cable. He plans on making one. His harness work is impeccable... I'm going with the McCable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 24 2013, 02:06 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 24 2013, 02:41 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 24 2013, 08:58 AM) *

McMark told me not to buy the PMS cable. He plans on making one. His harness work is impeccable... I'm going with the McCable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I will too when available. Thanks for info. Always happy to support our vendors
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:01 AM