Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I need it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
I have the body mostly stripped. Lots of rust, new panels welder.gif and only a few grams of bondo. Someone did it right because there is a row of holes for the puller, but i can't feel the crease. Also they used DP-40 and that strips off hard.

So now that I am looking at engine, car, engine, car, imagining the big day, I am wondering about the wiring. I have these two stubs that normally support the relay board, but what do I need that for? I am pretty good at wiring and understand the German schematics. Fuel pump is in the front, so the relay can mount up front. The voltage regulator is now in the alternator. I can pass through the lighting wires easier than have them terminate at a board plug. So, that makes me think it can be zipped off and then I won't poke myself in the face and maybe have a little extra room.

UNless. Unless there is something I am missing here. Originality? What is the consensus if there is one?

Thanks folks. It has been a long wait and I want to hear the engine. w00t.gif
moparrob
Not needed so long as you have Jeff Bowlsby build you a (beautiful) bypass harness that plugs into the 914 fourteen pin harness.
jcd914
QUOTE(moparrob @ Oct 24 2013, 08:27 AM) *

Not needed so long as you have Jeff Bowlsby build you a (beautiful) bypass harness that plugs into the 914 fourteen pin harness.

agree.gif

Or you get a 14 pin connector and build your own bypass, you said you were good at wiring.
The 14 pin connectors were used on some other German cars.
At least I know for sure they were used on some late 80's Audi's since I cut about 6 of them out at Pick N Pull a few years ago.
I sold a couple to members here doing conversions, have a couple more somewhere.

Jim
worn
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Oct 24 2013, 07:49 AM) *

QUOTE(moparrob @ Oct 24 2013, 08:27 AM) *

agree.gif

Or you get a 14 pin connector and build your own bypass, you said you were good at wiring.
The 14 pin connectors were used on some other German cars.
At least I know for sure they were used on some late 80's Audi's since I cut about 6 of them out at Pick N Pull a few years ago.
I sold a couple to members here doing conversions, have a couple more somewhere.

Jim

I was thinking of making sub connections, without the 14 pin connector. I can easily make connector blocks with parts readily available or at the pick and pull. For example, ignition, tach, battery light and brain power would go with one plug and the lights another. I want to run a heater fan, so I would mount the relay for that on a bulkhead (and horrors) probably not a round 5 pin relay at that. There aren't that many connections and I am jettisoning fuel and alternator already.

One thing I will certainly try to do is use the original color coded wires so anyone can follow what I have done fairly easily. I am looking for a chewed up wiring harness.

BUT!? Will getting rid of these original parts make the car less attractive say if my wife has to sell it some day? Lord knows she won't drive it laugh.gif .
mepstein
Patrick motorsport sells a cable to bypass the board. plug and play on a 3.2
jim912928
I took mine out and used the PMS conversion harness. If you search on my 3.2 ventures I have one thread on wiring everything up including the mapping for the harness, tach, fuel pump etc.

I did the search...here it is:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=116617&hl=
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 24 2013, 08:58 AM) *

McMark told me not to buy the PMS cable. He plans on making one. His harness work is impeccable... I'm going with the McCable. biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 24 2013, 02:41 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 24 2013, 08:58 AM) *

McMark told me not to buy the PMS cable. He plans on making one. His harness work is impeccable... I'm going with the McCable. biggrin.gif

I will too when available. Thanks for info. Always happy to support our vendors
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.