Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> door sill valences
arcadeforever
post Oct 27 2013, 03:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,568
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hi, yet another question, it appears my door sill valences, hopefully the right nomenclature, are plastic and say Porsche on them, are they after market, and should they be just solid metal?

thanks
Wayne
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Oct 27 2013, 03:17 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(arcadeforever @ Oct 27 2013, 02:04 PM) *

Hi, yet another question, it appears my door sill valences, hopefully the right nomenclature, are plastic and say Porsche on them, are they after market, and should they be just solid metal?

thanks
Wayne

I don't believe original door sill rails had "Porsche" on them. Whether your car should have aluminum or black plastic rails depends on the build date of your car. Threshold rails switched to black plastic mid-73 model year.
+Quote Post
arcadeforever
post Oct 27 2013, 03:26 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Oct 27 2013, 05:17 PM) *

thanks
Wayne

I don't believe original door sill rails had "Porsche" on them. Whether your car should have aluminum or black plastic rails depends on the build date of your car. Threshold rails switched to black plastic mid-73 model year.

Oh, ok, mine is a '71
+Quote Post
bcheney
post Oct 27 2013, 03:50 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,348
Region Association: South East States

thanks
Wayne

The correct nomenclature for the part I think you are describing in "Rocker Panel". All OEM rocker panels where steel. You can buy fiberglass aftermarket rocker panels. I believe what you have are ABS plastic aftermarket rocker panels and they are (NLA) no longer available. If the PORSCHE script is offset from the center of the panel...that's what you have. Here is a picture. On this car they painted the raised lettering for effect.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
arcadeforever
post Oct 27 2013, 04:46 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(bcheney @ Oct 27 2013, 05:50 PM) *

thanks
Wayne

The correct nomenclature for the part I think you are describing in "Rocker Panel". All OEM rocker panels where steel. You can buy fiberglass aftermarket rocker panels. I believe what you have are ABS plastic aftermarket rocker panels and they are (NLA) no longer available. If the PORSCHE script is offset from the center of the panel...that's what you have. Here is a picture. On this car they painted the raised lettering for effect.

Thanks very much, Rocker panel it is! mine are damaged, and Im looking at a set on CL for $100 now, is that a descent price?
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Oct 27 2013, 04:58 PM
Post #6

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460

yes
+Quote Post
bcheney
post Oct 27 2013, 07:10 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,348
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(bcheney @ Oct 27 2013, 05:50 PM) *

thanks
Wayne

Great price depending on the condition you find them in. You want to be sure the mounting holes are in good shape. If they aren't...they could be hard to install and could end up looking bad as you do see them prominently whenever you open the door. Aftermarket new steel rocker panels go for $155 each and then you have to paint them. Here is a link to a supplier.

http://www.restoration-design.com/mm5/merc...duct_Code=P300R

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 12:27 PM