Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: door sill valences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arcadeforever
Hi, yet another question, it appears my door sill valences, hopefully the right nomenclature, are plastic and say Porsche on them, are they after market, and should they be just solid metal?

thanks
Wayne
dlkawashima
QUOTE(arcadeforever @ Oct 27 2013, 02:04 PM) *

Hi, yet another question, it appears my door sill valences, hopefully the right nomenclature, are plastic and say Porsche on them, are they after market, and should they be just solid metal?

thanks
Wayne

I don't believe original door sill rails had "Porsche" on them. Whether your car should have aluminum or black plastic rails depends on the build date of your car. Threshold rails switched to black plastic mid-73 model year.
arcadeforever
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Oct 27 2013, 05:17 PM) *

thanks
Wayne

I don't believe original door sill rails had "Porsche" on them. Whether your car should have aluminum or black plastic rails depends on the build date of your car. Threshold rails switched to black plastic mid-73 model year.

Oh, ok, mine is a '71
bcheney

thanks
Wayne

The correct nomenclature for the part I think you are describing in "Rocker Panel". All OEM rocker panels where steel. You can buy fiberglass aftermarket rocker panels. I believe what you have are ABS plastic aftermarket rocker panels and they are (NLA) no longer available. If the PORSCHE script is offset from the center of the panel...that's what you have. Here is a picture. On this car they painted the raised lettering for effect.
arcadeforever
QUOTE(bcheney @ Oct 27 2013, 05:50 PM) *

thanks
Wayne

The correct nomenclature for the part I think you are describing in "Rocker Panel". All OEM rocker panels where steel. You can buy fiberglass aftermarket rocker panels. I believe what you have are ABS plastic aftermarket rocker panels and they are (NLA) no longer available. If the PORSCHE script is offset from the center of the panel...that's what you have. Here is a picture. On this car they painted the raised lettering for effect.

Thanks very much, Rocker panel it is! mine are damaged, and Im looking at a set on CL for $100 now, is that a descent price?
jimkelly
yes
bcheney
QUOTE(bcheney @ Oct 27 2013, 05:50 PM) *

thanks
Wayne

Great price depending on the condition you find them in. You want to be sure the mounting holes are in good shape. If they aren't...they could be hard to install and could end up looking bad as you do see them prominently whenever you open the door. Aftermarket new steel rocker panels go for $155 each and then you have to paint them. Here is a link to a supplier.

http://www.restoration-design.com/mm5/merc...duct_Code=P300R

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.