Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 8 9 10  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transmission Clinic in Charles City, VA at Scotty B's, FEB, Sign up, ask questions, etc.
steve911T
post Feb 10 2014, 07:03 AM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,859
Region Association: None

It was great meeting everyone. Thanks Stephen for the pork and rice, excellent. Also, thanks for the differential (901 Box). You have to love Dr. Evil, very entertaining and incredible knowledge on the transmission. I hope to do it again when I get the other trans out and will eagerly await his next local clinic. Anyway, great weekend and great bunch of people. Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
puffinator
post Feb 10 2014, 08:36 AM
Post #182

Member No.: 16,218
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks to Mike (Dr. Evil) and Scotty for leading and hosting the event, Stephen for the really good pig, and bozo914 (I didn’t catch the name) for the great chili. And thanks to all who helped. It was a super learning event and it was amazing to watch Mike tear open a transmission and toss the parts out helter-skelter as we newbies were trying to remember how it came apart – no chance!
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Feb 10 2014, 09:08 AM
Post #183

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

QUOTE(steve911T @ Feb 10 2014, 08:03 AM) *

...You have to love Dr. Evil...

Well, you don't "have to", but it helps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 10 2014, 11:01 AM
Post #184

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Craving pork! Fighting a cold. Ah, days off.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 10 2014, 11:42 AM
Post #185

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Lol.
On Sunday when you said you were hot and sweating a storm my first thought was "Mikes sick. Hungover and sick."

Zach
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Feb 10 2014, 03:46 PM
Post #186

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376

I Think Stephen Aki said it best, but I'd like to thank Mike, Steven, Blizzard and the rest of the guys!

What a great day and excellent to hang around with like minded (a.k.a. "Crazy") 914 owners.
I truly appreciate the abuse I took from Mike and his willingness to give much to our community.

Great Pig (thanks for the recipie)

Lots of fun!, Thanks Dr. and all!

...hmmm one fleeting thought... Did one of us tighten the input shaft on my transmission??????... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 10 2014, 05:38 PM
Post #187

Probably? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Feb 10 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #188

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

Hats off to Stephen for the pig. I had a great weekend and met some really great people. It is amazing how much I learned. Being able to watch the Dr. work and then have him explain how things worked was amazing.

I hope I was helpful to those that I tried to lend a hand to. I think I did it wrong a couple of times on my trans before trying to help others. But of course there was that first gear incident on Stephens trans but we are never going to speak about that again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I would do it again this weekend.

Put the trans on the motor tonight.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Feb 11 2014, 08:13 AM
Post #189

Can I get this one dad??

Member No.: 7,987

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Feb 10 2014, 04:56 PM) *

Hats off to Stephen for the pig. I had a great weekend and met some really great people. It is amazing how much I learned. Being able to watch the Dr. work and then have him explain how things worked was amazing.

I hope I was helpful to those that I tried to lend a hand to. I think I did it wrong a couple of times on my trans before trying to help others. But of course there was that first gear incident on Stephens trans but we are never going to speak about that again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached Image

That looks awesome Mike!
+Quote Post
dw914six
post Feb 11 2014, 08:40 PM
Post #190

Member No.: 16,902
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(stephenaki @ Feb 11 2014, 06:13 AM) *

Attached Image

That looks awesome Mike!

That looks fantastic.....that was old Blue??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Who knew??? I think you took it up a few notches since you have owned her. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Feb 11 2014, 09:01 PM
Post #191

Advanced Member

QUOTE(dw914six @ Feb 11 2014, 06:40 PM) *

Attached Image

That looks awesome Mike!

That looks fantastic.....that was old Blue??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Who knew??? I think you took it up a few notches since you have owned her. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Had a pretty good start thanks to you Dan! There will always be things that happened in the life of a 40-year old car that will make you wonder how that happened. But I have just been scraping away some of the rough spots and polishing it a bit. Well a lot when it comes to the trans. But all the trans needed was some first gear dog teeth and a few scynros.

Hope the Dr. gets your trans sorted. I consider myself an average shade tree mechanic but this guy is friggin awesome! Learned so much in a couple of days it was unreal. Even if you don't want to build a trans, doing this clinc just puts you in such a good position to understand the trans and prevent any big issues because you did not have the right information. If he comes to TX you should go!
+Quote Post
lvnzdrm
post Feb 16 2014, 07:25 PM
Post #192

Member No.: 15,452

Got the motor in last Monday and everything all tweaked and dialed in today. Took the car for the first drive with the fresh transmission. What a difference 5th gear makes!! Very smooth through all gears. Thanks to everyone for all the help and knowledge they provided. This car has been off the road since 1991...Now on to the fun stuff!!!
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Feb 16 2014, 08:19 PM
Post #193

Advanced Member

Got my engine and trans back in the car. Have to put everything back on the topside but should be ready for a drive this week.

Going to have to teach my wife to drive the car now that the trans is in good shape. But I guess I know how to rebuild it so I have no more excuses.
+Quote Post
dw914six
post Feb 16 2014, 08:24 PM
Post #194

Member No.: 16,902
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Feb 11 2014, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(dw914six @ Feb 11 2014, 06:40 PM) *

Attached Image

That looks awesome Mike!

Had a pretty good start thanks to you Dan! There will always be things that happened in the life of a 40-year old car that will make you wonder how that happened. But I have just been scraping away some of the rough spots and polishing it a bit. Well a lot when it comes to the trans. But all the trans needed was some first gear dog teeth and a few scynros.

Hope the Dr. gets your trans sorted. I consider myself an average shade tree mechanic but this guy is friggin awesome! Learned so much in a couple of days it was unreal. Even if you don't want to build a trans, doing this clinc just puts you in such a good position to understand the trans and prevent any big issues because you did not have the right information. If he comes to TX you should go!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) oh yes, if he gets to Texas, I am in.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 16 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #195

TX will happen. Possibly multiple ones. Glad to hear when these are in and satisfying. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Feb 19 2014, 03:11 PM
Post #196

Advanced Member

Drove the car for a short time this afternoon. No grinding into first! Shifts like a dream. Just a little catch on reverse going into second at times. Needs a little adjustment. Have not driven it at highway speed yet.

But I did notice my reverse lights are on all the time. I did not think there was an orientation to the wires. But I was wondering if I should swap them around or look for something else?
+Quote Post
stephenaki
post Feb 19 2014, 07:05 PM
Post #197

Can I get this one dad??

Member No.: 7,987

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Feb 19 2014, 01:11 PM) *

Drove the car for a short time this afternoon. No grinding into first! Shifts like a dream. Just a little catch on reverse going into second at times. Needs a little adjustment. Have not driven it at highway speed yet.

But I did notice my reverse lights are on all the time. I did not think there was an orientation to the wires. But I was wondering if I should swap them around or look for something else?

hmm, never thought of that...good question. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Feb 19 2014, 08:29 PM
Post #198

The lights are defaulted to off. You need either a short between the two wires in the plug outside of the switch, or you probably installed the pin under the switch backwards and it is always pushing the switch to ON. There is not order to the wires.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Feb 20 2014, 05:20 AM
Post #199

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 19 2014, 06:29 PM) *

The lights are defaulted to off. You need either a short between the two wires in the plug outside of the switch, or you probably installed the pin under the switch backwards and it is always pushing the switch to ON. There is not order to the wires.

I bet it is the pin. If I helped you install your backup switch at the clinic you may want to check it because I think I did them the same way.
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 8 9 10
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:17 AM