Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Official 914 Ashtray Cupholder Order Thread, Out with printing, in with waterjet cut stainless!
Jeffs9146
post Dec 19 2013, 07:18 PM
Post #81

Ski Bum

Group: Members
Member No.: 128

I received my cupholder yesterday and spent a few minutes installing it today! Although it looks good and I am sure it will function as advertised I wanted to put out an issue that I had when it was put in!

I first tried to slide it into the ashtray slot and it started to bind up. When I got it to go all the way in I tried to pull it back out and the back lip kept hooking on the top of the ashtray track frame! I took some sand paper and smoothed out the edges on the back of the holder. It worked pushing it back in and out a few times so I decided to put the stop down to keep it from sliding out beyond where it is supposed to go! I then pushed it back in and pulled it back out and it stuck half way again on the lip. I pulled hard and it wouldn't budge! I started wiggling it and pulling it and WAM it popped all the way out braking the stop off!

At first I was a bit miffed but I decided to make one out of metal and ground some more off the lips!

It turned out fine, and works great, but I wanted to let other people know that if it sticks you may need to grind a bit of the lip off the back edge like in this photo!

I do like the holder.....thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RazorbackFan78
post Dec 24 2013, 12:16 PM
Post #82

3 different layers of paint helps protect if from rust

Member No.: 15,709
Region Association: South East States

Please put me down for a #2 with Soda Insert.
Thanks! -Matt

***EDIT: since 2&3 are discontinued I'll take a #1 for my 73'
+Quote Post
Speedmster
post Dec 29 2013, 06:43 AM
Post #83

Member No.: 8,132
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Please add me to the list. I would like a #4 The Stealth Ashtray Cupholder (Up to 73') -$45 and a #5 Soda-holding Insert -$8.

PM to follow.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Dec 29 2013, 09:45 AM
Post #84

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Ray and I have been cranking these out like crazy over the holidays! Look for a flurry of shipments in the next few days! Also, be on the lookout for a new development coming around the new year!

-Ross
+Quote Post
David Stowers
post Jan 6 2014, 11:50 AM
Post #85

Member No.: 14,613
Region Association: None

How's the flurry of shipments progressing? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)
+Quote Post
Jerlle
post Jan 7 2014, 01:38 PM
Post #86

Member No.: 16,799
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rnellums @ Nov 8 2013, 10:26 PM) *

QUOTE(krk @ Nov 8 2013, 11:41 PM) *

I love this project. (and, oh, I love 3D printing....)

I'm in for #1, #4 and #6. (I have a droid x -- hopefully it'll work, but I'll work with
what I get (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

PMO works best for me. PM me where to send it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--krk.

---
Kim Knuttila
mobile: 408 564 9545

I can definitely design something up that should work, but I'll need good measurements. Do you have a set of calipers? PM me for further discussion! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have a Droid X2 which should have the same dimensions of the Droid X. I found a Solidworks model of the Droid X at grabcad.com (I use a version of Autodesk Inventor that cannot open the Solidworks file there but a colleague uses Solidworks and can convert it so I can check the dimensions). Did you get the dimensions from the above poster for his Droid X?

I am a design engineer by trade and was going to make my own phone holder for my 914 either by CNC or 3D printing (have access to both). However, I saw you had done the grunt work of the process and I being a good and proper lazy engineer I would rather order a good working and tested product than spend several hours of time and wasted materials fabricating my own.

If you do not have dimensions for the Droid X/Droid X2 I can design the mount for one and send the 3D CAD files to you (we can work out the details of all this later I am guessing). Let me know if you are interested or if you have already done the design work for the Droid X/Droid X2.
+Quote Post
David Stowers
post Jan 15 2014, 05:02 AM
Post #87

QUOTE(David Stowers @ Jan 6 2014, 09:50 AM) *

How's the flurry of shipments progressing? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 15 2014, 08:48 AM
Post #88

Professional Enthusiast

Yes! my apologies for not responding to you last message! I sent out 7 earlier this week! Specifically, David, your cup holder is on deck to be printed! Ray is out of town this week, but it should be about ready next week!

I made an Assembly and installation video, and then promptly lost the phone it was recorded on, but look for one of those coming in the near future!

+Quote Post
David Stowers
post Jan 15 2014, 09:03 AM
Post #89

QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 15 2014, 06:48 AM) *

Yes! my apologies for not responding to you last message! I sent out 7 earlier this week! Specifically, David, your cup holder is on deck to be printed! Ray is out of town this week, but it should be about ready next week!

I made an Assembly and installation video, and then promptly lost the phone it was recorded on, but look for one of those coming in the near future!

Cool, thanks
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Jan 18 2014, 08:52 PM
Post #90

Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hey Ross - I got my stealth cupholder the other day, thanks for the quick shipment!
It fits the dash great and I'm pleased with it. The only issue I see so far is my latch is getting hung up on my wiring for the "fasten seat belt" light underneath. I was in a hurry to get off to work and it's freezing in my garage so it'll have to wait for another day. Thanks for making a cool product for us!! Jon
+Quote Post
Steve
post Jan 23 2014, 04:51 PM
Post #91

914 Guru

Member No.: 822
Region Association: Southern California

I just got mine today and installed it. Nice product, very happy with it. Slid right in no problems. I just need to figure out how to reach back in there to turn down the latch, so it doesn't come out. The Soda Can insert is a must. Soda cans fits very nice as well as my small water bottles. I probably shouldn't have ordered the iPhone 5 adapter since my iPhone has an otter box case on it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 23 2014, 04:56 PM
Post #92

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 23 2014, 03:51 PM) *

I just got mine today and installed it. Nice product, very happy with it. Slid right in no problems. I just need to figure out how to reach back in there to turn down the latch, so it doesn't come out. The Soda Can insert is a must. Soda cans fits very nice as well as my small water bottles. I probably shouldn't have ordered the iPhone 5 adapter since my iPhone has an otter box case on it.

You should be able to use a 4mm allen wrench to turn the lug to the locked position (7-8 o'clock looking towards the front of the car)

I'm glad to hear you like it!
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 25 2014, 11:05 AM
Post #93

Professional Enthusiast

Printing is going well, but unfortunately the #2 and #3 cup holders are not printing as well as could be hoped. Due to some difficulties in printing them we will be discontinuing those models.

-Ross
+Quote Post
914itis
post Jan 25 2014, 12:04 PM
Post #94

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 23 2014, 05:51 PM) *

Got mine as well and I agree with the comments. However the iPhone adapter is useless and maybe to must of us. The issue with the iPhone is thickness,; one must remove the case To fit. I have the slimmest case and no go. Must of us have a case and it's inconvenient to remove.

Overhaul, I am satisfy. Great product
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Jan 25 2014, 12:09 PM
Post #95

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(914itis @ Jan 25 2014, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 23 2014, 05:51 PM) *

Got mine as well and I agree with the comments. However the iPhone adapter is useless and maybe to must of us. The issue with the iPhone is thickness,; one must remove the case To fit. I have the slimmest case and no go. Must of us have a case and it's inconvenient to remove.

I agree about the thickness. The holder must be a snug fit to prevent the phone from sliding out during bumps, and I have optimized the tolerances to be tight enough for the phone body itself. I really need to put together an adjustable adapter.

I'm going to hold off shipping any more phone holders until I have a suitable adjustable phone holder.

Thank you for the input!!
+Quote Post
Speedmster
post Feb 8 2014, 11:04 AM
Post #96

Member No.: 8,132
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Speedmster @ Dec 29 2013, 07:43 AM) *

Please add me to the list. I would like a #4 The Stealth Ashtray Cupholder (Up to 73') -$45 and a #5 Soda-holding Insert -$8.

PM to follow.

How's it coming along on these ashtray cupholders?
+Quote Post
larryM
post Feb 8 2014, 05:35 PM
Post #97

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

got mine about 2 weeks ago - nice idea, works well

got one of each normal & stealth -

- agree on the challenge of setting the tab -

did have to trim the left edge of the normal style unit to clear my dashtopper, but that's my problem, not the unit's - it can easily be shaped on a bench grinder
+Quote Post
David Stowers
post Feb 9 2014, 03:40 AM
Post #98

QUOTE(larryM @ Feb 8 2014, 03:35 PM) *

did have to trim the left edge of the normal style unit to clear my dashtopper, but that's my problem, not the unit's - it can easily be shaped on a bench grinder

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Not had mine yet. How come they're not being done in the order on page one anymore? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 9 2014, 10:01 AM
Post #99

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(David Stowers @ Feb 9 2014, 02:40 AM) *

QUOTE(larryM @ Feb 8 2014, 03:35 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Not had mine yet. How come they're not being done in the order on page one anymore? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I'm sorry that this hasn't been going smoother. The order of sending got thrown off because there was a shortage of accessories being printed (soda holder etc.), so I sent out some of the surplus cup holders to those who only wanted the cupholder. I have another large batch to assemble this weekend, and should be able to get yours out to you soon David.

-Ross
+Quote Post
MegoManSF
post Apr 8 2014, 03:00 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 15,532
Region Association: Northern California

[size=2]
I would like the embossed one. I have a '74 with the rivet style ashtray. I'd also like the water bottle attachment and attachment for iPhone 5. If you want to send me a PayPal statement my email is copykatharry@comcast.net. Thank you so much for this ingenious invention! How long will it take to get? Thanks- Harry
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 08:19 AM