Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Official 914 Ashtray Cupholder Order Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
rnellums
Alright everyone! Ray and I are finally happy with the design quality and are planning to begin printing units Tuesday! This thread is going to be the official order thread, and orders will be filled as quickly as possible in the order of posts up here. Payment is preferred through Paypal (I’ll give the email for paypal out in a PM confirming your order) when it is ready to be shipped, but mailed check is also acceptable. Please, no payments until the item is packed and ready to be shipped.
There will be four models available, each priced at $45 shipped. Each model can hold a 32 oz “Big Gulp” comfortably, and excel equally well at holding more traditional 16oz coffee cups. The units will be printed in black ABS plastic, assembled using ABS glue. Each of these designs takes approximately 9 hours to print, allowing us to print two units per day. With the amount of interest in this item some will likely be waiting 30 days+ before delivery. The models are described below:

#1 The 914 Ashtray Cupholder - $45
This model has a printed front face and is intended as a direct slide-in replacement for the stock ashtray.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

#4 The Stealth Ashtray Cupholder (Up to 73') -$45
This model re-uses the stock front from the ashtray, making the cupholder indistinguishable from a stock ashtray when closed.
There are differences between ashtrays! See http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=ashtray for more information. I expect that prior to mid-74 the ashtray fronts was held on with screws (100% compatible with stealth design), and after 74 they switched.

74 and LATER ASHTRAY CUPHOLDERS are now available!!

IMPORTANT: before placing your order, verify which ashtray you have (either a screw on ashtray front, or one with funny rivets).
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

There will also be several accessories available. The list of accessories, along with short descriptions of each are listed below.

#5 Soda-holding Insert -$8
This clips into the ashtray cupholder allowing it to hold a soda can or small water bottle
Click to view attachment

#6 Phone Holder -$15
This accessory clips into any of the ashtray cupholders and rotates to lock in place. I currently have holders for the following phones, but will be continuing to expand the models available.
  • a. Galaxy S4
  • b. Nokia Lumia 920
  • c. Iphone 4
  • d. Iphone 5
Click to view attachment

An anticipated accessory eventually is an adjustable holder, but no design work has been completed on it at this point.

In summary, the prices are as follows:
Any 914 ashtray cupholder - $45
Soda Holder -$8
Phone Mount - $15

Below are some videos of the ashtray in action. These represent the worst case of use for most users, as the test vehicle is a 2.4L typeIV, with the Koni suspension set to full stiff on bumpy roads! I did not go easy on it!

Cup Holder:
http://youtu.be/J3oRbCKoqnk

Phone Mount:
http://youtu.be/lG-zEAxf9WE

Thanks for looking first.gif ! Please PM me for any questions, as I would like to keep this thread strictly for orders!

Current Confirmed Orders *-Local Pickup
DELIVERED - Ben*James - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder, Samsung Note 3
DELIVERED - Billh1963 - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder - PRINTED
DELIVERED - Kansas914* - #4 Stealth Ashtray Cupholder, Samsung Galaxy Note
MojoRisen* - 2 x #4 Stealth Ashtray Cupholder (74+)
DELIVERED - Naro914 - #4 Stealth Ashtray Cupholder, Iphone 5, Soda
DELIVERED - Racer_Chris - #1 Ashtray Cupholder, #4 Stealth Ashtray Cupholder
1stWorks* - ?, Galaxy Note 2, Soda
DELIVERED - Jfort - #4 Stealth, Iphone 5
DELIVERED - JRust - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder, Galaxy S4, Soda
DELIVERED - hcdmueller - #1 914 AShtray Cupholder, Soda
DELIVERED - wndsnd - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder
SHIPPED - jeffs9146 - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder, Soda
DELIVERED - x-faktory - #4 Stealth
Steve - #4 Stealth, Iphone 5, Soda
Phillip W. - #4 Stealth (74+), Droid Razr Maxx, Soda
Zimms - #4 Stealth
peteyd - #4 Stealth, Iphone 5
Zambezi - #2 Embossed, Soda
914itis - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder,Iphone 5, Soda
Kaduku - #4 Stealth
eric9144 - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder, Iphone 4, Soda
DamesandHotrods - #2 Embossed, Soda
Ellisor3 - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder, Soda
Java2570 - #4 Stealth
914four - #2 Embossed, Iphone 4
David Stowers - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder, Soda
GulleyGulley - #4 Stealth, Iphone 5, Soda
larryM - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder, #4 Stealth
krk - #1, #4, Droid X Holder
Harpo - #3, Iphone 5
MrHyde - #4, Iphone 5, Soda
auto_cran - #2, Soda
mstein95 - #1, Iphone 5
Scotty_b - #4, Soda
Turk22 - #4
rmdinmd - #2, Soda
Pthompson509 - #3, Iphone5, soda
shawn914 - #2
porbmw - #4
melly - #4, Iphone4
wndsnd - galaxy S3, soda
J0n52 914 - #1
ConeDodger - #4, Iphone5, soda

Current Tentative Order List

Dave_Darling
PittsM12
Orthobiz
skeates
siverson
doorknobcollector
warrenoliver
flipb
timothy_nd28
no1uno
mepstein
tornik550
cpttripps
gudhjem
nolift914 (x2)
r_towle
Michael7810
barefoot
ben*james
I will take the 914 ashtray cup holder!

Will take a phone adapter when you get one for the Samsung note 3.

Thanks, I'm pumped!
billh1963
Put me down for a number one ashtray holder, please
naro914
I will take a #4 holder, soda holder and iphone 5 holder (I assume 5 and 5s are the same??)

ChrisFoley
I'll take one of the #1 cupholder
and one of the #4 cupholder please.
jfort
I would like the iPhone holder
warrenoliver
Any pics of #2 and #3?

Warrenoliver
JRust
I'll take a #1 with the pop can holder option & the Samsung s4 mount. My question is will it accommodate the case on the phone? Or will I have to remove the case to use the current setup?
rnellums
QUOTE(jfort @ Nov 5 2013, 10:13 AM) *

The phone mount clips into the ashtray cupholder. Is there a specific model you would prefer (#1 or #4)?
rnellums
QUOTE(warrenoliver @ Nov 5 2013, 10:39 AM) *

Any pics of #2 and #3?

Warrenoliver

Pictures of #2 and #3 will be posted this afternoon.

QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 5 2013, 10:59 AM) *

I'll take a #1 with the pop can holder option & the Samsung s4 mount. My question is will it accommodate the case on the phone? Or will I have to remove the case to use the current setup?

The mount is designed for a phone without the case, so a phone-in-case will likely not fit. If you want a custom size, i can make one using dimensions you send me after the main ashtray cupholder production run is done, but I can't verify the fit will be perfect(there is a lot of tweaking involved to get the fit right).
hcdmueller
I will take a #1 with soda can holder. Is it bad that I don't have a phone, much less a smart phone?
wndsnd
I'm in for a basic #1
Jeffs9146
PM sent

I am in for

1-#1
1-#5

boxsterfan
Awesome. The cupholder problem has been solved.
poorsche914
IPB Image

Has this been road tested? Seems the can would go flying first time you take off or take a turn confused24.gif

Otherwise, awesome product, Ross. cheer.gif

driving.gif
7TPorsh
A video of one of these being printed would be fascinating,
x-faktory
I'll take a #4 stealth version
Steve
I will take the following:
#4 Stealth.. I have a screw on front ash tray
#5 Can adapter
#6 d for an iPhone 5

thanks!!!
DRPHIL914
I'm in for a #4 for my '75(not sure of type, i will check tonight)/
and - phone holder- droid razr maxx- dimensions posted on other thread)
and - water bottle thingy.
Zimms
I am in for a #4
rnellums
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Nov 5 2013, 02:11 PM) *

Has this been road tested? Seems the can would go flying first time you take off or take a turn confused24.gif

Otherwise, awesome product, Ross. cheer.gif

driving.gif

Road testing this tonight, but the picture is misleading. That can is a tall boy. The can sits down in a 2" deep pocket that should hold it pretty well.

-Ross
JRust
QUOTE(rnellums @ Nov 5 2013, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 5 2013, 10:59 AM) *

The mount is designed for a phone without the case, so a phone-in-case will likely not fit. If you want a custom size, i can make one using dimensions you send me after the main ashtray cupholder production run is done, but I can't verify the fit will be perfect(there is a lot of tweaking involved to get the fit right).

No worries! I'll take it as it is. I will want an adjustable one when they become available. Should be much easier for you as you can just carry the one adjustable for all the phones. Thanks for taking this on biggrin.gif . I've got a cup holder now but this will be great piratenanner.gif
peteyd
Hello,

Put me down for a #4 and a #6 for the iphone5

thanks,

Peter
poorsche914
QUOTE(rnellums @ Nov 5 2013, 03:12 PM) *
Road testing this tonight, but the picture is misleading. That can is a tall boy. The can sits down in a 2" deep pocket that should hold it pretty well.

-Ross

Ahh, that explains it smile.gif

driving.gif
zambezi
Put me down for the #2 embossed holder with a #5 soda can insert.
Kaduku
#4 please!
eric9144
#1, soda insert and iPhone insert beerchug.gif
damesandhotrods
She who must be obeyed would like a #2 embossed and a #5 soda insert…
CptTripps
I've got a '75, so let me know when you have them ready.
rnellums
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Nov 6 2013, 01:47 PM) *

#1, soda insert and iPhone insert beerchug.gif

Iphone 4 I assume?

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Nov 6 2013, 03:54 PM) *

I've got a '75, so let me know when you have them ready.

The post 74 stealth cupholder has been designed. I hope to finish testing and tweaking later this week.

-Ross
jfort
QUOTE(rnellums @ Nov 5 2013, 07:00 AM) *

QUOTE(jfort @ Nov 5 2013, 10:13 AM) *

The phone mount clips into the ashtray cupholder. Is there a specific model you would prefer (#1 or #4)?

the stealth one, #4? I am hoping that I can screw on my current ashtray face, which I believe is original 1970.
eric9144
QUOTE(rnellums @ Nov 6 2013, 02:20 PM) *

Iphone 4 I assume?

Yes, sorry for ommitting that part dry.gif
Java2570
Put me down for #4 stealth....these look great, Ross!!
rnellums
Check out this cross section of one of your printed parts! We are using a 10% infill to decrease weight and print time(although still at 9 hours each!), while maintaining strength!

-Ross

Click to view attachment
David Stowers
Hi,
I'd like a #1 and a#5 please plus shipping to the UK
GulleyGulley
I will take a "stealth" holder, iPhone 5 holder & water bottle holder

QUOTE(rnellums @ Nov 4 2013, 11:33 PM) *

Alright everyone! Ray and I are finally happy with the design quality and are planning to begin printing units Tuesday! This thread is going to be the official order thread, and orders will be filled as quickly as possible in the order of posts up here. Payment is preferred through Paypal (I’ll give the email for paypal out in a PM confirming your order) when it is ready to be shipped, but mailed check is also acceptable. Please, no payments until the item is packed and ready to be shipped.
There will be four models available, each priced at $45 shipped. Each model can hold a 32 oz “Big Gulp” comfortably, and excel equally well at holding more traditional 16oz coffee cups. The units will be printed in black ABS plastic, assembled using ABS glue. Each of these designs takes approximately 9 hours to print, allowing us to print two units per day. With the amount of interest in this item some will likely be waiting 30 days+ before delivery. The models are described below:

#1 The 914 Ashtray Cupholder - $45
This model has a printed front face and is intended as a direct slide-in replacement for the stock ashtray.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

#2 The Embossed 914 Ashtray Cupholder - $45 ***Coming Soon
This model is identical to the Ashtray Cupholder above, but front face has the 914 script embossed on it.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
*more photos to come soon

#3 The Engraved 914 Ashtray Cupholder -$45 ***Coming Soon
This model is identical to the Ashtray Cupholder, but the front face has the 914 script engraved on it.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
*more photos to come soon

#4 The Stealth Ashtray Cupholder (Up to 73') -$45
This model re-uses the stock front from the ashtray, making the cupholder indistinguishable from a stock ashtray when closed.
There are differences between ashtrays! See http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=ashtray for more information. I expect that prior to mid-74 the ashtray fronts was held on with screws (100% compatible with stealth design), and after 74 they switched.

Later ashtrays are not compatible with an early style mount. I am in the process of designing a compatible mount for 74 and later ashtrays, and hope to have it available soon.

IMPORTANT: before placing your order, verify that you have either a screw on ashtray front, have access to an ashtray with a screw on front.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

There will also be several accessories available. The list of accessories, along with short descriptions of each are listed below.

#5 Soda-holding Insert -$8
This clips into the ashtray cupholder allowing it to hold a soda can or small water bottle
Click to view attachment

#6 Phone Holder -$15
This accessory clips into any of the ashtray cupholders and rotates to lock in place. I currently have holders for the following phones, but will be continuing to expand the models available.
  • a. Galaxy S4
  • b. Nokia Lumia 920
  • c. Iphone 4
  • d. Iphone 5
Click to view attachment

An anticipated accessory eventually is an adjustable holder, but no design work has been completed on it at this point.

In summary, the prices are as follows:
Any 914 ashtray cupholder - $45
Soda Holder -$8
Phone Mount - $15

Below are some videos of the ashtray in action. These represent the worst case of use for most users, as the test vehicle is a 2.4L typeIV, with the Koni suspension set to full stiff on bumpy roads! I did not go easy on it!

Cup Holder:
http://youtu.be/J3oRbCKoqnk

Phone Mount:
http://youtu.be/lG-zEAxf9WE

Thanks for looking first.gif ! Please PM me for any questions, as I would like to keep this thread strictly for orders!

Current Confirmed Orders *-Local Pickup
Ben*James - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder, Samsung Note 3
Billh1963 - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder
Kansas914* - #4 Stealth Ashtray Cupholder, Samsung Galaxy Note
MojoRisen* - 2 x #4 Stealth Ashtray Cupholder (74+)
Naro914 - #4 Stealth Ashtray Cupholder, Iphone 5, Soda
Racer_Chris - #1 Ashtray Cupholder, #4 Stealth Ashtray Cupholder
1stWorks* - ?, Galaxy Note 2, Soda
Jfort - #4 Stealth, Iphone 5
JRust - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder, Galaxy S4, Soda
hcdmueller - #1 914 AShtray Cupholder, Soda
wndsnd - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder
jeffs9146 - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder, Soda
x-faktory - #4 Stealth
Steve - #4 Stealth, Iphone 5, Soda
Phillip W. - #4 Stealth (74+), Droid Razr Maxx, Soda
Zimms - #4 Stealth
peteyd - #4 Stealth, Iphone 5
Zambezi - #2 Embossed, Soda
914itis - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder,Iphone 5, Soda
Kaduku - #4 Stealth
eric9144 - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder, Iphone 4, Soda
DamesandHotrods - #2 Embossed, Soda
Ellisor3 - #1 914 Ashtray Cupholder, Soda
Java2570 - #4 Stealth
914four - #2 Embossed, Iphone 4

Current Tentative Order List

Pthompson509
Dave_Darling
David Stowers
Mstein95
PittsM12
Orthobiz
skeates
siverson
doorknobcollector
porbmw
warrenoliver
Turk22
flipb
timothy_nd28
no1uno
ConeDodger
mepstein
tornik550
cpttripps
gudhjem
gulleygulley
nolift914 (x2)
r_towle
Harpo
Scotty B
mrhyde
Michael7810
barefoot
larryM
I will buy both a #1 and a #4

please send paypal invoice

Larrym
krk
I love this project. (and, oh, I love 3D printing....)

I'm in for #1, #4 and #6. (I have a droid x -- hopefully it'll work, but I'll work with
what I get smile.gif

PMO works best for me. PM me where to send it smile.gif

--krk.

---
Kim Knuttila
mobile: 408 564 9545
rnellums
QUOTE(krk @ Nov 8 2013, 11:41 PM) *

I love this project. (and, oh, I love 3D printing....)

I'm in for #1, #4 and #6. (I have a droid x -- hopefully it'll work, but I'll work with
what I get smile.gif

PMO works best for me. PM me where to send it smile.gif

--krk.

---
Kim Knuttila
mobile: 408 564 9545

I can definitely design something up that should work, but I'll need good measurements. Do you have a set of calipers? PM me for further discussion! biggrin.gif
Harpo
I would like #3 engraved & #6d iPhone 5

Edited

Change mine to #1 (late) and iphone 5 adapter
Thanks

David
MrHyde
I'll go for 4 , 5, 6d for iPhone 5
Thanks for all the work !
auto_cran
Please put me down for

#2 Embossed, Soda

Like others -thanks for doing this!

Chris
(auto_cran)
rnellums
The first 6 are shipping out!

Ray and I are going to wait until we hear back from the first six customers on how they like the quality before heading into production full swing. It is my hope that these first buyers will post their honest opinions of the product in this thread to provide a customer's perspective on the cupholders.

It is very important to us that people are happy with the product, so I want to be very clear about the level of finish of the 3d-printed parts.

Due to the way the printers work, the top of each part looks like a topographic map, and the build layers are visible. This is a 3d-printed part and looks as such.

Ray and I feel that the resolution/finish of the printer leaves something to be desired(is not that of a production part). That said, for us, the usefulness of the design far outweighs the aesthetic compromises.

I couldn't be more happy with how it works in both my 914's.

-Ross

Click to view attachment
scotty b
put me down for

#4 = stealth
#5 = can holder

Thanks smile.gif
turk22
Ross,

I'm sorry, I didn't firm up my order earlier.

I'll take the stealth model.

Turk
rmdinmd
put me down for a
#2 holder and
soda holder.

great idea.

Rick beer3.gif
David Stowers
How's production going? Any feedback from the first batch yet?
naro914
I got mine on Monday and really like it, though I have not really 'tested' it while driving. I am not bothered at all about the 3D build layers because I got one of the 'stealth' versions so the only time you would see the surface of the part is when its pulled out...and to be honest it looks MUCH better than the old finish of my ash tray anyway!!

To me, the usefulness, quality and value FAR exceed any concerns one would have on the look and feel, which honestly is not bad at all anyway.

Here would be my only comment...you need a fairly large mug/cup to fit in without sliding through. No wimpy 'small' size Starbucks...though I think a pint glass fits nicely... beer3.gif

(Gosh, look at those cracks in the dash!!)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
QUOTE(David Stowers @ Nov 21 2013, 09:39 AM) *

How's production going? Any feedback from the first batch yet?

I got the package last night.

After looking at the product for a few minutes I have to say I was impressed with the engineering/design.

The use of the lap joints/rabbet joints really make for a strong unit. I gave it more than a just little lateral pressure and doesn’t flex.

Aesthetically it is fine. I ordered a black unit and it is true black in color with a uniform color throughout. Since I have seen 3D printing many times before it is exactly what I expected. If anyone is unsure then they should order the “stealth” unit as after the original front is attached it is unnoticed.

The fit in the dash was great – it slid right in with enough of a friction fit to let you know it isn’t sloppy and will stay put. The tab on the rear of the unit is a nice touch to keep the holder from being extended too far. I used an Allen wrench to turn the tab to the locked position (between 7 and 8 O'clock) after the unit was partially inserted. You could at least provide the wrench like the Chinese furniture companies do – just kidding!

I love the product and am now motivated to go to my storage unit and get my spare ashtray unit with the removable front. This will be going in the near Concours Willow green ’72 car that I hope to complete by next Summer.

Thanks a million, I hope this helps – cheers!
ben*james
I love it!

It's not so close to OEM looking that you would mistake it for being factory but it is tastefully done and seems to function very well.

My vote for best new 914 product of the year.

(My balls thank you. No more scolding coffee burns)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.