Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Official 914 Ashtray Cupholder Order Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
rnellums
I'm afraid we have halted production for the moment. Both Ray and I have gotten so busy at work that completing this side project has become a minor priority. I'm sure it will get back going again in the future, but there certainly isn't a delivery time frame for the moment. dry.gif

-Ross
MegoManSF
QUOTE(rnellums @ Apr 8 2014, 02:03 PM) *

I'm afraid we have halted production for the moment. Both Ray and I have gotten so busy at work that completing this side project has become a minor priority. I'm sure it will get back going again in the future, but there certainly isn't a delivery time frame for the moment. dry.gif

-Ross

Darn, do you have any stock of any of the varieties?
75porsche914
If these are still being produced, can I please purchase an all black one, closest to OEM looking for a cup holder/water blt holder please?

If needed I have a couple extra ash-trays.

Don't think it matters but my car is a 75.

Thank you

beerchug.gif
dudzy's914
When will you make the regular ash tray with the embossed "914"?
rnellums
QUOTE(75porsche914 @ Jul 4 2014, 08:16 PM) *

If these are still being produced, can I please purchase an all black one, closest to OEM looking for a cup holder/water blt holder please?

If needed I have a couple extra ash-trays.

Don't think it matters but my car is a 75.

Thank you

beerchug.gif

We are currently in a production hiatus due to a busy spring and summer at work. We may get back into production come fall if or schedules lighten up.

QUOTE(dudzy's914 @ Jul 4 2014, 08:33 PM) *

When will you make the regular ash tray with the embossed "914"?

Ill add you to the list for when it gets going!
76-914
Making one for the Suby converts, too? evilgrin.gif
914socal
Will you guys start production on these ashtrays again?
Hank914
QUOTE(914socal @ Sep 13 2014, 06:45 PM) *

Will you guys start production on these ashtrays again?

agree.gif

I know you got busy with your day jobs, but the other thread showed your high quality workmanship so I'm sure you'll get more people for a bigger production run. I need a cup holder solution! I am afraid the "put-the-hot-java-in-the-crotch-while-I-shift" solution is going to hurt me soon!
rnellums
Well I'm afraid to say the printed cupholders don't look like they'll be coming back, but I think I have arrived at a viable replacement.

Introducing the next ashtray cupholder - out of stainless!
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Model 1:
Uses the stock ashtray front from a 73 or earlier ashtray, looks totally stock when it's pushed into the dash.

In order to get enough throw to fit a cup, the rails on the ashtray mount in the dash must be modified (filed) to be shorter. Does not effect the ability to go back to a stock ashtray in the future.

Model 2:
No modifications to anything. Remove your ashtray and slide in the cupholder, I think it looks better with the face painted black and the background silver personally.

I'm looking for 4-5 people to trial test a few models at a discounted price before I go into full production.

rnellums
In the dash.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bandjoey
Hi Ross. I'm interested in a 914 version. What's the volunteer experimental highly discounted price? Bill. biggrin.gif
Can u post a picture with a cup to see how big a drink cup fits? Thanks
Hank914
I'm interested in the 914 version also. Thanks!
MJHanna
I'll be a guinea pig, I have a 74, I like the model 2 if it matters.

Mark
Amenson
Put me down as a tester also, stock version....or the other whichever is needed more.
sb914
I'm in as well,stock look
rnellums
Excellent! The beta group is closed. I'll send a few pms later today!
914ltd
Wow, I like it. I'll take 2 that use the stock front. Either style since I have lots of ash trays. Brad
LeftCoastErik
I am in for a stock faced one also. Let me know when they are available! Thanks!
A&P Mech
I had the opportunity to see both of the new stainless steel cup holders today. They are very cool. They are a vast improvement over the plastic version. I will be adding one to my car as soon as they become available.

Thanks Ross for working on this!

Ray
bakerj
I wpold love to have one with the plain front.
cary
Cool ................
Harpo
Please sign me up for stainless version #2

Thanks

David
brant
Ross,

put me down for a stock style when they become available.
and let us know what/where to file....

thank you sir
brant
Kansas 914
Hi Ross,

Nice job!

I too am in for a stock style - cheers!
db9146
Ooohh, stainless stock....I'm in!!!
porbmw
Can you put me down for 2 of version 1....and PM me when you are ready to roll, re payment, etc
Thanks
Paul
cdn914
I will take one as well.

Gord
StratPlayer
I'm in
euro911
Nifty item. How much are the 'New & Improved' stainless steel ones gonna cost?

Curious - why aren't you making the plastic ones any more?
john77
I'm in for a stock fronted one when they're available. Thanks.
forrestkhaag
off topic a little but I turned my ashtray facility into a map light fixture that, when pulled out, has the Hella three-position switch therein (from the backpad), allowing the driver or passenger to open the map light tray (ashtray) then to choose to turn on the light / but in any case, in passive mode, it simply illuminates the cab when the doors are opened.....

beerchug.gif

rnellums
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 21 2015, 01:20 PM) *

Nifty item. How much are the 'New & Improved' stainless steel ones gonna cost?

Curious - why aren't you making the plastic ones any more?

The Stainless versions are probably going to land in the $75 ballpark depending on how much time it takes me to tack weld them together.

The plastic ones were a royal PITA for me to assemble (essentially glued together) and I was having some issues with the printed layers separating.

What it came down to was it was a $45 item that cost $50 in my time to make and I wasn't happy with the quality.
bandjoey
Received mine today and it's made out of the left over steel from the Battleship Texas! Solid Stainless and in good taste. When the car is a small coffee can of rusty metal this cupholder will be sticking out of the can.

Pictures tomorrow. piratenanner.gif
Hank914
Pics?

You want some pics?

I Beta tested this thing over the weekend.

Your basic Double Shot Medium Latte

Click to view attachment

Hank914
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Hank914
Click to view attachment
Hank914
Click to view attachment

Yay! Fits the Jumbo Drink from Panda!!!
914socal
I will take a model 2 when they are ready to ship.
keely444
Are these cup holders still available?
rnellums
Sorry to say that these haven’t been made in a while. If someone else has interest in carrying on the projects I would definitely provide the files.
keely444
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jul 14 2019, 05:47 AM) *

Sorry to say that these haven’t been made in a while. If someone else has interest in carrying on the projects I would definitely provide the files.

Really cool idea. Nicely done.
Chi-town
Can you send me the files?

I may have a way to have a few made
FlacaProductions
Not trying to distract from this but presenting as an option - no affiliation - I found this the other day. Just not sure - when attached to the seat rail - if it would be high enough off the floor to be effective. https://shop.autoracingtechnik.com/collecti...-968-cup-holder
Sm914650
Id like to order just the #1 ashtray holder please..!.THankU
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.