Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 901 trannsmission and 1st gear, Did Porsche ever document issues?
PRS914-6
post Nov 15 2013, 09:37 PM
Post #41

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031
Region Association: None

Doc, please read what I wrote....I said I WOULDN'T ask for documentation if it was your OPINION.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 15 2013, 10:59 PM
Post #42

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My point, and I did read what you wrote, is that I am now required to post things as my opinion if I can not provide documentation for things I say? Please read what I wrote.

Also, I am done with this. I have limited time and feel this has become a waste at this point. I feel I am clear, you appear to be clear, and we have thoroughly hijacked this thread for far too long.

Take care.
+Quote Post
post Nov 15 2013, 11:11 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

Interesting read. Here's my take: one person tends to " just " look at the used parts vs one from what I take...measure. I myself tend to "measure" for wear limits that the naked eye will never catch. I'm sure if you ask an well know type 4 engine builder like Jake...if his team just looks at parts to assemble. Well, I'm sure he will not be in business long.
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Nov 15 2013, 11:28 PM
Post #44

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My successes speak for themselves so your supposition holds no water.
+Quote Post
Woody
post Nov 16 2013, 08:25 AM
Post #45

Sandbox Rabblerouser and head toilet scrubber

Member No.: 12,530
Region Association: Southwest Region

Hi guys. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Nov 16 2013, 10:47 AM
Post #46

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

So back to my original question, there is no official service bulletin from Porscge regarding issues with getting into 1st gear?

Sound like there might have been with the stickers that went into owner's manuals.

EIMC'S POST:
"I have been a porsche mechanic since 1968 working for Porsche and Porsche dealers. In 1970 working for Porsche owned shop I was the unit repair person for years. I repaired 914 trany 1st gear problems a couple times a week. All the Porsche zone reps would do R&D at our shop. We were given stickers that went in the owners manuals or on the dash that said complete stop before 1st gear engagement. I still work on some of these 914's today(not many)and none have the stickers on the dash but I always look in the owners manuals (to see if I did the pre delivery inspection) and they are still there. That' all this old fart can tell you Take it or leave it"

Does anybody have a pic of one of those manuals with sticker? And/or the information that came from Porsche regarding that sticker?

If you need to know why it is because I am fighting a big fat donut sucking cop's stop sign ticket. Ridiculously hard to fight in Cali. I know I stopped because my old, unrefurbished, beat on 901 transmission has never been redone and is hard to get into 1st gear when moving without grinding (and I mean g-r-i-n-d-i-n-g). Stupid donut sucking cop didn't even stop me right away. Instead, he tailed me for about a mile afterwards looking to see if he could tally on some other infractions.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 16 2013, 11:06 AM
Post #47

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

I'm old and a fart. I vote we set up a poll to vote. With eimc (Paul?) placing Porsche Stickers in manuals and books form the manufacture to 'not shift into 1st unless at a complete stop' since 1970, he get's my vote. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Actually, this describes my '73. Downshifts are fine but not into first. Once stopped, I can shift into 1st just like new. Moving? grrrrriiinnndd . I know it's old so I baby it and this is my preservation shift method, too
Shift On Great Discussion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
post Nov 16 2013, 02:28 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 16 2013, 08:47 AM) *

So back to my original question, there is no official service bulletin from Porscge regarding issues with getting into 1st gear?

Sound like there might have been with the stickers that went into owner's manuals.

EIMC'S POST:
"I have been a porsche mechanic since 1968 working for Porsche and Porsche dealers. In 1970 working for Porsche owned shop I was the unit repair person for years. I repaired 914 trany 1st gear problems a couple times a week. All the Porsche zone reps would do R&D at our shop. We were given stickers that went in the owners manuals or on the dash that said complete stop before 1st gear engagement. I still work on some of these 914's today(not many)and none have the stickers on the dash but I always look in the owners manuals (to see if I did the pre delivery inspection) and they are still there. That' all this old fart can tell you Take it or leave it"

Does anybody have a pic of one of those manuals with sticker? And/or the information that came from Porsche regarding that sticker?

If you need to know why it is because I am fighting a big fat donut sucking cop's stop sign ticket. Ridiculously hard to fight in Cali. I know I stopped because my old, unrefurbished, beat on 901 transmission has never been redone and is hard to get into 1st gear when moving without grinding (and I mean g-r-i-n-d-i-n-g). Stupid donut sucking cop didn't even stop me right away. Instead, he tailed me for about a mile afterwards looking to see if he could tally on some other infractions.

Today, I stopped of at my high school friends which happens to be a Master Porsche Tech. I asked him some questions relating to 901 / Porsche trans in general.
* can one " shift" into first gear while moving or at a complete stop....response was yes if all the parts are in good conditions. * I also asked if he has ever and or remember see "stickers" advising owners NOT to down shift into FIRST gear....he looked set me like I had been drinking an excessive amount of beer. He mentioned no not to his knowledge , he did mentioned that 1st gear is used to start / get the car going. And back then, most Porsche owners were " drivers" that knew how to drive other makes like MG, Jags etc.
He went on to say that current crop of trans - like your 996, one can down shift into first even at 80 MPH....but don't recommend it as it will cost me a engine rebuild....ya I'm smarter than that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) .
Lastly back to this interesting reading. You have several noted Porsche trans builders like Jon B who rebuilds 901 to 934 type trans and Paul who also seems to think - yes one can down shift into first gear at a roll and or stop.
One comment that was posted was..I've built X amount of trans. Here's my thoughts, if one does not follow 100% of the factory recommendations, I'm sure it will run for awhile?? But does it function 100% like the OP posted. On my last 915 build, I paid some one that had all the factory types of tools and that actually checked all the clearances vs just looking at the used parts and reinstalling them..I don't plan on having to go back in in another 8-10k.
Anyway that's my "acceptance " level ( do it right or don't do it at all)..as 914 owners, most are frugal .....other thought process may differ. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 16 2013, 04:53 PM
Post #49

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I am the second owner of my car. It came with the window sticker and all of the service records and owners manual. There is no sticker in mine.
It isn't unheard of for a car manufacturer to tell people that something that isn't normal is, just to get them to go away. Anyone own a Tahoe or GMC Yukon? GM says that the rod knock you hear on cold start up is normal. Believe it? They didn't have to replace engines if you did...
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Nov 16 2013, 05:36 PM
Post #50

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031
Region Association: None

While numerous things contribute to a good shifting tranny, all the new parts or rebuilding won't help if it's set up wrong and this is the one part I agree with the Doc about the manuals. (not the design or the specs) There are many areas you can improve your build by NOT following the manual. But it is up to you to decide if it is "better"

Here is an example on how I build a 915 (but can be done on the 901). The factory tool to help align the shift forks, I have always felt sucked. But it was a cheap tool for the dealers and works OK. I took a tranny body, cut a hole in the side and I can adjust the shift forks completely assembled and watch the gears go through every shift visually. It is not in the manual to do this way but in my opinion, it is much better. This would be a costly and large tool for the dealers though.

So there are appropriate times that you can "out engineer" the factory manual. Most builders have an arsenal of homemade tools like this.

Attached Image
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 05:12 PM