Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 901 trannsmission and 1st gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
It can be difficult to get into first gear sometimes when coming to a stop. Even if you clutch cable is adjusted properly, the "technology" for the day and age just was what it was (or is what it is in present tense).

Did Porsche or VW ever document the issue officially? For example, releasing a service bulletin that says something like "come to complete stop to get into first gear without crunching the gears"?

Curious... popcorn[1].gif
Rand
Sounds like you might need a new synchro.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 14 2013, 08:22 AM) *

Sounds like you might need a new synchro.

I'm not experiencing a specific problem getting into 1st gear. Actually, i adjusted my clutch cable last weekend after reading here that one common issue with getting into first can be a simple mis-adjustment.

My question is more generic in the terms of did Porsche ever release any information or service bulletiins about it? Or did Car and Driver (or other trade rag) review it and mention it?

monkeyboy
I honestly don't think it was an issue 40 years ago. Plus, it was regular to have a non syncro first gear back then. People were used to it.

I think it's an issue of age and wear at this point.
Steve
You should be able to shift into first from a roll. If you can't it's either a bad synchro or a clutch adjustment. The only thing I have seen from Porsche regarding the trans is the amount of torque it supports. When the engines went above a specific torque they switched to the 915 and then to the G50.
bulitt
Cars back then were designed with "planned obsolescence"- limited useful life, so they would have to be replaced after a certain time. Many American cars rusted badly. The recalls/service bulletins, lemon laws you see today have evolved over the last 40 yrs.
brant
And it's not always a new synchro.
That can be a short sighted label for the slider (not just synchro) that is worn out
JawjaPorsche
I heard if you shift it into second then first, sometimes it is easier. biggrin.gif
Sawfish
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Nov 14 2013, 09:47 AM) *

I heard if you shift it into second then first, sometimes it is easier. biggrin.gif

+1 Above
thelogo
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 14 2013, 08:19 AM) *

It can be difficult to get into first gear sometimes when coming to a stop. Even if you clutch cable is adjusted properly, the "technology" for the day and age just was what it was (or is what it is in present tense).

Did Porsche or VW ever document the issue officially? For example, releasing a service bulletin that says something like "come to complete stop to get into first gear without crunching the gears"?

Curious... popcorn[1].gif

First gear ???? I try not to use it , ever

Just don't find it nessacary in a 914

And when I do use it , up steep hill , exiting my driveway ,,

I never abuse it with fast starts or rapid acceleration
And to be honest I never downshift to any gear other then 5 th to 4 th
I mean what is the point of shifting to 1st when already rolling , just go to 2nd

Dr Evil
It is a known fact that 1st is not supposed to be down shifted into while rolling. It gives you no benefit and wears out expensive parts. If it is grinding, and all external stuff has been done correctly, then you can bet that people had worn out 1st by down shifting into it.
Trekkor
I use a "C" first gear and downshift into it at will!

It's good to 45mph, so downshifting into first at 30 mph is pretty cool on the a/x course.

KT
Dr Evil
a C is not an A which is stock. Once you alter the gearing, the whole reason the factory trained not to down shift into 1st is changed.
Trekkor
I wanted a "D".

KT
Dr Evil
And, this is relevant why? confused24.gif
Trekkor
Because instead of keeping an unusable 1st gear, people should locate and install a "C" or "D" first gear.

I found mine for $100.

KT
Dr Evil
Sure, C and above are plentiful at $100. (that is sarcasm, I have never seen this and you got lucky. Please prove me wrong).
Trekkor
I always get the cool deals!

That's why I have a C-F-Ka-S-X gearbox behind a 2.6 SIX with a 7300 redline.

What's the normal price for a "C" or "D" gear set? $4-500, right?

KT
Trekkor
Back on topic, my 1st gear does not engage consistently at a stand still.
Car needs to be moving.

Why is this?

KT
messix
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Nov 14 2013, 09:02 PM) *

Back on topic, my 1st gear does not engage consistently at a stand still.
Car needs to be moving.

Why is this?

KT

it hates you because you treat it like a cheap whore! lol-2.gif
PRS914-6
I'm sorry but when these discussion come up I shake my head. If Porsche didn't want you to shift into first while moving they wouldn't put a synchro on it.....c'mon guys you don't need to go to second, or any other gear first. If the components are fresh, the teeth sharp and sliders not worn it will slide right in without effort. (if built properly)

If you want to discuss the merits of reducing wear by shifting techniques (avoiding first) that is another discussion not valid here. This is simple mechanics.

The biggest problem is that people want to put in a new synchro and complain that it doesn't shift right but didn't change the shift sleeve and dog teeth. If you change the dog teeth, the synchro and the slider it will shift perfect with a proper clutch system and good bushings. I have stated this many times here, you can't judge a slider by the looks of the teeth. There is internal wear and ramp angles that can not be easily measured. If your 1st through 3rd sleeve is original then change it and look close at the 4/5

Although I have a 915, the design is the same and bulkier. I shift all day long to first at 30/40mph, it doesn't balk and I don't have to stick it in another gear first or pray before shifting. I use it. It shifts as good if not better than my Subaru did and my 901 was the same.

Anyone that has been in my car will vouch.... I don't baby the shifting when I want to play.

So to close my excessive rant....Although not a perfect tranny, if everything is correct, a 901 drives like most any car. If it doesn't something is WRONG. Period. It should not and does not need special shifting training, techniques or snake juice. End of rant. Thank you for reading biggrin.gif

ConeDodger
Ya... I've been in his car. He doesn't baby it. She winces every time he opens the garage! evilgrin.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Nov 15 2013, 01:36 AM) *

I'm sorry but when these discussion come up I shake my head. If Porsche didn't want you to shift into first while moving they wouldn't put a synchro on it.....c'mon guys you don't need to go to second, or any other gear first. If the components are fresh, the teeth sharp and sliders not worn it will slide right in without effort. (if built properly)

If you want to discuss the merits of reducing wear by shifting techniques (avoiding first) that is another discussion not valid here. This is simple mechanics.

The biggest problem is that people want to put in a new synchro and complain that it doesn't shift right but didn't change the shift sleeve and dog teeth. If you change the dog teeth, the synchro and the slider it will shift perfect with a proper clutch system and good bushings. I have stated this many times here, you can't judge a slider by the looks of the teeth. There is internal wear and ramp angles that can not be easily measured. If your 1st through 3rd sleeve is original then change it and look close at the 4/5

Although I have a 915, the design is the same and bulkier. I shift all day long to first at 30/40mph, it doesn't balk and I don't have to stick it in another gear first or pray before shifting. I use it. It shifts as good if not better than my Subaru did and my 901 was the same.

Anyone that has been in my car will vouch.... I don't baby the shifting when I want to play.

So to close my excessive rant....Although not a perfect tranny, if everything is correct, a 901 drives like most any car. If it doesn't something is WRONG. Period. It should not and does not need special shifting training, techniques or snake juice. End of rant. Thank you for reading biggrin.gif

agree.gif

It is reverse you are not to shift into when rolling. That gear is not synchronized.
pcar916
1st gear is not synchronized on the downshift. That's why I added blocks to synchronize mine in both directions. Even then I don't downshift into it unless I'm at the barest minimum of speed. Then I can take it out of gear just fine and it has no problems. Still, a habit from earlier times...

When I'm at a stop, I'll nudge it slightly into 2nd gear until I feel a little resistance, then shift into 1st. There is no need to shift all the way into 2nd. Now, there are two obvious questions, 2nd gear synchro wear and 1st gear dog tooth wear ($!).

1. Over the years I halfway expected that 2nd gear nudge to take a toll on my 2nd gear synchro, but that hasn't happened in 19 years. So I figure it's a non-issue.

2. I'm still using the same 1st gear the car came with and the dog-teeth are just fine... in fact, that's the same synchro. This is the street transaxle we're talking about, but it's been tracked (DE's, and several years of AX'ing) a lot as well. The other two don't see much use.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Nov 15 2013, 09:33 AM) *

1st gear is not synchronized on the downshift. That's why I added blocks to synchronize mine in both directions. Even then I don't downshift into it unless I'm at the barest minimum of speed. Then I can take it out of gear just fine and it has no problems. Still, a habit from earlier times...

Are you saying first is only synchronized when up shifting? How does one up shift into first?
PRS914-6
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Nov 15 2013, 07:33 AM) *

When I'm at a stop, I'll nudge it slightly into 2nd gear until I feel a little resistance, then shift into 1st. There is no need to shift all the way into 2nd. Now, there are two obvious questions, 2nd gear synchro wear and 1st gear dog tooth wear ($!).

1. Over the years I halfway expected that 2nd gear nudge to take a toll on my 2nd gear synchro, but that hasn't happened in 19 years. So I figure it's a non-issue.

2. I'm still using the same 1st gear the car came with and the dog-teeth are just fine... in fact, that's the same synchro. This is the street transaxle we're talking about, but it's been tracked (DE's, and several years of AX'ing) a lot as well. The other two don't see much use.

I don't understand the synchronizing statement either. They don't grind if properly setup on a downshift. Period. One thing that throws a flag up though is " I'll nudge it slightly into 2nd gear until I feel a little resistance" This indicates gear spinning to me and a possible clutch drag. When there is no gear spinning the synchro and bands "relax" and the shift sleeve can slide over them very easily(unless the dog teeth are dull and the shift sleeve is worn and dull too) Yes, once in awhile the teeth hit straight on and requires another try but rare if stuff is not worn. Porsche clearly recognized first gear issues as noted by their changing and updating the inner teeth system so yes, there was some subtle improvements especially to the 915 for first gear.

To be fair about all this, I have a special clutch disk with a marcel spring only on one side. It disengages quickly and easily without need to slide on the input shaft. The cost is a little more wear on the outboard side of the disk but helps fast shifting. Also have a hydraulic clutch so no cable issues. I luckily have no issues as mentioned anywhere in this thread so I know these trannies can be setup to run good (not perfect)
dlestep
There is a reason why reverse and first are locked out of the "racing H" pattern.
1st is for take-off only, after that, it's used to get into the garage.
~
All state side write-ups of the day were about how WIERD the shift pattern
was. "It's wierd, not like our stick shifts."
Because, in America, 5th gear started out as an overdrive.
Hell, GM was still producing some cars with 3 speed stick shifts, in 66 and 67.
Yes, others had 4 speeds.
I think someone at GM, at that time, thought that if its' car had 5 speeds,
it would go off the end of the earth.
In 1967, if I remember correctly, the 911R used a second 5th in 4th position, and
it proved to be a good move, because they lost the original 5th gear during the
endurance attempt that originally was started by the 906. When it failed, they
simply shifted to 4th position and kept going, sustaining 130mph.
~
I love my "racing H" pattern.
Dr Evil
Wow, plenty of anecdotal evidence here. I have confirmed with several factory trained technicians from the old school that it was advertized and supposed to be recommended that you are not to down shift into first for the purposes of stopping/slowing. I dont care what people think they know based on design, blah, blah. Armchair engineering does not replace the fact that the intention and design, as taught to the factory techs, was not to use first as I have stated. Is it possible? Yes. Should you, no. Does problems getting into first tend to indicate need for parts replacement, yes. Will a well built and maintained trans take 1st abuse? Sure. This should not be used as proof that you should do so.

The OP asked about getting into 1st while coming to a stop. That is what I addressed.

Consequently, visual inspection of a slider is plenty adequate and ramp angles do not need to be measured. I have proven this time and again in rebuilds and in my selection of good used parts for such. Practice v supposition.
Dr Evil
Oh, I dont get that synchro statement either. You can not upshift into 1st so adding more bands and blocks means nothing unless done so you can use a 2-5 set of teeth. Why would someone do this intentionally other than for the aforementioned?

confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 15 2013, 11:35 AM) *
You can not upshift into 1st

Sure you can!

I start the car in neutral and upshift into 1st and then go from there ...
biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 15 2013, 02:56 PM) *

Sure you can!

I start the car in neutral and upshift into 1st and then go from there ...
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif tongue.gif
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 15 2013, 12:33 PM) *

Wow, plenty of anecdotal evidence here. I have confirmed with several factory trained technicians from the old school that it was advertized and supposed to be recommended that you are not to down shift into first for the purposes of stopping/slowing. I dont care what people think they know based on design, blah, blah. Armchair engineering does not replace the fact that the intention and design, as taught to the factory techs, was not to use first as I have stated. Is it possible? Yes. Should you, no. Does problems getting into first tend to indicate need for parts replacement, yes. Will a well built and maintained trans take 1st abuse? Sure. This should not be used as proof that you should do so.

The OP asked about getting into 1st while coming to a stop. That is what I addressed.

Consequently, visual inspection of a slider is plenty adequate and ramp angles do not need to be measured. I have proven this time and again in rebuilds and in my selection of good used parts for such. Practice v supposition.

Anecdotal? I'm sorry doc but although I respect you, in my opinion you bring most of this fairytale stuff based on your own opinion and never able to produce a service bulletin, official instructions from Porsche or anything from Porsche accept "hear say" or "your say". You did this on the pinion bearing installation and never produced a single document. I had to post the service manual. You assume I have no experience with transmissions. You should not make such assumptions. My opinion is based on my success from many years of building, not on speculation.

Porsche used this synchro system all the way to the G50. What is that about 20 years of usage? If people couldn't downshift into first, NOBODY would buy a Porsche, the lemon law would be in full swing, there would be recalls and Porsche would never sell another car. Not to be rude, and I apologize, but please, get real.

If you want to tell people this stuff, use old shift sleeves by "looking", tell people not to shift into first, that's OK it's free speech but when you preach it as Porsche law and I adamantly and totally disagree I feel I owe it the group to hear the other side and they can do as they like. The best advice is to have a clutch that works properly. You can avoid wear in any gear if you don't use it.

The OP asked for official documentation and you said "It is a known fact that 1st is not supposed to be down shifted into while rolling. "

Please provide the documentation for your statement of "known fact" that was asked for and not rumor or your opinion. I would like to see the documentation too.

Did you ever think that most of the wear is because you use first in traffic the most and in and out of neutral constantly? Of course it wears the most! It doesn't mean there is a design flaw or you shouldn't use it. The synchro system works the same in first as it does in the rest of the gears. Because first is worn out in 20 years is perfectly logical.

As I said, this is not a conversation of "how" you should shift to limit wear but the mechanical capabilities of the design and should it grind going into first or not. It shouldn't! I'm sure I would agree with you on the topic of shifting techniques to reduce transmission wear. That's pretty simple.
Jon B
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 15 2013, 12:56 PM) *
Sure you can!
I start the car in neutral and upshift into 1st and then go from there ... biggrin.gif

Yes, with car at standstill, from neutral into 1st gear is an upshift.
1st gear synchromesh is designed for both upshift and downshift.

From neutral into 1st, with car at standstill...

Click to view attachment

From 2nd into 1st, with car in motion...

Click to view attachment

Jon B.
Vista, CA
Eric_Shea
That kinda settles that.

Now... try a standard "Dino Juice" lube and see if that makes a difference. I experienced similar issues the OP did with Liquid Moly 75/90. I think some of the newer synthetics are a tad too slippery to allow the syncros to speed up as described above.

Try shifting immediately into first from second as you come to a light. If it goes into gear under those circumstances (the gears don't have time to slow down), you may want to try a standard straight 90w dino lube.

Also... mine was all new inside. It's gotten better with age.
bulitt
QUOTE(dlestep @ Nov 15 2013, 02:25 PM) *

There is a reason why reverse and first are locked out of the "racing H" pattern.
1st is for take-off only, after that, it's used to get into the garage.
~
All state side write-ups of the day were about how WIERD the shift pattern
was. "It's wierd, not like our stick shifts."
Because, in America, 5th gear started out as an overdrive.
Hell, GM was still producing some cars with 3 speed stick shifts, in 66 and 67.
Yes, others had 4 speeds.
I think someone at GM, at that time, thought that if its' car had 5 speeds,
it would go off the end of the earth.
In 1967, if I remember correctly, the 911R used a second 5th in 4th position, and
it proved to be a good move, because they lost the original 5th gear during the
endurance attempt that originally was started by the 906. When it failed, they
simply shifted to 4th position and kept going, sustaining 130mph.
~
I love my "racing H" pattern.

agree.gif My 08 vette had 6 speeds. After a while you are thinking WTF gear am I in? IMHO sometimes more aint better. Cruising along and want to pass on a double lane road, try shifting quickly from 6 to 3rd or to 2nd. good luck.
Dr Evil
[quote name='PRS914-6' date='Nov 15 2013, 03:32 PM' post='1957298']
Anecdotal? I'm sorry doc but although I respect you, in my opinion you bring most of this fairytale stuff based on your own opinion and never able to produce a service bulletin, official instructions from Porsche or anything from Porsche accept "hear say" or "your say".

Well, it is true that I poll those that have been doing this for 40+ years, some are even on here, I do not have a service bulletin for everything and when I get credible info from a credible source, or several credible sources, I try to pass is on so that the community as a whole can benefit. You can not show where my info would or has caused harm. No, I do not have service bulletins for everything. Not only that, I have found the following the book exclusively leaves gaps in ones growth, knowledge, and does not allow for better techniques to be developed and used. I could care less if anyone believes me, I make no money on my advice and offer it for free in order to help. If you want to call it my opinion, or hear say, which kind of sounds like you feel I am making shit up, then that is your prerogative. I dont like it, but it is a free site.

You assume I have no experience with transmissions. You should not make such assumptions. My opinion is based on my success from many years of building, not on speculation.

I make no assumption. I state my experience, much like you do. My experience past what the bulletins state. My experience in over 300 successful rebuilds. What I am stating is not speculation, either. If you feel slighted, I am sorry for that. My intention is to be a help around here. If I see something that I have known to be incorrect in my experience, or in the experience on those that I have learned from that have many years and training, I will state what I know. Acting as if it is heresy without a cited bulletin discounts my experience and the experience of those that have come before me. My work and long line of satisfied and repeat customers speak for themselves.

Porsche used this synchro system all the way to the G50. What is that about 20 years of usage? If people couldn't downshift into first, NOBODY would buy a Porsche[] Not to be rude, and I apologize, but please, get real.

I never said that you COULD NOT down shift into first. Not only that, the 901 is the most anemic of the design. Beefing up, as you alluded to in the 915 (and more forward), negates a lot of this wear. Just because mechanisms are similar in these boxes does not mean they are the same. Telling me to "get real" is rude and not conducive to discourse of discovery. You disagree, that is fine. You have that right. I disagree with you, and for similar reasons such as experience.

If you want to tell people this stuff, use old shift sleeves by "looking", tell people not to shift into first, that's OK it's free speech but when you preach it as Porsche law and I adamantly and totally disagree I feel I owe it the group to hear the other side and they can do as they like.

I cite where my info comes from. If people choose to follow it and trust me because of the help I offer around here, and have done for many years, and the services I provide, then that is understandable. Telling your side is great. Being respectful is a nice thing as well. I am getting sick of all of the A-holish behavior that has been popping up lately when people disagree. I am reflecting this behavior at times and it is not me and I am saddened by this fact. Thus, I disagree with you as I am stating, and respect your experience as it is. Are you preaching Porsche law? Is there no better way than the 40 yr old manual?

The OP asked for official documentation and you said "It is a known fact that 1st is not supposed to be down shifted into while rolling. "

Indeed, I misspoke that it is a "known fact" as you dont know it and I ahve no bulletin so it must only be known by the people I have consulted and myself.

Please provide the documentation for your statement of "known fact" that was asked for and not rumor or your opinion. I would like to see the documentation too.

As stated above. Calling my statement rumor is rude and attempts to devalue a point of view, information and experiences you do not share. That does not mean it is wrong.

Did you ever think that most of the wear is because you use first in traffic the most and in and out of neutral constantly? Of course it wears the most! It doesn't mean there is a design flaw or you shouldn't use it. The synchro system works the same in first as it does in the rest of the gears. Because first is worn out in 20 years is perfectly logical.

In first the ratio is the greatest. This is why the wear is grater than on 5th which is closer to 1:1 ration and low impact on shifting. I am sure you know this, but you asked. First will be abused the most, yes, but you can mitigate this significantly by shifting the way I was told we are supposed to. You argue the validity of that claim, but then you agree with the application of the strategy. Stop and go traffic is hard not to go in and out of first a lot, and it is in slower speeds that this is done so is not my objection. My point is using 1st as a slow down gear.

As I said, this is not a conversation of "how" you should shift to limit wear but the mechanical capabilities of the design and should it grind going into first or not. It shouldn't!

Sure, I dont dispute this

I'm sure I would agree with you on the topic of shifting techniques to reduce transmission wear. That's pretty simple.

Addressed previously

Saying you should do something because of the capabilities of the mechanism is like saying that you can drive around in 1st gear at 50+mph all day long. You can, but you should not.

I am sorry if I seem argumentative. My intention is to discuss, educate, garner things from others, and share. Arguing really yields not of this.
eimc
I have been a porsche mechanic since 1968 working for Porsche and Porsche dealers. In 1970 working for Porsche owned shop I was the unit repair person for years. I repaired 914 trany 1st gear problems a couple times a week. All the Porsche zone reps would do R&D at our shop. We were given stickers that went in the owners manuals or on the dash that said complete stop before 1st gear engagement. I still work on some of these 914's today(not many)and none have the stickers on the dash but I always look in the owners manuals (to see if I did the pre delivery inspection) and they are still there. That' all this old fart can tell you Take it or leave it
Dr Evil
Thanks for chiming in, Paul. Paul is one of my experts that I cite, and an all around great guy.
PRS914-6
Doc, no disrespect intended at all. I would simply suggest in future posts to state "It's my opinion" or "in my experience" rather than "It's a well known fact" or "Porsche changed that" and similar statements that can't be verified except by rumor and are controversial.

I call you on these issues simply because you infer, perhaps unintentionally that there is a hard and fast rule established by Porsche or the Porsche community that I feel is not accurate and although your info is generous, free and appreciated by all, it can be misleading when stated as a fact instead of an opinion.. I wouldn't ask for documentation if it was your opinion. Hope that explains it....

My apologies if that rubs you wrong.
Dr Evil
Then, shall I expect documentation or similar when you make a statement?

I have posted in various placed in my 19596 posts here where I get my info when asked about it. I do not find if fluid, or realistic to have to post disclaimers prior to each post of advice. Such would be cumbersome and ridiculous. Based on my presence here, and my known experience, I have earned the right to state things and not necessarily need to justify them with IMHO or a citation. It is realistic to respond to inquiries with honest answers, but to require disclaimer before every post is to put the assumption forward that if such is not done then everything is heresy.

I do not feel that I will change your mind on this, nor should you expect to change mine for the reasons aforementioned. I do, however, appreciate the fact that you have stated it, everyone can read it and draw their own conclusions, and we are respectfully sharing and disagreeing.
PRS914-6
Doc, please read what I wrote....I said I WOULDN'T ask for documentation if it was your OPINION.
Dr Evil
My point, and I did read what you wrote, is that I am now required to post things as my opinion if I can not provide documentation for things I say? Please read what I wrote.

Also, I am done with this. I have limited time and feel this has become a waste at this point. I feel I am clear, you appear to be clear, and we have thoroughly hijacked this thread for far too long.

Take care.
Interesting read. Here's my take: one person tends to " just " look at the used parts vs one from what I take...measure. I myself tend to "measure" for wear limits that the naked eye will never catch. I'm sure if you ask an well know type 4 engine builder like Jake...if his team just looks at parts to assemble. Well, I'm sure he will not be in business long.
Dr Evil
My successes speak for themselves so your supposition holds no water.
Woody
Hi guys. bye1.gif
boxsterfan
So back to my original question, there is no official service bulletin from Porscge regarding issues with getting into 1st gear?

Sound like there might have been with the stickers that went into owner's manuals.

EIMC'S POST:
"I have been a porsche mechanic since 1968 working for Porsche and Porsche dealers. In 1970 working for Porsche owned shop I was the unit repair person for years. I repaired 914 trany 1st gear problems a couple times a week. All the Porsche zone reps would do R&D at our shop. We were given stickers that went in the owners manuals or on the dash that said complete stop before 1st gear engagement. I still work on some of these 914's today(not many)and none have the stickers on the dash but I always look in the owners manuals (to see if I did the pre delivery inspection) and they are still there. That' all this old fart can tell you Take it or leave it"

Does anybody have a pic of one of those manuals with sticker? And/or the information that came from Porsche regarding that sticker?

If you need to know why it is because I am fighting a big fat donut sucking cop's stop sign ticket. Ridiculously hard to fight in Cali. I know I stopped because my old, unrefurbished, beat on 901 transmission has never been redone and is hard to get into 1st gear when moving without grinding (and I mean g-r-i-n-d-i-n-g). Stupid donut sucking cop didn't even stop me right away. Instead, he tailed me for about a mile afterwards looking to see if he could tally on some other infractions.
bandjoey
I'm old and a fart. I vote we set up a poll to vote. With eimc (Paul?) placing Porsche Stickers in manuals and books form the manufacture to 'not shift into 1st unless at a complete stop' since 1970, he get's my vote. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Actually, this describes my '73. Downshifts are fine but not into first. Once stopped, I can shift into 1st just like new. Moving? grrrrriiinnndd . I know it's old so I baby it and this is my preservation shift method, too
Shift On Great Discussion driving.gif
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 16 2013, 08:47 AM) *

So back to my original question, there is no official service bulletin from Porscge regarding issues with getting into 1st gear?

Sound like there might have been with the stickers that went into owner's manuals.

EIMC'S POST:
"I have been a porsche mechanic since 1968 working for Porsche and Porsche dealers. In 1970 working for Porsche owned shop I was the unit repair person for years. I repaired 914 trany 1st gear problems a couple times a week. All the Porsche zone reps would do R&D at our shop. We were given stickers that went in the owners manuals or on the dash that said complete stop before 1st gear engagement. I still work on some of these 914's today(not many)and none have the stickers on the dash but I always look in the owners manuals (to see if I did the pre delivery inspection) and they are still there. That' all this old fart can tell you Take it or leave it"

Does anybody have a pic of one of those manuals with sticker? And/or the information that came from Porsche regarding that sticker?

If you need to know why it is because I am fighting a big fat donut sucking cop's stop sign ticket. Ridiculously hard to fight in Cali. I know I stopped because my old, unrefurbished, beat on 901 transmission has never been redone and is hard to get into 1st gear when moving without grinding (and I mean g-r-i-n-d-i-n-g). Stupid donut sucking cop didn't even stop me right away. Instead, he tailed me for about a mile afterwards looking to see if he could tally on some other infractions.

Today, I stopped of at my high school friends which happens to be a Master Porsche Tech. I asked him some questions relating to 901 / Porsche trans in general.
* can one " shift" into first gear while moving or at a complete stop....response was yes if all the parts are in good conditions. * I also asked if he has ever and or remember see "stickers" advising owners NOT to down shift into FIRST gear....he looked set me like I had been drinking an excessive amount of beer. He mentioned no not to his knowledge , he did mentioned that 1st gear is used to start / get the car going. And back then, most Porsche owners were " drivers" that knew how to drive other makes like MG, Jags etc.
He went on to say that current crop of trans - like your 996, one can down shift into first even at 80 MPH....but don't recommend it as it will cost me a engine rebuild....ya I'm smarter than that piratenanner.gif .
Lastly back to this interesting reading. You have several noted Porsche trans builders like Jon B who rebuilds 901 to 934 type trans and Paul who also seems to think - yes one can down shift into first gear at a roll and or stop.
One comment that was posted was..I've built X amount of trans. Here's my thoughts, if one does not follow 100% of the factory recommendations, I'm sure it will run for awhile?? But does it function 100% like the OP posted. On my last 915 build, I paid some one that had all the factory types of tools and that actually checked all the clearances vs just looking at the used parts and reinstalling them..I don't plan on having to go back in in another 8-10k.
Anyway that's my "acceptance " level ( do it right or don't do it at all)..as 914 owners, most are frugal .....other thought process may differ. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
I am the second owner of my car. It came with the window sticker and all of the service records and owners manual. There is no sticker in mine.
It isn't unheard of for a car manufacturer to tell people that something that isn't normal is, just to get them to go away. Anyone own a Tahoe or GMC Yukon? GM says that the rod knock you hear on cold start up is normal. Believe it? They didn't have to replace engines if you did...
PRS914-6
While numerous things contribute to a good shifting tranny, all the new parts or rebuilding won't help if it's set up wrong and this is the one part I agree with the Doc about the manuals. (not the design or the specs) There are many areas you can improve your build by NOT following the manual. But it is up to you to decide if it is "better"

Here is an example on how I build a 915 (but can be done on the 901). The factory tool to help align the shift forks, I have always felt sucked. But it was a cheap tool for the dealers and works OK. I took a tranny body, cut a hole in the side and I can adjust the shift forks completely assembled and watch the gears go through every shift visually. It is not in the manual to do this way but in my opinion, it is much better. This would be a costly and large tool for the dealers though.

So there are appropriate times that you can "out engineer" the factory manual. Most builders have an arsenal of homemade tools like this.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.