Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 71 1.7 correct Weber Duals
WestTX914
post Nov 14 2013, 11:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,648
Region Association: None

Hi, All I just got my first 914 after wanting one as long as I can remember. The guy I bought the car fro (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) m put a Holly 2bbl on in place of FI. To say the least I'm quite disappointed in the performance on take off. I was originally a VW guy so I know a 1.7l isn't a rocket ship but this Holley sucks. I'm going to replace the single with a pair of Webers but I don't know what size to use. The car has a fresh motor that has a performance cam the heads are stock and she's got a dual Monza type exhaust. Ultimately the dual Monza will be replaced with a single Bursch single tip. unless otherwise suggested. What would ya'll recommend for performance, drivability, and dependability?? 40, 44, 48 IDA IDF Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can provide. Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 14 2013, 11:55 PM
Post #2

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Maybe comb the classifieds for a F.I. setup.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 14 2013, 11:56 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The "performance cam" won't play well with the stock FI.

Weber 40s or Dell 36es are probably the way to go.

--DD
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Nov 15 2013, 12:42 AM
Post #4

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

QUOTE(WestTX914 @ Nov 14 2013, 09:44 PM) *

Hi, All I just got my first 914 after wanting one as long as I can remember. The guy I bought the car fro (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) m put a Holly 2bbl on in place of FI. To say the least I'm quite disappointed in the performance on take off. I was originally a VW guy so I know a 1.7l isn't a rocket ship but this Holley sucks. I'm going to replace the single with a pair of Webers but I don't know what size to use. The car has a fresh motor that has a performance cam the heads are stock and she's got a dual Monza type exhaust. Ultimately the dual Monza will be replaced with a single Bursch single tip. unless otherwise suggested. What would ya'll recommend for performance, drivability, and dependability?? 40, 44, 48 IDA IDF Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can provide. Mike

Be smart about this , think about what kind if driveability your going for

On off.style power driving, loud and shifty gas mileage= weber 40,s

Better drivabiluty decent mpg and good all around power ,with smoother transition =, Dell's 36 , best of both worlds

Best mileage tunability , quiet , simply , reliable. Modest power gain ,least expensive ,best for street applications,good cold start character , = baby single throat dual webbers , 32:s I think ??????

Best all that stuff listed above combined ,

Stock f.I , aka.divinci work.of art , it does it all and makes it look easy ,
Adjusts to air density and altitude automatically ,

Carbs can never compete imho!!!!

Shout out to the cheapbsob
+Quote Post
thelogo
post Nov 15 2013, 12:51 AM
Post #5

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,572

QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 14 2013, 10:42 PM) *

QUOTE(WestTX914 @ Nov 14 2013, 09:44 PM) *

Be smart about this , think about what kind if driveability your going for

But if the legends are true.about the myth acial,
Bosch.volks waggen rabbit f,I injection system being able to run the 914

Then I think.that's the hot setup myself , but just my 2cents
+Quote Post
WestTX914
post Nov 15 2013, 02:36 AM
Post #6

Thanks for the replies thus far What I've taken from the comments is the original FI would be the best route but otherwise max Web 40's. FI is greek to me so I'm almost positive I'll go with the carbs. I'm figuring $6-700 for the carbs could I replace the FI for the same amount or get an aftermarket System for comparable $$$? I assume 44 or 48's are just to much for the stock engine? I was under the impression tat the original FI was not very reliable but as I said this is my first venture into 914 world? thanks again for all the feedback. Mike
+Quote Post
WestTX914
post Nov 15 2013, 02:36 AM
Post #7

Thanks for the replies thus far What I've taken from the comments is the original FI would be the best route but otherwise max Web 40's. FI is greek to me so I'm almost positive I'll go with the carbs. I'm figuring $6-700 for the carbs could I replace the FI for the same amount or get an aftermarket System for comparable $$$? I assume 44 or 48's are just to much for the stock engine? I was under the impression tat the original FI was not very reliable but as I said this is my first venture into 914 world? thanks again for all the feedback. Mike
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Nov 15 2013, 06:41 AM
Post #8

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

Wouldn't something like a nice pair of Weber 34(36)'s be more appropriate on a 1.7?

I would think 40's are better suited for a 2.0?
+Quote Post
zambezi
post Nov 15 2013, 11:52 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,920

I think the 40's are the small webers. They come in 40, 44,48. The 34 ict's are the single barrel models. Dellorto comes in 36 40 45 and 48. Dellorto 34FRD's are the small single barrels.
+Quote Post
kevin311
post Nov 15 2013, 12:30 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 11,752

There are weber 36 IDFs out there. I have a pair on my car.
They are rare but they're out there.
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Nov 15 2013, 12:46 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(WestTX914 @ Nov 15 2013, 01:36 AM) *

IFF the cam is stock then stock FI is the way to go and should be a lot less then 700 bucks. 1.7 stuff is dirt cheap, probably find the whole system for a couple hundred, but probably budget 400ish as you will probably need to find a correct fuel pump as well. Guessing the sort of person that uses a center mount carb isn't going to change the CAM, so you are probably safe.

Personally, I would get the stock injection and then swap the ECU for megasquirt, but if fuel injection is greek to you then this would be a HUGE step. This would still be easily under 700 bucks and would be the best possible solution if done right. Carbs are a compromise and a step back.

+Quote Post
mrholland2
post Nov 15 2013, 09:42 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 13,531
Region Association: Central California

So, has anyone used two of the "crappy" two barrel progressives, the 32/36's? 32 for good mileage and then the option of kicking in the other throat for scoot. . just asking?
+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 15 2013, 11:39 PM
Post #13

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Nov 15 2013, 08:42 PM) *
So, has anyone used two of the "crappy" two barrel progressives, the 32/36's? 32 for good mileage and then the option of kicking in the other throat for scoot. . just asking?
I'm pretty sure the Holley he has is a progressive 2bbl (Holley/Weber). I've seen Holley straight 2bbl on bugs way back when, but never on a T4.
+Quote Post
WestTX914
post Nov 16 2013, 02:56 AM
Post #14

the guy i bought it from did put a performance am in the motor when he rebuilt it. He went with the Holly because it was cheap and he didn't want the stock FI I think I'm decided on a set of Weber 40's as I imagine these will work well with the cam I know I'll lose some MPG but I really would like to fell a bit more power when I put the pedal down. I looked at the dellorto 36 but for the cost I can get the Weber 40 complete kit with intakes and linkage. I'm certain they will be a huge improvement over this POS Holly it sucks. Thanks and any other thoughts are appreciated. Mike
+Quote Post
type47
post Nov 16 2013, 05:11 AM
Post #15

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(WestTX914 @ Nov 16 2013, 12:56 AM) *

... and any other thoughts are appreciated.

get it running and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) then work on fixing and improving. I think being able to drive your car will encourage you to learn about and improve your car.
+Quote Post
Bulldog9
post Nov 16 2013, 07:57 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 16,283
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Would love a set of Dellorto's on my 2056 build. Where can these be found? I've had no luck and have settled on Weber 40's, but havent bought yet.
+Quote Post
WestTX914
post Nov 16 2013, 05:37 PM
Post #17

Oh she runs great I'm just disappointed in the Holley not to mention Webers look way cooler (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif). she's real sluggish till about 2800rpm then she starts to roll. I guess that worst case scenario if the dual Web's are to much I can always sell them or swap for something different.Mike
+Quote Post
mrholland2
post Nov 17 2013, 01:26 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 13,531
Region Association: Central California

That didn't answer my question

QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 15 2013, 09:39 PM) *

QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Nov 15 2013, 08:42 PM) *
I'm pretty sure the Holley he has is a progressive 2bbl (Holley/Weber). I've seen Holley straight 2bbl on bugs way back when, but never on a T4.

+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 17 2013, 03:59 AM
Post #19

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

Oops - I didn't see the TWO in your question (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I haven't seen anyone do it, but, if two of them were mounted to separate properly designed intake manifolds with a shorter distance to the combustion chamber, they would work much better than the central manifold system typically utilized.
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Nov 17 2013, 10:34 AM
Post #20

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898

I have seen dule holleys on a car and they worked really good. Had a center pull linkage and seemed to me it was a the best use of them I had ever seen.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 07:54 AM