Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 71 1.7 correct Weber Duals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WestTX914
Hi, All I just got my first 914 after wanting one as long as I can remember. The guy I bought the car fro smash.gif m put a Holly 2bbl on in place of FI. To say the least I'm quite disappointed in the performance on take off. I was originally a VW guy so I know a 1.7l isn't a rocket ship but this Holley sucks. I'm going to replace the single with a pair of Webers but I don't know what size to use. The car has a fresh motor that has a performance cam the heads are stock and she's got a dual Monza type exhaust. Ultimately the dual Monza will be replaced with a single Bursch single tip. unless otherwise suggested. What would ya'll recommend for performance, drivability, and dependability?? 40, 44, 48 IDA IDF Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can provide. Mike
rick 918-S
welcome.png Maybe comb the classifieds for a F.I. setup.
Dave_Darling
The "performance cam" won't play well with the stock FI.

Weber 40s or Dell 36es are probably the way to go.

--DD
thelogo
QUOTE(WestTX914 @ Nov 14 2013, 09:44 PM) *

Hi, All I just got my first 914 after wanting one as long as I can remember. The guy I bought the car fro smash.gif m put a Holly 2bbl on in place of FI. To say the least I'm quite disappointed in the performance on take off. I was originally a VW guy so I know a 1.7l isn't a rocket ship but this Holley sucks. I'm going to replace the single with a pair of Webers but I don't know what size to use. The car has a fresh motor that has a performance cam the heads are stock and she's got a dual Monza type exhaust. Ultimately the dual Monza will be replaced with a single Bursch single tip. unless otherwise suggested. What would ya'll recommend for performance, drivability, and dependability?? 40, 44, 48 IDA IDF Thanks in advance for any help ya'll can provide. Mike

Be smart about this , think about what kind if driveability your going for

On off.style power driving, loud and shifty gas mileage= weber 40,s

Better drivabiluty decent mpg and good all around power ,with smoother transition =, Dell's 36 , best of both worlds

Best mileage tunability , quiet , simply , reliable. Modest power gain ,least expensive ,best for street applications,good cold start character , = baby single throat dual webbers , 32:s I think ??????

Best all that stuff listed above combined ,

Stock f.I , aka.divinci work.of art , it does it all and makes it look easy ,
Adjusts to air density and altitude automatically ,

Carbs can never compete imho!!!!

Shout out to the cheapbsob
thelogo
QUOTE(thelogo @ Nov 14 2013, 10:42 PM) *

QUOTE(WestTX914 @ Nov 14 2013, 09:44 PM) *

Be smart about this , think about what kind if driveability your going for

But if the legends are true.about the myth acial,
Bosch.volks waggen rabbit f,I injection system being able to run the 914

Then I think.that's the hot setup myself , but just my 2cents
WestTX914
Thanks for the replies thus far What I've taken from the comments is the original FI would be the best route but otherwise max Web 40's. FI is greek to me so I'm almost positive I'll go with the carbs. I'm figuring $6-700 for the carbs could I replace the FI for the same amount or get an aftermarket System for comparable $$$? I assume 44 or 48's are just to much for the stock engine? I was under the impression tat the original FI was not very reliable but as I said this is my first venture into 914 world? thanks again for all the feedback. Mike
WestTX914
Thanks for the replies thus far What I've taken from the comments is the original FI would be the best route but otherwise max Web 40's. FI is greek to me so I'm almost positive I'll go with the carbs. I'm figuring $6-700 for the carbs could I replace the FI for the same amount or get an aftermarket System for comparable $$$? I assume 44 or 48's are just to much for the stock engine? I was under the impression tat the original FI was not very reliable but as I said this is my first venture into 914 world? thanks again for all the feedback. Mike
billh1963
Wouldn't something like a nice pair of Weber 34(36)'s be more appropriate on a 1.7?

I would think 40's are better suited for a 2.0?
zambezi
I think the 40's are the small webers. They come in 40, 44,48. The 34 ict's are the single barrel models. Dellorto comes in 36 40 45 and 48. Dellorto 34FRD's are the small single barrels.
kevin311
There are weber 36 IDFs out there. I have a pair on my car.
They are rare but they're out there.
JamesM
QUOTE(WestTX914 @ Nov 15 2013, 01:36 AM) *

IFF the cam is stock then stock FI is the way to go and should be a lot less then 700 bucks. 1.7 stuff is dirt cheap, probably find the whole system for a couple hundred, but probably budget 400ish as you will probably need to find a correct fuel pump as well. Guessing the sort of person that uses a center mount carb isn't going to change the CAM, so you are probably safe.

Personally, I would get the stock injection and then swap the ECU for megasquirt, but if fuel injection is greek to you then this would be a HUGE step. This would still be easily under 700 bucks and would be the best possible solution if done right. Carbs are a compromise and a step back.

mrholland2
So, has anyone used two of the "crappy" two barrel progressives, the 32/36's? 32 for good mileage and then the option of kicking in the other throat for scoot. . just asking?
euro911
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Nov 15 2013, 08:42 PM) *
So, has anyone used two of the "crappy" two barrel progressives, the 32/36's? 32 for good mileage and then the option of kicking in the other throat for scoot. . just asking?
I'm pretty sure the Holley he has is a progressive 2bbl (Holley/Weber). I've seen Holley straight 2bbl on bugs way back when, but never on a T4.
WestTX914
the guy i bought it from did put a performance am in the motor when he rebuilt it. He went with the Holly because it was cheap and he didn't want the stock FI I think I'm decided on a set of Weber 40's as I imagine these will work well with the cam I know I'll lose some MPG but I really would like to fell a bit more power when I put the pedal down. I looked at the dellorto 36 but for the cost I can get the Weber 40 complete kit with intakes and linkage. I'm certain they will be a huge improvement over this POS Holly it sucks. Thanks and any other thoughts are appreciated. Mike
type47
QUOTE(WestTX914 @ Nov 16 2013, 12:56 AM) *

... and any other thoughts are appreciated.

get it running and driving.gif then work on fixing and improving. I think being able to drive your car will encourage you to learn about and improve your car.
Bulldog9
Would love a set of Dellorto's on my 2056 build. Where can these be found? I've had no luck and have settled on Weber 40's, but havent bought yet.
WestTX914
Oh she runs great I'm just disappointed in the Holley not to mention Webers look way cooler evilgrin.gif. she's real sluggish till about 2800rpm then she starts to roll. I guess that worst case scenario if the dual Web's are to much I can always sell them or swap for something different.Mike
mrholland2

That didn't answer my question

QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 15 2013, 09:39 PM) *

QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Nov 15 2013, 08:42 PM) *
I'm pretty sure the Holley he has is a progressive 2bbl (Holley/Weber). I've seen Holley straight 2bbl on bugs way back when, but never on a T4.

euro911
Oops - I didn't see the TWO in your question blink.gif

I haven't seen anyone do it, but, if two of them were mounted to separate properly designed intake manifolds with a shorter distance to the combustion chamber, they would work much better than the central manifold system typically utilized.
JoeSharp
I have seen dule holleys on a car and they worked really good. Had a center pull linkage and seemed to me it was a the best use of them I had ever seen.
mrholland2

Hrmm. . this might be an interesting thing to try since I can probably get the second progressive weber CHEAP on here

QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 17 2013, 01:59 AM) *

Oops - I didn't see the TWO in your question blink.gif

I haven't seen anyone do it, but, if two of them were mounted to separate properly designed intake manifolds with a shorter distance to the combustion chamber, they would work much better than the central manifold system typically utilized.

Dave_Darling
I have heard of it being done, and I think I have even seen pics of a manifold set up for two proggies. It was a scan of someone's ad for the setup from a magazine from the 70s or 80s, I believe.

--DD
rhodyguy
ferg had a car with dual progressives on it. i think they worked well for him. the dual intakes made all the dif in the world.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 18 2013, 07:54 AM) *

I have heard of it being done, and I think I have even seen pics of a manifold set up for two proggies. It was a scan of someone's ad for the setup from a magazine from the 70s or 80s, I believe.

Yup, it was a dune buggy thing back in the day of the original Manx and Tow'd. Call CB Performance (Claude's Buggies) and ask, I'm sure there's someone still around who can give you info. Heck, they might even still have some. Back then you could buy cams, build a big "dual" exhaust and port your own heads, but we didn't have the manifolds, linkage, or quite frankly the cash to buy expensive sets of imported Eye-talian carburetors, so dual progressives made sense.

They could run well, but generally their problem was tunability. Jet selection was limited (you had to solder and drill), you couldn't adjust the accelerator pump, the venturis were fixed so no adjustment, the transition from one to two wasn't ever quite right, and they didn't really atomize very well. When the Solexes, then Weber DCNF's and IDF's came on the scene you could adjust them for any engine so they ran ten times better, and dual progressives quickly disappeared. They are cheap, though, that hasn't changed.

euro911
You'll need to find or fab a couple of intake adapters because of the choke plate arrangement in the HW carbs.

With one being the primary and the other only a secondary, you need a beveled funnel to combine flow from the two chokes (basically, mini plenums) and then to distribute the flow into a dual port intake.

Here's a quick sketch of what I remember the adapter looked like for a stock single port VW 1600 intake manifold.

Click to view attachment
stugray
I have a complete 1.8L FI setup and a stock cam in good condition I would sell for less than new dual webers. (unless you count the pair that sold for $50 a few months ago blink.gif)

If you are good enough with a wrench to break the motor all the way down to replace the cam cheer.gif

Or a 2.0L FI setup for a little more.
mrholland2
I'm talkin dual Weber progressives not dual Holley progressives

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Nov 18 2013, 08:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 18 2013, 07:54 AM) *

Yup, it was a dune buggy thing back in the day of the original Manx and Tow'd. Call CB Performance (Claude's Buggies) and ask, I'm sure there's someone still around who can give you info. Heck, they might even still have some. Back then you could buy cams, build a big "dual" exhaust and port your own heads, but we didn't have the manifolds, linkage, or quite frankly the cash to buy expensive sets of imported Eye-talian carburetors, so dual progressives made sense.

They could run well, but generally their problem was tunability. Jet selection was limited (you had to solder and drill), you couldn't adjust the accelerator pump, the venturis were fixed so no adjustment, the transition from one to two wasn't ever quite right, and they didn't really atomize very well. When the Solexes, then Weber DCNF's and IDF's came on the scene you could adjust them for any engine so they ran ten times better, and dual progressives quickly disappeared. They are cheap, though, that hasn't changed.

euro911
They were a collaborative effort - Holley/Weber progressive 2 bbl (as opposed to the Holley synchronous 2 bbl carbs). You could find the H/W progressives with Holley, Weber and Autolite names on them. The one I stuck on a VW bus came off of a 76 Capri 2600 V6 and had Autolite markings.

I'm guessing the Holley Weber you're referring to looks like this?

Click to view attachment laugh.gif

Oops, I mean this:

Click to view attachment

Here's some info from TunaCan:

"Dual two-barrels, progressive opening: Although this is not an option currently available, I felt I had to share this find with everyone. It seems back in the '70s and early '80s, there was a dual progressive carb kit offered for the Type 4 engine. I actually found these manifolds at wrecking yard, but missed the opportunity to buy them. I later found this advertisement in an old isssue of HotVWs. I don't know why they stopped marketing it: it could have been that demand wasn't high enough, carb supply was low, or they could have been difficult to tune. This is all I know about this conversion and rest assure, if I do learn more, I will post it here."

Click to view attachment

Don't know if Beck Enterprises is still around, but the phone prefix for Gardena is now 562 confused24.gif
DBCooper
That's it. I don't think I ever saw the T4 version, but that's the kit. You could get them with either Weber or Holly stamps, the Weber's were cooler. I'm not positive, but I think that was Chuck Beck's earlier life. He moved up later to import the Porsche 550 and other replicars from Brasil.

arkitect
Interesting info, I have a progressive carb now and it won't idle I have to keep my foot in it to keep it going.

Dave
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(euro911 @ Nov 19 2013, 04:18 AM) *

I'm guessing the Holley Weber you're referring to looks like this?

Yowza, that's a nicer Holley or Weber than I've seen quite a long time - AND she works at my company, DigitalGlobe!

...oh wait, I'm married now. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.