Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3.2 sensors going bad this soon?
buck toenges
post Nov 24 2013, 01:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,388
Region Association: None

So I have had problems in the past with my 3.2 going through speed and reference sensors. I don't drive the car very often. I put less then 1k miles a year on the car. Today I was rearranging my garage for winter and needed to move the 914 and it wouldn't start. I just put in new sensors this spring. Is there any info out there that maybe my wiring is not right and some how the sensors get fried?
I am not worried about the dme relay, just wanted to know if the sensors can be fried by some electrical gremlin.
Thanks,
Buck
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Nov 24 2013, 02:27 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(buck toenges @ Nov 24 2013, 11:19 AM) *

So I have had problems in the past with my 3.2 going through speed and reference sensors. I don't drive the car very often. I put less then 1k miles a year on the car. Today I was rearranging my garage for winter and needed to move the 914 and it wouldn't start. I just put in new sensors this spring. Is there any info out there that maybe my wiring is not right and some how the sensors get fried?
I am not worried about the dme relay, just wanted to know if the sensors can be fried by some electrical gremlin.
Thanks,
Buck

In all the years I've worked on Moronic cars, I think I've replaced one 911 CHT and maybe 8-10 (2 per car) 944/BMW crankshaft position/reference sensors. That number excludes Late VWs, where those things fail with astonishing regularity. MOST, if not all of the Porsche and BMW crank sensors failed because of mechanical (operator/tech error) rather than electrical failures. BMWs eat camchaft position sensors, but they don't fall into the category that you're concerned with.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 24 2013, 02:58 PM
Post #3

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

You can ohm test the speed sensors.

CHT is a possibly culprit, but that can also be tested.
The plug is flaky for the Cht, so that might be faulty.

DME relay is the killer...
+Quote Post
brp986s
post Nov 24 2013, 03:11 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 8,167

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 24 2013, 12:27 PM) *

In all the years I've worked on Moronic cars,
The Cap'n

Moronic or motronic (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) . I think those sensors are pretty rugged. I had a couple that looked like got dragged on the road behind the car and still worked. But to confirm should be easy with a voltmeter. I don't have my manuals handy, but for sure there has to be continuity across the terminals. And I would think a decent meter would be able to detect a pulse when cranking the engine.

Fair chance the injectors are stuck. You may end up having to endure driving your 914-6 more frequently
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 11:51 AM