Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What wheels and fender flares are these?
finchmunoz
post Nov 25 2013, 02:37 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,272
Region Association: None

Hi...

Need help on identifying the wheel size (diameter, width offset) of this.

And what fender flares these are these? Are these fiber glass flares or steel?

Appreciate your inputs. Been looking around the net and cannot seem to find a write-up on this 914.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JoeSharp
post Nov 25 2013, 05:11 AM
Post #2

In Irvine, Ca. May 15-18

Member No.: 898
Region Association: South East States

Where is Wolfgang when you need him? I'm sure he knows. Check this out, someone in the Philippines needing and answer from someone in Europe on an American board. We truly are International.
+Quote Post
'73-914kid
post Nov 25 2013, 09:59 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,714
Region Association: Southern California

I'm almost positive those are steel GT flairs, and those look like 16x7 911 offset Fuchs..
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 25 2013, 10:12 AM
Post #4

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

That picture looks familiar. I remember it because of the house. I recall the story was, that that is a real six and it belonged to a guy who's kid wrecked it when he went away for the weekend.

Bakit mo tinatanong? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I would also guess they are steel flares but if it is the real six I'm thinking of, they are more likely 15X7 or 8?

+Quote Post
pdlightning
post Nov 25 2013, 01:33 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,660

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2013, 09:12 AM) *

That picture looks familiar. I remember it because of the house. I recall the story was, that that is a real six and it belonged to a guy who's kid wrecked it when he went away for the weekend.

I would also guess they are steel flares but if it is the real six I'm thinking of, they are more likely 15X7 or 8?

Could be 15s or 16s, but look like 7 and 8 or 8 1/2 rear ,standard Porsche offsets. But with this "quality" picture I can't tell for sure! Looks like steel to me too.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Nov 25 2013, 01:38 PM
Post #6

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

steel, pretty sure they are 16x8's as well

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 25 2013, 02:55 PM
Post #7

Apex killer!

This is mine with 16X8.5 custom built RSR finish Fuchs. I have barely enough room to fit a little finger between the tire and the flare and that is with the flare modified to allow it.

I don't know if it's the angle but those wheels look narrower in the back. Looks like more room between the tire and the flare. 15X7? Look how much of my 16" tire gets buried up under the flare compared to this car.

I agree on steel though. Too nicely finished to be fiberglass. In fact, given that it has a Euro plate, probably a factory flare and not a reproduction.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Nov 25 2013, 08:13 PM
Post #8

Twodollardoug

Member No.: 12,492

conedodger could you give us more information on your wheels? who made them, specs, offsets, tire choice, spacers added. i am after the same look.
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Nov 25 2013, 08:34 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2013, 12:55 PM) *

This is mine with 16X8.5 custom built RSR finish Fuchs. I have barely enough room to fit a little finger between the tire and the flare and that is with the flare modified to allow it.

I don't know if it's the angle but those wheels look narrower in the back. Looks like more room between the tire and the flare. 15X7? Look how much of my 16" tire gets buried up under the flare compared to this car.

I agree on steel though. Too nicely finished to be fiberglass. In fact, given that it has a Euro plate, probably a factory flare and not a reproduction.

Dude that's sick..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) in a cool way.
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Nov 25 2013, 08:38 PM
Post #10

Drive Fast and Take Chances

Member No.: 12,156

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2013, 11:12 AM) *

You're correct Rob! That was an original M471 car. It resided in Cleveland. To the best of my knowledge this car was or is being restored.

Thomas
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Nov 25 2013, 08:47 PM
Post #11

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

I am pretty certain that they are 16x8 out back and 16x7 on the front, both 911 offset. I have a set of 951 7s and 8s and a pair of 911 7s, and none of mine have the offset of those rear puppies.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 25 2013, 10:28 PM
Post #12

Apex killer!

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Nov 25 2013, 06:13 PM) *

conedodger could you give us more information on your wheels? who made them, specs, offsets, tire choice, spacers added. i am after the same look.

The front wheels are 16X7 911 offset and are not modified. The rears are 16X8.5 made from 4 - 16X6 911 offset wheels. They were made by Harvey Weidman in Oroville CA. I have spacers for the front but don't use them in performance situations.

Harvey is making me a second set of street wheels in full polish with painted crest centers.

If you like it in that shot, you should see it now that it's painted (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 25 2013, 10:29 PM
Post #13

Apex killer!

QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 25 2013, 06:34 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2013, 12:55 PM) *

Dude that's sick..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) in a cool way.

Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 25 2013, 10:37 PM
Post #14

Apex killer!

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Nov 25 2013, 06:38 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2013, 11:12 AM) *

You're correct Rob! That was an original M471 car. It resided in Cleveland. To the best of my knowledge this car was or is being restored.

Thomas

Wow... I'd like to think I would be family first but if my kid wrecked a real M471? A hole in the desert might be the result (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
finchmunoz
post Nov 26 2013, 12:52 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Nov 25 2013, 03:11 AM) *

Where is Wolfgang when you need him? I'm sure he knows. Check this out, someone in the Philippines needing and answer from someone in Europe on an American board. We truly are International.

Yup. International indeed. . I'm not sure if there are others from the Philippines here but I do know there are just about 10 914s here. . . Only 4 are road worthy (i have one of them) 3 rust buckets (I have 1/4 of one of the rusties) and the rest require ground-up restoration.

So yeah, this is a lonely place for 914s. I need the correct info so I don't make a mistake when I order my wheels and flares. Not seeing these cars in actual is risky given my distance.

My 71 914 will undergo a full resto in April and this is the set-up I'm planning to go with. . .
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 26 2013, 01:08 AM
Post #16

Apex killer!

I just got back from the Philippines in June. I had a hard time imagining while I was there that a 914 could be found anywhere.

Where in Manilla are you? Not a lot of room in most places for two or more cars...
+Quote Post
finchmunoz
post Nov 26 2013, 01:32 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2013, 11:08 PM) *

I just got back from the Philippines in June. I had a hard time imagining while I was there that a 914 could be found anywhere.

Where in Manilla are you? Not a lot of room in most places for two or more cars...

Down south of Manila. Place called Paranaque. Its a subdivision I live in so quite enough room where I am. . . Manila proper you'd be lucky to get a regular parking slot for your daily driver.

Picture of my car
Attached Image.

A US version 71 with a 2250cc engine, C55 cam, 46x38 valves, 9.5 c/r, dual 44mm webers IDFs, 911 fan setup . . . She's a hi revving gas guzzler. . . But I ain't complaining. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Where in Manila did you stay? What did you do here?
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 26 2013, 01:36 AM
Post #18

Apex killer!

Well, I suppose we should get to your questions then. The flares on that car are factory GT flares. While I suppose they exist uninstalled, they would be very expensive if you could find them for sale. The reproductions though, are very accurate, and about 30000p + shipping. Installation at a good experienced shop runs 85000 - 125000p. ($ converted to pesos for your convenience)

I can help with the wheels if you want them restored here. Harvey and his brother Al are friends and I owe them a visit. Harvey does wheels for Porsches all over the world. Not counting the actual purchase of the wheels, restoration would probably run about 65000p.

I truly believe the wheels on the green car are 15" wheels. No one would devalue a real M471 with non-original wheels. But as you can see, 16" wheels look very good. The16X7's can be had in restorable condition for about 8500p each. The 16X8" wheels get pricey though. Donald Russell has a set I believe he bought to resell, but I have no clue what he might be asking.

Feel free to PM me if you need help at this end..

Magandang swerte!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 26 2013, 01:40 AM
Post #19

Apex killer!

Married to a filipina from Batangas. Stayed in Fort Bonafacia for two weeks and Punta Fuega for a week.

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 26 2013, 01:19 PM
Post #20

Apex killer!

Off forum in a PM, Finch asked a question that I can't answer specifically. My front wheels are 16X7 911 offset. I have no problem hitting the inner fender. I do have spacers which I haven't used yet. He is wondering just how large a wheel he can put on without having problems with lock-to-lock turning?

Here is my front end. As you can see, I have lots of room with the 16X7.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:21 PM