Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What wheels and fender flares are these?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
finchmunoz
Hi...

Need help on identifying the wheel size (diameter, width offset) of this.

And what fender flares these are these? Are these fiber glass flares or steel?

Appreciate your inputs. Been looking around the net and cannot seem to find a write-up on this 914.

Click to view attachment
JoeSharp
Where is Wolfgang when you need him? I'm sure he knows. Check this out, someone in the Philippines needing and answer from someone in Europe on an American board. We truly are International.
'73-914kid
I'm almost positive those are steel GT flairs, and those look like 16x7 911 offset Fuchs..
ConeDodger
That picture looks familiar. I remember it because of the house. I recall the story was, that that is a real six and it belonged to a guy who's kid wrecked it when he went away for the weekend.

Bakit mo tinatanong? confused24.gif

I would also guess they are steel flares but if it is the real six I'm thinking of, they are more likely 15X7 or 8?

pdlightning
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2013, 09:12 AM) *

That picture looks familiar. I remember it because of the house. I recall the story was, that that is a real six and it belonged to a guy who's kid wrecked it when he went away for the weekend.

I would also guess they are steel flares but if it is the real six I'm thinking of, they are more likely 15X7 or 8?

Could be 15s or 16s, but look like 7 and 8 or 8 1/2 rear ,standard Porsche offsets. But with this "quality" picture I can't tell for sure! Looks like steel to me too.
scotty b
steel, pretty sure they are 16x8's as well
ConeDodger
This is mine with 16X8.5 custom built RSR finish Fuchs. I have barely enough room to fit a little finger between the tire and the flare and that is with the flare modified to allow it.

I don't know if it's the angle but those wheels look narrower in the back. Looks like more room between the tire and the flare. 15X7? Look how much of my 16" tire gets buried up under the flare compared to this car.

I agree on steel though. Too nicely finished to be fiberglass. In fact, given that it has a Euro plate, probably a factory flare and not a reproduction.
mrbubblehead
conedodger could you give us more information on your wheels? who made them, specs, offsets, tire choice, spacers added. i am after the same look.
oldschool
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2013, 12:55 PM) *

This is mine with 16X8.5 custom built RSR finish Fuchs. I have barely enough room to fit a little finger between the tire and the flare and that is with the flare modified to allow it.

I don't know if it's the angle but those wheels look narrower in the back. Looks like more room between the tire and the flare. 15X7? Look how much of my 16" tire gets buried up under the flare compared to this car.

I agree on steel though. Too nicely finished to be fiberglass. In fact, given that it has a Euro plate, probably a factory flare and not a reproduction.

Dude that's sick..... laugh.gif in a cool way.
tscrihfield
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2013, 11:12 AM) *

You're correct Rob! That was an original M471 car. It resided in Cleveland. To the best of my knowledge this car was or is being restored.

Thomas
bigkensteele
I am pretty certain that they are 16x8 out back and 16x7 on the front, both 911 offset. I have a set of 951 7s and 8s and a pair of 911 7s, and none of mine have the offset of those rear puppies.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Nov 25 2013, 06:13 PM) *

conedodger could you give us more information on your wheels? who made them, specs, offsets, tire choice, spacers added. i am after the same look.

The front wheels are 16X7 911 offset and are not modified. The rears are 16X8.5 made from 4 - 16X6 911 offset wheels. They were made by Harvey Weidman in Oroville CA. I have spacers for the front but don't use them in performance situations.

Harvey is making me a second set of street wheels in full polish with painted crest centers.

If you like it in that shot, you should see it now that it's painted biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(oldschool @ Nov 25 2013, 06:34 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2013, 12:55 PM) *

Dude that's sick..... laugh.gif in a cool way.

Thanks evilgrin.gif agree.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Nov 25 2013, 06:38 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2013, 11:12 AM) *

You're correct Rob! That was an original M471 car. It resided in Cleveland. To the best of my knowledge this car was or is being restored.

Thomas

Wow... I'd like to think I would be family first but if my kid wrecked a real M471? A hole in the desert might be the result mad.gif
finchmunoz
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Nov 25 2013, 03:11 AM) *

Where is Wolfgang when you need him? I'm sure he knows. Check this out, someone in the Philippines needing and answer from someone in Europe on an American board. We truly are International.

Yup. International indeed. . I'm not sure if there are others from the Philippines here but I do know there are just about 10 914s here. . . Only 4 are road worthy (i have one of them) 3 rust buckets (I have 1/4 of one of the rusties) and the rest require ground-up restoration.

So yeah, this is a lonely place for 914s. I need the correct info so I don't make a mistake when I order my wheels and flares. Not seeing these cars in actual is risky given my distance.

My 71 914 will undergo a full resto in April and this is the set-up I'm planning to go with. . .
ConeDodger
I just got back from the Philippines in June. I had a hard time imagining while I was there that a 914 could be found anywhere.

Where in Manilla are you? Not a lot of room in most places for two or more cars...
finchmunoz
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2013, 11:08 PM) *

I just got back from the Philippines in June. I had a hard time imagining while I was there that a 914 could be found anywhere.

Where in Manilla are you? Not a lot of room in most places for two or more cars...

Down south of Manila. Place called Paranaque. Its a subdivision I live in so quite enough room where I am. . . Manila proper you'd be lucky to get a regular parking slot for your daily driver.

Picture of my car
Click to view attachment.

A US version 71 with a 2250cc engine, C55 cam, 46x38 valves, 9.5 c/r, dual 44mm webers IDFs, 911 fan setup . . . She's a hi revving gas guzzler. . . But I ain't complaining. shades.gif

Where in Manila did you stay? What did you do here?
ConeDodger
Well, I suppose we should get to your questions then. The flares on that car are factory GT flares. While I suppose they exist uninstalled, they would be very expensive if you could find them for sale. The reproductions though, are very accurate, and about 30000p + shipping. Installation at a good experienced shop runs 85000 - 125000p. ($ converted to pesos for your convenience)

I can help with the wheels if you want them restored here. Harvey and his brother Al are friends and I owe them a visit. Harvey does wheels for Porsches all over the world. Not counting the actual purchase of the wheels, restoration would probably run about 65000p.

I truly believe the wheels on the green car are 15" wheels. No one would devalue a real M471 with non-original wheels. But as you can see, 16" wheels look very good. The16X7's can be had in restorable condition for about 8500p each. The 16X8" wheels get pricey though. Donald Russell has a set I believe he bought to resell, but I have no clue what he might be asking.

Feel free to PM me if you need help at this end..

Magandang swerte!
ConeDodger
Married to a filipina from Batangas. Stayed in Fort Bonafacia for two weeks and Punta Fuega for a week.

ConeDodger
Off forum in a PM, Finch asked a question that I can't answer specifically. My front wheels are 16X7 911 offset. I have no problem hitting the inner fender. I do have spacers which I haven't used yet. He is wondering just how large a wheel he can put on without having problems with lock-to-lock turning?

Here is my front end. As you can see, I have lots of room with the 16X7.
Eric_Shea
GT Flares and 16x7 and 8
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 26 2013, 12:03 PM) *

GT Flares and 16x7 and 8

Eric, do you mean the green car has, or do you mean that the GT flared cars should use 16X7 and 8?
Eric_Shea
Answering the OPs question.
finchmunoz
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 26 2013, 11:19 AM) *

Off forum in a PM, Finch asked a question that I can't answer specifically. My front wheels are 16X7 911 offset. I have no problem hitting the inner fender. I do have spacers which I haven't used yet. He is wondering just how large a wheel he can put on without having problems with lock-to-lock turning?

Here is my front end. As you can see, I have lots of room with the 16X7.

Or. . . To rephrase this question:

1. If I go for 16x8 on all fours, will I have the same fender clearances at the front and rear? (Without any spacers)

More questions:

Now I have more questions. . . (I think Eric's right on the 16x7 & 8)

2. What offset does the green one have on the front and rear?
3. What tire sizes does the green have?
confused24.gif
finchmunoz

GT Flares and 16x7 and 8

Hi Eric.

Is this yours?

Click to view attachment

What rim sizes are you using?
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2013, 11:40 PM) *

Married to a filipina from Batangas. Stayed in Fort Bonafacia for two weeks and Punta Fuega for a week.

Me too! beerchug.gif
She is from Angeles City!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Nov 27 2013, 10:45 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 25 2013, 11:40 PM) *

Me too! beerchug.gif
She is from Angeles City!

Talaga? You poor guy Jeff... biggrin.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(finchmunoz @ Nov 27 2013, 08:50 AM) *

GT Flares and 16x7 and 8

Hi Eric.

Is this yours?

Click to view attachment

Also what kind of paint was used on the rockers of this yellow gt? It has a nice 'cleanable' sheen to it smile.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Nov 28 2013, 10:30 PM) *

GT Flares and 16x7 and 8

Hi Eric.

Is this yours?

Click to view attachment

Also what kind of paint was used on the rockers of this yellow gt? It has a nice 'cleanable' sheen to it smile.gif

Finger paint. But Eric has really fine feminine fingers so it went on nicely and looks pretty good... av-943.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 29 2013, 01:19 PM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Nov 28 2013, 10:30 PM) *

GT Flares and 16x7 and 8

Hi Eric.

Is this yours?

Finger paint. But Eric has really fine feminine fingers so it went on nicely and looks pretty good... av-943.gif
........ biggrin.gif
MDG
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 26 2013, 03:03 PM) *

GT Flares and 16x7 and 8

Correct. Factory 6, factory flares, 911 offset 16x7 front 16x8 rears

The 'after' pic . . . unsure.gif

Don't try this at home.

Click to view attachment

gothspeed
QUOTE(MDG @ Nov 29 2013, 01:37 PM) *

GT Flares and 16x7 and 8

Don't try this at home.
When did this happen? Is it being parted out or fixed? popcorn[1].gif
MDG
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Nov 29 2013, 10:02 PM) *

GT Flares and 16x7 and 8

Don't try this at home.

Years ago.

This is an 'after . . after' pic.

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Where did he bury his kid? mad.gif

I lock up all the keys these days now that Nicho is 16 blink.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(MDG @ Nov 29 2013, 07:38 PM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Nov 29 2013, 10:02 PM) *

GT Flares and 16x7 and 8

Don't try this at home.

Years ago.

This is an 'after . . after' pic.
what is that red thing doing next the 914? How about more pics of the GT? ..... smile.gif
MDG
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Nov 30 2013, 12:10 AM) *

what is that red thing doing next the 914? How about more pics of the GT? ..... smile.gif

I think I found those pics on the Bird board years ago. I believe there are a few more. If I remember correctly the guy was a doctor I think in Tennessee.

Funny, I remember when the first slant nose 930's started appearing on the streets and everyone just thought they were da bomb! Then the Chalon showed up dry.gif

There's a guy around here with a black factory slant nose just like the red one up there. I see him once or twice every summer driving it. I used to think they were so cool.

Now it kinda looks like a vacuum cleaner to me.

carr914
QUOTE(MDG @ Nov 30 2013, 07:39 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Nov 30 2013, 12:10 AM) *

Funny, I remember when the first slant nose 930's started appearing on the streets and everyone just thought they were da bomb! Then the Chalon showed up dry.gif

There's a guy around here with a black factory slant nose just like the red one up there. I see him once or twice every summer driving it. I used to think they were so cool.

Now it kinda looks like a vacuum cleaner to me.

agree.gif

Here is Craiglist Classic FS in St Pete for $12,000 screwy.gif

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.