Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Intermittent Idiot Light, Impending doom?
boxsterfan
post Dec 9 2013, 11:44 PM
Post #1

914's are kewl

Group: Members
Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

My oil pressure idiot light came on the other day on the way to the 914 meeting at Alice's restaurant. Happened a 3-4 times as we were going through the twisties and would always turn back off.

Today, it happened again but this time driving around San Ramon. However, it came on this time when making a left while driving through a parking lot at about 15-20 miles per hour. And it of course did turn back off just as it had during the drive to Alice's restaurant. I would estimate it is never on for more than 3-5 seconds.

Impending doom? I'm too wiped out tonight, but will double check that I am filled up on oil as my 2.0L does have some leaks.

If my wallet had less leaks so would my 2.0L. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rand
post Dec 10 2013, 12:14 AM
Post #2

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Dec 9 2013, 10:44 PM) *

My oil pressure idiot light came on the other day on the way to the 914 meeting at Alice's restaurant. Happened a 3-4 times as we were going through the twisties and would always turn back off.

Today, it happened again but this time driving around San Ramon. However, it came on this time when making a left while driving through a parking lot at about 15-20 miles per hour. And it of course did turn back off just as it had during the drive to Alice's restaurant. I would estimate it is never on for more than 3-5 seconds.

Impending doom? I'm too wiped out tonight, but will double check that I am filled up on oil as my 2.0L does have some leaks.

If my wallet had less leaks so would my 2.0L. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

I just put a flashing light on my forehead, so everyone knows I am intermittent. Idiot is inferred. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I would think you would check your oil levels before asking about impending doom in front of the world? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Oh, sorry, you are too wiped to pull the dipstick? But you can find the energy to post here? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Just givin you crap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

But.... What was the oil level?
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Dec 10 2013, 12:22 AM
Post #3

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

A leaking or bad oil pressure sensor, low oil level and a grounding sensor wire could cause these symptoms! Check them all before you worry about the motor! My 2.0L would flash the light when hard cornering but not in a parking lot!
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Dec 10 2013, 05:20 PM
Post #4

914's are kewl

Turns out the oil was low. It was just too fickin' cold to head back out to the garage last night to check it.

Anyway, the dipstick showed the oil coming to the point halfway between the bottom fill line and the end of the dipstick. Down about 1 quart I guess. I poured in another quart this morning.

Regarding oil consumption:

1. My car has some oil leaks. Just ask the cardboard box I put under it in the garage.

2. Preferrably, it is little to none, but what are acceptable rates of oil consumption on a 2.0L Type IV? I'm guessing my car went through about 1 quart in 1,500 miles.
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Dec 12 2013, 07:56 PM
Post #5

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

IIRC the recommended max oil consumption is a quart every 600 miles, which is a lot of oil. When in doubt change the oil & filter and cut the filter open. If you see any metal, you've got trouble.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 13 2013, 06:49 AM
Post #6

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

figure out where the leaks are coming from. seepage from the valve covers is prob a result of your valve adjustment.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Dec 13 2013, 10:50 PM
Post #7

914's are kewl

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 13 2013, 04:49 AM) *

figure out where the leaks are coming from. seepage from the valve covers is prob a result of your valve adjustment.

It's not leaking there from what I can tell. Anyway, 1QT oil in 1500 miles is not great but that also does not make it priority #1 to work on yet. See my brakes thread for my next project.
+Quote Post
mrholland2
post Dec 14 2013, 12:18 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 13,531
Region Association: Central California

Any oil leak does NOT count in the 1 quart per 600 miles (or so) max oil consumption standard. It sounds like the leak could be a substantial portion of that.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:40 PM