Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittent Idiot Light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
My oil pressure idiot light came on the other day on the way to the 914 meeting at Alice's restaurant. Happened a 3-4 times as we were going through the twisties and would always turn back off.

Today, it happened again but this time driving around San Ramon. However, it came on this time when making a left while driving through a parking lot at about 15-20 miles per hour. And it of course did turn back off just as it had during the drive to Alice's restaurant. I would estimate it is never on for more than 3-5 seconds.

Impending doom? I'm too wiped out tonight, but will double check that I am filled up on oil as my 2.0L does have some leaks.

If my wallet had less leaks so would my 2.0L. rolleyes.gif
Rand
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Dec 9 2013, 10:44 PM) *

My oil pressure idiot light came on the other day on the way to the 914 meeting at Alice's restaurant. Happened a 3-4 times as we were going through the twisties and would always turn back off.

Today, it happened again but this time driving around San Ramon. However, it came on this time when making a left while driving through a parking lot at about 15-20 miles per hour. And it of course did turn back off just as it had during the drive to Alice's restaurant. I would estimate it is never on for more than 3-5 seconds.

Impending doom? I'm too wiped out tonight, but will double check that I am filled up on oil as my 2.0L does have some leaks.

If my wallet had less leaks so would my 2.0L. rolleyes.gif

I just put a flashing light on my forehead, so everyone knows I am intermittent. Idiot is inferred. laugh.gif

I would think you would check your oil levels before asking about impending doom in front of the world? wink.gif Oh, sorry, you are too wiped to pull the dipstick? But you can find the energy to post here? confused24.gif

Just givin you crap. beerchug.gif

But.... What was the oil level?
Jeffs9146
A leaking or bad oil pressure sensor, low oil level and a grounding sensor wire could cause these symptoms! Check them all before you worry about the motor! My 2.0L would flash the light when hard cornering but not in a parking lot!
boxsterfan
Turns out the oil was low. It was just too fickin' cold to head back out to the garage last night to check it.

Anyway, the dipstick showed the oil coming to the point halfway between the bottom fill line and the end of the dipstick. Down about 1 quart I guess. I poured in another quart this morning.

Regarding oil consumption:

1. My car has some oil leaks. Just ask the cardboard box I put under it in the garage.

2. Preferrably, it is little to none, but what are acceptable rates of oil consumption on a 2.0L Type IV? I'm guessing my car went through about 1 quart in 1,500 miles.
IronHillRestorations
IIRC the recommended max oil consumption is a quart every 600 miles, which is a lot of oil. When in doubt change the oil & filter and cut the filter open. If you see any metal, you've got trouble.
rhodyguy
figure out where the leaks are coming from. seepage from the valve covers is prob a result of your valve adjustment.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 13 2013, 04:49 AM) *

figure out where the leaks are coming from. seepage from the valve covers is prob a result of your valve adjustment.

It's not leaking there from what I can tell. Anyway, 1QT oil in 1500 miles is not great but that also does not make it priority #1 to work on yet. See my brakes thread for my next project.
mrholland2
Any oil leak does NOT count in the 1 quart per 600 miles (or so) max oil consumption standard. It sounds like the leak could be a substantial portion of that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.