Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> rough idle, mystery motor
Seabird
post Dec 10 2013, 10:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,683
Region Association: South East States

Spent some time rebuilding the carbs on the new car and check the timing. Fuel was drain and fresh gas added. A little MMO was used to well whatever MMO is used for; you know its a mystery (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

There was some funky business with the timing and the firing order but that has been resolved now. The spark plugs looked good though I changed them anyway.

Carbs sync up well.

I did not like the low idle so after turning in the speed screw more than appropriate I ordered new idle jets. Tired both 52s and 55s and basically she just lumps along. The idle did go up a little but not much. Here is a quick video of what she sounds like.

I would like the forums input.

video

Regards,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Seabird
post Dec 11 2013, 01:55 PM
Post #2

At lunch I popped over and tested to see if each cylinder was actually firing at idle based on a friends recommendation. Number 3 was not. I pulled the spark plug wire from the distributor and no change to the idling state. Though there is spark. I must be having issues with the idle circuit on that carb. Will pull it and re-clean it when I can get over there for a few hours.

Regards,

+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 11 2013, 02:12 PM
Post #3

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

One of the diagnostic tricks I use when one cylinder isn't pulling its weight is this:
With the engine running start unscrewing the idle jet holder. If the idle comes up as you loosen the jet, there's probably debris in the jet.
If the idle doesn't change - it probably needs a mixture adjustment, or possibly there's debris in the passage from the jet to the carb throat.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 11 2013, 05:41 PM
Post #4

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Valves adjusted properly?
Leaks in the intake all fixed?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Seabird
post Dec 12 2013, 10:33 PM
Post #5

It just came down to a poor job cleaning the carbs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) . Re-cleaned them tonight and presto (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Video

Once I get the A/F gauge installed I will tweak the idle jets and speed a little more. But for the moment this is good.

Regards,
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 06:20 PM