Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best way to add heat to a Subaru conversion?
BIGKAT_83
post Dec 17 2013, 03:27 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Dec 17 2013, 02:48 PM) *

Is this what you used Bob?

I was going to use that one in the Subaru car but it ended up that Im going to use it in my LS1 car.
The unit I have in the blue subaru car is a aftermarket evaperator for a Mustang II
I got it brand new at a Hot rod swap meet a few years ago. It was a hell of a buy less than $50 bucks IIRC.
Trust me this is not a bolt in job.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Bob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
andys
post Dec 17 2013, 04:08 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

QUOTE(badmiata @ Dec 17 2013, 12:34 PM) *

I have seen the under dash ones. Renagade, Pelican and what not sell them but its a whole kit compressor and all. I would be happy with something like that if I could use the compressor from the subaru enigine.

I got my under dash unit from Hot Rod Air (now defunct) and didn't have to buy a "kit." My under dash has heat as well.

Andys

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914skraper
post Dec 17 2013, 04:18 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 16,486
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

So, challenging one of the basic assumptions, it occurred to me that one could surround your Subie exhaust with some stainless sheetmetal, add the heater valve box thing from the 914 heat exchangers, and blow exhaust-heated air through your stock heater system. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Goofy idea? Sure, but it saves running coolant hoses to and fro... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mikesmith
post Dec 17 2013, 05:11 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 16,354
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(badmiata @ Dec 17 2013, 12:34 PM) *

I have seen the under dash ones. Renagade, Pelican and what not sell them but its a whole kit compressor and all. I would be happy with something like that if I could use the compressor from the subaru enigine.

Vintage Air will happily sell you all manner of individual bits and pieces. There are a number of other similarly-sized under-dash units with every combination of heat, cooling and defrost.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 18 2013, 09:47 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I saved all of the SVX hvac system hoping to use it and the wiring harness. Even the dash vents and dash top and stuff just to understand how it worked before....would take a lot of work to integrate into the 914 but will try to figure it out someday. I'd hide the control panel somewhere so you can't see it...under the center console I have to build or the drivers side arm rest....

It's just this part....

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ruby914
post Dec 18 2013, 10:47 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 10,305

QUOTE(914skraper @ Dec 17 2013, 02:18 PM) *

So, challenging one of the basic assumptions, it occurred to me that one could surround your Subie exhaust with some stainless sheetmetal, add the heater valve box thing from the 914 heat exchangers, and blow exhaust-heated air through your stock heater system. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Goofy idea? Sure, but it saves running coolant hoses to and fro... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I tried that and didn't come up with enough useable exhaust. I still think it is a good way to preheat the air like JRust did. For more goofy ideas see my signature.

CptTripps, the Vintage Air Gen ii looks like what I wound up fabricating and put to the FWD left of the motor compartment. It looks like a great unit but the outlet holes look a little small. I used a 3 speed 944 blower and it is working great. It could be a bit more compact.

BIGKAT_83's got (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) for clean. I want to know more...
+Quote Post
JRust
post Dec 18 2013, 11:29 AM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have a unit that came in a Rotary conversion. I think it's similar to the fresh air vent Mark is making. Except it had oil & water filtering through it. It also used the stock fan. Kind of fugly but very functional. Also pretty easy routing as it sits in the engine bay. So short lines going to your motor.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Dec 18 2013, 01:05 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 18 2013, 09:29 AM) *

I have a unit that came in a Rotary conversion. I think it's similar to the fresh air vent Mark is making. Except it had oil & water filtering through it. It also used the stock fan. Kind of fugly but very functional. Also pretty easy routing as it sits in the engine bay. So short lines going to your motor.

With this setup , you are pulling air from the engine compartment , not exactly non-ordorus . Getting fresh air to the inlet would be a little less smelly perhaps , but a easily doable system as it appears .
My $0.02 .....

Jack
+Quote Post
andys
post Dec 18 2013, 01:16 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

Just an opinion on drawing fresh air from the engine compartment on a conversion car. Unlike the stock 914, where fresh air is drawn from the top side of the motor/engine tin through the engine grill (fresh, un-contaminated source with constant flow), drawing air from the engine compartment on a conversion car (non-Porsche) and blowing it into the cabin is potentially dangerous. I'd be mostly concerned with CO, aside from oil fumes, or fuel vapor.

Andys
+Quote Post
JRust
post Dec 18 2013, 05:56 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(andys @ Dec 18 2013, 11:16 AM) *

Just an opinion on drawing fresh air from the engine compartment on a conversion car. Unlike the stock 914, where fresh air is drawn from the top side of the motor/engine tin through the engine grill (fresh, un-contaminated source with constant flow), drawing air from the engine compartment on a conversion car (non-Porsche) and blowing it into the cabin is potentially dangerous. I'd be mostly concerned with CO, aside from oil fumes, or fuel vapor.

Andys

Sorry there is a tube missing in the pics. It attached to the fan & pulled air from a vent in the side of the car. So no engine fumes. Having said that I did not ever use this system. Just liked it's overall concept
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Dec 18 2013, 10:24 PM
Post #31

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Dec 18 2013, 08:47 AM) *

I saved all of the SVX hvac system hoping to use it and the wiring harness. Even the dash vents and dash top and stuff just to understand how it worked before....would take a lot of work to integrate into the 914 but will try to figure it out someday. I'd hide the control panel somewhere so you can't see it...under the center console I have to build or the drivers side arm rest....

It's just this part....

Attached Image

I'm thinking that's the way to go also since I've picked up a low mileage, working in every respect SVX. It would require alot of under dash welding of tabs, etc. for mounting and such but certainly doable. The SVX has quite the alluring dash setup- not the traditional 914 look by any means but I'm not looking for a restoration- I'm looking for a comfy, full functioning coast to coast cruiser. Mid engine, water cooled 300 hp GT car... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
nsyr
post Dec 19 2013, 07:28 AM
Post #32

Because I Can

Member No.: 2,073

The svx evaporator and fan assemblies are too big to fit under a 914 dash.
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Dec 19 2013, 07:47 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 6,787

I have the under dash unit from Renegade.

I'm wondering if it loses some heat running the lines under the car, as it is not real hot. I did wrap the lines with some insulation from Menards to help out.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 19 2013, 08:03 AM
Post #34

Re: the stock SVX unit: They are BIG that's for sure. It's a big cube in stock form and could definitely not sit under the dash comfortably without modifications. My dash will be empty in the middle since I took all the manual heater and fresh air stuff out so there may be room for it (or some other system) to reside partially up inside the dash. I'm so far from doing this though...really just speculating with no actual knowledge at all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
+Quote Post
nsyr
post Dec 19 2013, 10:01 AM
Post #35

Because I Can

Member No.: 2,073

I hear you. I saved all the hvac stuff from my svx, that's how I know. What would be ideal is a unit that could fit in the existing fresh air blower area. That way all the original vents and defroster vents could be used.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Dec 19 2013, 01:07 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(nsyr @ Dec 19 2013, 10:01 AM) *

I hear you. I saved all the hvac stuff from my svx, that's how I know. What would be ideal is a unit that could fit in the existing fresh air blower area. That way all the original vents and defroster vents could be used.

I figured you were ahead of me on this one Andrew. Yeah IDEAL for me would be something you could stuff behind the dash so you couldn't see it and the car just appeared fairly stock using the stock vents as you said. Once you remove the stock fan controls and radio there is quite a bit of room back there (under there...?). Then use electronic controls like the SVX has so it could be controlled somewhat remotely. Easy to say...hard to do.
+Quote Post
okieflyr
post Dec 19 2013, 09:58 PM
Post #37

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

I've used McMark's system for 7+ years now and have found it to be very effective.
I also installed a "T" on one side of it to aid in bleeding the air out of the cooling system.
Modern heat without the burnt oil aroma...
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Mar 6 2014, 01:01 PM
Post #38

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342

I ordered this one today. I'll let you all know what happens when it shows up and I try to fit it in there.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-991102-1/overview/

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Jun 25 2014, 12:25 PM
Post #39

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

the other benefit to AC is that it dehumidifies in the wet months
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 03:22 AM