Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to add heat to a Subaru conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
I would like to add heat and defrost to my Subaru conversion, but I'm not sure the best way to do it. Now, I'm no expert on the ventalation system of these cars, but I was hoping to have something simple like 2 discrete motors. One for the vents on the dash, and another for the defrost.

The stock heat blowers are intact on the car, but I don't believe they're hooked up at all, since the PO had a SB350 installed. That motor is going bye-bye, and I'm not sure the best way to add something to replace it. I don't need fire shooting out of the vents like my Land Rover, just enough to get the windscreen clear and take the edge off of a cool night.

I see a few aftermarket blowers that I can put in-line with the heat tubes, but how should I GET the heat? Is thee a way to do it from the water in the radiator?
bfrymire
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Dec 16 2013, 07:30 PM) *

I would like to add heat and defrost to my Subaru conversion, but I'm not sure the best way to do it. Now, I'm no expert on the ventalation system of these cars, but I was hoping to have something simple like 2 discrete motors. One for the vents on the dash, and another for the defrost.

The stock heat blowers are intact on the car, but I don't believe they're hooked up at all, since the PO had a SB350 installed. That motor is going bye-bye, and I'm not sure the best way to add something to replace it. I don't need fire shooting out of the vents like my Land Rover, just enough to get the windscreen clear and take the edge off of a cool night.

I see a few aftermarket blowers that I can put in-line with the heat tubes, but how should I GET the heat? Is thee a way to do it from the water in the radiator?

How about a hot rod heater? Speedway motors has one...

--brett
bulitt
Do a search under Marks914. He put an oil cooler in the fan blower box and ran coolant through it via a valve.
McMark
I'd look at a motorcycle oil cooler, mounted in front of the tubes in the engine bay and plumbed in the water system. Fabricate a shroud to connect the cooler to the round pipe and put a fan on it. One on each side probably. Wouldn't need a valve in them, IMHO. Just control the fans. And use the stock diverter valves to control direction.
Mike Bellis
I did an oil cooler in the fresh air box. I did a how to here somewhere. I use the stock fav and control the water valve with the dash controls.
Tilly74
For my subie swap I plan to modify my fresh air box and install an a/c evaporator and ...haven't worked out the details yet, but I think my next step is a long day of digging through small vehicle dashboards at a pick-n-pull. The ultimate goal would be functioning heat and a/c through the fresh air box controls. For heat I want to use something like this and direct the heated air into the fresh air box where the factory heat came in from heat exchangers.
BIGKAT_83
Like mine here. Both heat and AC.
Still have to finsh this before next summer
Click to view attachment
sawzall-smiley.gif Bob
Mike Bellis
Here's my heater thread...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...led+guys+bellis

Here's marks914...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=70317&hl=
gryphon68
Considering this myself.

This is where I'm leaning. Please feel free to shoot holes in my theory.

Using a expansion tank with radiator cap as the highest point in my coolant system. With the addition of a couple more inlets and outlets or some fitting tee's you can have a small electric pump circulate water through the heater core branch and return it to the tank.

Heater core and heater core branch lines need to be kept lower than the top of this tank.

Ideally this would probably be mounted on the rear wall of the front trunk.

You could either run one leg of the engine-to-radiator coolant lines through the tank, or what would probably be cleaner would be a large tee in one of the engine-to-radiator coolant lines running to the expansion tank.

IPB Image
DBCooper
Wow, Bob, EXTREMELY sanitary! And you actually carry that broom around? Wow, that's above and beyond. laugh.gif poke.gif

IPB Image

Seriously, that's excellent, are there parts details in one of your threads?

mepstein
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Dec 16 2013, 11:22 PM) *

Click to view attachment
sawzall-smiley.gif Bob

Exactly what I want to do when I build my subie conversion. factory appearance. Looks awesome!
nsyr
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Dec 16 2013, 11:22 PM) *

Click to view attachment
sawzall-smiley.gif Bob

What are you using in there??????
CptTripps
Yeah, I'm waiting for that explanation too! That looks like a hot setup.
Chris H.
Is this what you used Bob?

Click to view attachment

mikesmith
The unit you linked is one of the Vintage Air under-dash units; very different from the one in Bob's pic. The VA guys believe very strongly in recirculate-only setups, none of their units are set up to pull fresh air.

I think we all want to know what he's done there. 8)
Chris H.
Ah OK. I was trolling all his old threads...we'll just wait then!
gryphon68
QUOTE(mikesmith @ Dec 17 2013, 02:54 PM) *

The unit you linked is one of the Vintage Air under-dash units; very different from the one in Bob's pic. The VA guys believe very strongly in recirculate-only setups, none of their units are set up to pull fresh air.

I think we all want to know what he's done there. 8)

That is the picture/link Bob originally posted here.

CptTripps
I'm looking at this, thinking it may work well.

Vintage Air Gen ii

badmiata
I have seen the under dash ones. Renagade, Pelican and what not sell them but its a whole kit compressor and all. I would be happy with something like that if I could use the compressor from the subaru enigine.
ThePaintedMan
Bob's setup is really cool. Would love to find out what it is exactly, but also how he figured out what would work there.

On another note, someone with CAD experience and a 3D printer could probably design something similar, once the proper heater core and fan were identified. idea.gif
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Dec 17 2013, 02:48 PM) *

Is this what you used Bob?

Click to view attachment

I was going to use that one in the Subaru car but it ended up that Im going to use it in my LS1 car.
The unit I have in the blue subaru car is a aftermarket evaperator for a Mustang II
I got it brand new at a Hot rod swap meet a few years ago. It was a hell of a buy less than $50 bucks IIRC.
Trust me this is not a bolt in job.... sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif

Bob
andys
QUOTE(badmiata @ Dec 17 2013, 12:34 PM) *

I have seen the under dash ones. Renagade, Pelican and what not sell them but its a whole kit compressor and all. I would be happy with something like that if I could use the compressor from the subaru enigine.

I got my under dash unit from Hot Rod Air (now defunct) and didn't have to buy a "kit." My under dash has heat as well.

Andys
914skraper
So, challenging one of the basic assumptions, it occurred to me that one could surround your Subie exhaust with some stainless sheetmetal, add the heater valve box thing from the 914 heat exchangers, and blow exhaust-heated air through your stock heater system. welder.gif

Goofy idea? Sure, but it saves running coolant hoses to and fro... smile.gif
mikesmith
QUOTE(badmiata @ Dec 17 2013, 12:34 PM) *

Vintage Air will happily sell you all manner of individual bits and pieces. There are a number of other similarly-sized under-dash units with every combination of heat, cooling and defrost.
Chris H.
I saved all of the SVX hvac system hoping to use it and the wiring harness. Even the dash vents and dash top and stuff just to understand how it worked before....would take a lot of work to integrate into the 914 but will try to figure it out someday. I'd hide the control panel somewhere so you can't see it...under the center console I have to build or the drivers side arm rest....

It's just this part....

Click to view attachment
ruby914
QUOTE(914skraper @ Dec 17 2013, 02:18 PM) *

So, challenging one of the basic assumptions, it occurred to me that one could surround your Subie exhaust with some stainless sheetmetal, add the heater valve box thing from the 914 heat exchangers, and blow exhaust-heated air through your stock heater system. welder.gif

Goofy idea? Sure, but it saves running coolant hoses to and fro... smile.gif

I tried that and didn't come up with enough useable exhaust. I still think it is a good way to preheat the air like JRust did. For more goofy ideas see my signature.

CptTripps, the Vintage Air Gen ii looks like what I wound up fabricating and put to the FWD left of the motor compartment. It looks like a great unit but the outlet holes look a little small. I used a 3 speed 944 blower and it is working great. It could be a bit more compact.

BIGKAT_83's got first.gif for clean. I want to know more...
JRust
I have a unit that came in a Rotary conversion. I think it's similar to the fresh air vent Mark is making. Except it had oil & water filtering through it. It also used the stock fan. Kind of fugly but very functional. Also pretty easy routing as it sits in the engine bay. So short lines going to your motor.
jaxdream
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 18 2013, 09:29 AM) *

I have a unit that came in a Rotary conversion. I think it's similar to the fresh air vent Mark is making. Except it had oil & water filtering through it. It also used the stock fan. Kind of fugly but very functional. Also pretty easy routing as it sits in the engine bay. So short lines going to your motor.

With this setup , you are pulling air from the engine compartment , not exactly non-ordorus . Getting fresh air to the inlet would be a little less smelly perhaps , but a easily doable system as it appears .
My $0.02 .....

Jack
andys
Just an opinion on drawing fresh air from the engine compartment on a conversion car. Unlike the stock 914, where fresh air is drawn from the top side of the motor/engine tin through the engine grill (fresh, un-contaminated source with constant flow), drawing air from the engine compartment on a conversion car (non-Porsche) and blowing it into the cabin is potentially dangerous. I'd be mostly concerned with CO, aside from oil fumes, or fuel vapor.

Andys
JRust
QUOTE(andys @ Dec 18 2013, 11:16 AM) *

Just an opinion on drawing fresh air from the engine compartment on a conversion car. Unlike the stock 914, where fresh air is drawn from the top side of the motor/engine tin through the engine grill (fresh, un-contaminated source with constant flow), drawing air from the engine compartment on a conversion car (non-Porsche) and blowing it into the cabin is potentially dangerous. I'd be mostly concerned with CO, aside from oil fumes, or fuel vapor.

Andys

Sorry there is a tube missing in the pics. It attached to the fan & pulled air from a vent in the side of the car. So no engine fumes. Having said that I did not ever use this system. Just liked it's overall concept
mgp4591
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Dec 18 2013, 08:47 AM) *

I saved all of the SVX hvac system hoping to use it and the wiring harness. Even the dash vents and dash top and stuff just to understand how it worked before....would take a lot of work to integrate into the 914 but will try to figure it out someday. I'd hide the control panel somewhere so you can't see it...under the center console I have to build or the drivers side arm rest....

It's just this part....

Click to view attachment

I'm thinking that's the way to go also since I've picked up a low mileage, working in every respect SVX. It would require alot of under dash welding of tabs, etc. for mounting and such but certainly doable. The SVX has quite the alluring dash setup- not the traditional 914 look by any means but I'm not looking for a restoration- I'm looking for a comfy, full functioning coast to coast cruiser. Mid engine, water cooled 300 hp GT car... aktion035.gif
nsyr
The svx evaporator and fan assemblies are too big to fit under a 914 dash.
partwerks
I have the under dash unit from Renegade.

I'm wondering if it loses some heat running the lines under the car, as it is not real hot. I did wrap the lines with some insulation from Menards to help out.
Chris H.
Re: the stock SVX unit: They are BIG that's for sure. It's a big cube in stock form and could definitely not sit under the dash comfortably without modifications. My dash will be empty in the middle since I took all the manual heater and fresh air stuff out so there may be room for it (or some other system) to reside partially up inside the dash. I'm so far from doing this though...really just speculating with no actual knowledge at all biggrin.gif .
nsyr
I hear you. I saved all the hvac stuff from my svx, that's how I know. What would be ideal is a unit that could fit in the existing fresh air blower area. That way all the original vents and defroster vents could be used.
Chris H.
QUOTE(nsyr @ Dec 19 2013, 10:01 AM) *

I hear you. I saved all the hvac stuff from my svx, that's how I know. What would be ideal is a unit that could fit in the existing fresh air blower area. That way all the original vents and defroster vents could be used.

I figured you were ahead of me on this one Andrew. Yeah IDEAL for me would be something you could stuff behind the dash so you couldn't see it and the car just appeared fairly stock using the stock vents as you said. Once you remove the stock fan controls and radio there is quite a bit of room back there (under there...?). Then use electronic controls like the SVX has so it could be controlled somewhat remotely. Easy to say...hard to do.
okieflyr
I've used McMark's system for 7+ years now and have found it to be very effective.
I also installed a "T" on one side of it to aid in bleeding the air out of the cooling system.
Modern heat without the burnt oil aroma...
CptTripps
I ordered this one today. I'll let you all know what happens when it shows up and I try to fit it in there.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-991102-1/overview/

sixnotfour
the other benefit to AC is that it dehumidifies in the wet months
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.