Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trip Odometer reset knob, can anyone describe how it works?
plas76targa
post Dec 30 2004, 07:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,700
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I can't reset my trip odometer cause it's frozen. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) I've pulled the speedometer and it's going in for refurbishment. I have the cable out and it's soaking in WD40. How's it supposed to work? Simply turning it to reset the trip OD ... or do you pull or push the knob (up or down) then turn it? Are replacement cables and knobs available?

Thanks,
Matt
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bwilless
post Dec 30 2004, 07:14 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 192

You turn it. But don't turn it while driving, it will break your odometer. Ask me how I know.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Dec 30 2004, 07:20 PM
Post #3

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

The cable should turn pretty easy. it drives the gear on the trip odometer. Each of the numbers turns the one next to it until they all match and then you stop it at "0000".
+Quote Post
plas76targa
post Dec 30 2004, 07:51 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,700
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Bwilless - thanks for the 'heads up' on don't reset it while driving. I'll try to avoid that once I get the speedometer back in the car.

Joe - With the speedometer and cable removed I can turn the numbers with the cable and they 'flip' exactly as you describe. My cable must be frozen just where it is attached to the dash board. I can't turn the cable/knob within the 'bolt' that holds the cable on the dash. Perhaps soaking it will clean out the crud in it.

The PO had refurbished the car before selling it. He must have sanded the whole car prior to painting it. There is paint/sanding dust in every crevass of the car. I imagine it's this crud that has caused the trip odometer cable to be frozen.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement cable?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 08:16 AM