Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do you make fog lights independent of low beam?, I want to use my fog lights when high beam is on!
R8CERX
post Dec 26 2013, 06:06 AM
Post #1

2014 New year resolution: To get along with Woody...

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,972
Region Association: Southern California

I know the rationale and background to not have the fog lights come on when high beams are turned on- you ain't supposed to use high beams during fog

But i am interested in:

1- be able to turn on my fog lights without my main pop up lights come up
2-be able to turn my fog lights with high beam on
3-adding an extra pair of off road lights with a possible independent switch

End result I am interested:
Low and high beams remain same with the pop up lights

My fog lights can be turned on independently of the main pop up lights; don't want to have the pop up lights come up if they are not on

Have a third set or a new pair of off-road lights via a dedicated switch

Want to do the above so I still keep originality of car and still be able to put car back with minimum work

Suggestions? Electric Diagrams?
Anyone done this before?
Pictures?

Opinions, ideas, comments, suggestions, help and any other well intentioned and positive feedback appreciated
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
02loftsmoor
post Dec 26 2013, 06:22 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 13,243
Region Association: Southwest Region

There are a couple of kits you can use. Automation?.
+Quote Post
type47
post Dec 26 2013, 06:23 AM
Post #3

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

here is a start (I didn't read the whole thing but seemed to be a start for you)

http://members.rennlist.com/demick/fogrewire.html

+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Dec 26 2013, 07:38 AM
Post #4

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

I use mine as DRLs. The switch turns them on regardless of headlight operation as long as the ignition switch is on. It's a matter of determining which relay controls the fog lights, snipping or unplugging the wire that IIRC comes right off the fuse box and connecting it to an ignition powered source on the fuse box.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Dec 26 2013, 08:36 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

J West makes a Fog Light Module

http://www.jwesteng.com/shop/index.php?id_...roller=product#
+Quote Post
cary
post Dec 26 2013, 09:31 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 26 2013, 06:36 AM) *

Ditto, I have one laying in the tray of winter projects. Looks pretty simple.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Dec 26 2013, 09:50 AM
Post #7

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Fog lights are functionally useless when used with the high beams, and high beams are useless, if not downright dangerous, in foggy conditions. DOT regulations mandate a link to low beams for the fog lights. Oncoming drivers will curse you as you approach with both high beams and fogs illuminated. Properly conducted scientific studies have conclusively PROVEN that using your fog lights as auxiliary/supplemental lighting in conjunction with high beams actually REDUCES the driver's ability to see objects at a distance, something that is VERY important as speed increases. Your eyes are desensitized by the relatively bright light in the foreground, making poorly lit objects at greater distances difficult, if not impossible, to see. Wiring the fogs to work as anything other than low beams is not only illegal, it's dumb. Make that "stupid". Right up there with folks who take flash pictures from the stands at night sporting events. BTW, using driving lights mounted in the bumper is also a waste of time, as the location and angles are all wrong for the purpose.

The Cap'n, got his Krusty refueled yesterday! Thanks, Santa!

Edit: You are allowed TWO pairs of forward facing lights (4 bulb headlight systems count as one pair). If you have main bulbs, fogs, and driving lights, you MUST keep one of those pairs covered. That's why you see the offroaders (and offroad poseurs) with covers or bags on some of the lights when driving on public roads. I'll add a picture in my next post.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Dec 26 2013, 10:04 AM
Post #8

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Attached Image

Poorly positioned, but legally covered, examples of auxiliary lighting as demonstrated on poseurmobiles.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
ripper911
post Dec 26 2013, 10:13 AM
Post #9

corde pulsum tangite

Member No.: 11,654
Region Association: South East States

I like the idea of being able to flash other drivers without having to pop up the headlights, that's about the best use for this idea as far as I can tell.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 26 2013, 10:50 AM
Post #10

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 26 2013, 07:50 AM) *

Fog lights are functionally useless when used with the high beams, and high beams are useless, if not downright dangerous, in foggy conditions. DOT regulations mandate a link to low beams for the fog lights. Oncoming drivers will curse you as you approach with both high beams and fogs illuminated. Properly conducted scientific studies have conclusively PROVEN that using your fog lights as auxiliary/supplemental lighting in conjunction with high beams actually REDUCES the driver's ability to see objects at a distance, something that is VERY important as speed increases. Your eyes are desensitized by the relatively bright light in the foreground, making poorly lit objects at greater distances difficult, if not impossible, to see. Wiring the fogs to work as anything other than low beams is not only illegal, it's dumb. Make that "stupid". Right up there with folks who take flash pictures from the stands at night sporting events. BTW, using driving lights mounted in the bumper is also a waste of time, as the location and angles are all wrong for the purpose.

Edit: You are allowed TWO pairs of forward facing lights (4 bulb headlight systems count as one pair). If you have main bulbs, fogs, and driving lights, you MUST keep one of those pairs covered. That's why you see the offroaders (and offroad poseurs) with covers or bags on some of the lights when driving on public roads. I'll add a picture in my next post.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Drivers using all those lights, and lights improperly aimed (should be aimed at the ground surface), are a nuisance to approaching drivers (blinding them) and creating a safety hazard. Don't do it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Kaduku
post Dec 26 2013, 10:56 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 15,324
Region Association: None

I got the JWest module too. Love it, I now always drive with the fog lights on during the day.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 26 2013, 11:04 AM
Post #12

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

If you do this, there is a high likelihood that your car may blow up and you may end up in hell.
Re wiring lights or replacing lightbulbs with overly powerful off-road only lights that blind other drivers is constantly checked by the authorities in roadside spot checks each and every time a customer complaint if filed, or each time they see lights that are aimed at the oncoming traffic.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
type47
post Dec 26 2013, 11:06 AM
Post #13

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

? answered in above post
+Quote Post
palmer_md
post Dec 26 2013, 11:06 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 12,389
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 26 2013, 08:04 AM) *

Attached Image

Poorly positioned, but legally covered, examples of auxiliary lighting as demonstrated on poseurmobiles.

The Cap'n

Another nice example if you press "home" in the upper right corner of this website. At least it is there for the next few days, not sure when it is going to change.
+Quote Post
R8CERX
post Dec 26 2013, 12:40 PM
Post #15

Oh my.... Oh my.....

This is what I love about our brotherhood.......

The great experience, the well meaning responses, and the expected motherly taps on the head one gets when trying to understand a topic..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

I got to be honest, these nice motherly taps are really why I live for to wake up every morning and keep me glued to this humble and expensive website.... The $19.99 I sent every month to cap'n krusty is worth the smiles I get when I sit in my warm California toilet catching up to the daily updates.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I am now considering putting the lights on my rear bumper for those tailgaters.... Since I already carry my AK-47 on my gun rack just behind my 914-6 seat... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

I do realize the logic and concerns about the angle and strength of the ligths and the nuisance it may imposed on our fellow on coming traffic human beings, but I have seen quite many of our great members with their beautiful teners and I like the looks of the external off-road lights and the ability to also not have my main lights pop up during day driving so I can reduce my drag coefficient and perhaps gain my 0.00076534 in horse power.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Thank you for the vivid advise, links and suggestions..... Can't wait to be in traffic awaiting the cap'n and fellow conspirators...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Note:
All fun aside- thank you for real; I can now check out some ideas and options- I love 914world!! We should have some stickers to demonstrate our addiction...! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
R8CERX
post Dec 26 2013, 12:42 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(ripper911 @ Dec 26 2013, 08:13 AM) *

I like the idea of being able to flash other drivers without having to pop up the headlights, that's about the best use for this idea as far as I can tell.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
R8CERX
post Dec 26 2013, 12:45 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 26 2013, 06:36 AM) *

Great suggestion....
But just read in the fine print it specifically does not work on the 914-6.....rrrrrrrr (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
R8CERX
post Dec 26 2013, 12:47 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(type47 @ Dec 26 2013, 04:23 AM) *

here is a start (I didn't read the whole thing but seemed to be a start for you)

http://members.rennlist.com/demick/fogrewire.html

It is a good start; not sure it works on the -6
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Dec 26 2013, 01:19 PM
Post #19

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 26 2013, 10:50 AM) *

But the hizzle to the shizzle still looks bling Krusty Daddy-O! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/elvira.gif)
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Dec 26 2013, 01:38 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 12,471

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Dec 26 2013, 08:38 AM) *

I use mine as DRLs. The switch turns them on regardless of headlight operation as long as the ignition switch is on. It's a matter of determining which relay controls the fog lights, snipping or unplugging the wire that IIRC comes right off the fuse box and connecting it to an ignition powered source on the fuse box.

I wired mine to come on independantly for use as DRLs AND they still turn off with the hi beams.
No kit is required.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:35 PM