Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you make fog lights independent of low beam?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
R8CERX
I know the rationale and background to not have the fog lights come on when high beams are turned on- you ain't supposed to use high beams during fog

But i am interested in:

1- be able to turn on my fog lights without my main pop up lights come up
2-be able to turn my fog lights with high beam on
3-adding an extra pair of off road lights with a possible independent switch

End result I am interested:
Low and high beams remain same with the pop up lights

My fog lights can be turned on independently of the main pop up lights; don't want to have the pop up lights come up if they are not on

Have a third set or a new pair of off-road lights via a dedicated switch

Want to do the above so I still keep originality of car and still be able to put car back with minimum work

Suggestions? Electric Diagrams?
Anyone done this before?
Pictures?

Opinions, ideas, comments, suggestions, help and any other well intentioned and positive feedback appreciated
confused24.gif
02loftsmoor
There are a couple of kits you can use. Automation?.
type47
here is a start (I didn't read the whole thing but seemed to be a start for you)

http://members.rennlist.com/demick/fogrewire.html

tomeric914
I use mine as DRLs. The switch turns them on regardless of headlight operation as long as the ignition switch is on. It's a matter of determining which relay controls the fog lights, snipping or unplugging the wire that IIRC comes right off the fuse box and connecting it to an ignition powered source on the fuse box.
JawjaPorsche
J West makes a Fog Light Module

http://www.jwesteng.com/shop/index.php?id_...roller=product#
cary
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 26 2013, 06:36 AM) *

Ditto, I have one laying in the tray of winter projects. Looks pretty simple.
Cap'n Krusty
Fog lights are functionally useless when used with the high beams, and high beams are useless, if not downright dangerous, in foggy conditions. DOT regulations mandate a link to low beams for the fog lights. Oncoming drivers will curse you as you approach with both high beams and fogs illuminated. Properly conducted scientific studies have conclusively PROVEN that using your fog lights as auxiliary/supplemental lighting in conjunction with high beams actually REDUCES the driver's ability to see objects at a distance, something that is VERY important as speed increases. Your eyes are desensitized by the relatively bright light in the foreground, making poorly lit objects at greater distances difficult, if not impossible, to see. Wiring the fogs to work as anything other than low beams is not only illegal, it's dumb. Make that "stupid". Right up there with folks who take flash pictures from the stands at night sporting events. BTW, using driving lights mounted in the bumper is also a waste of time, as the location and angles are all wrong for the purpose.

The Cap'n, got his Krusty refueled yesterday! Thanks, Santa!

Edit: You are allowed TWO pairs of forward facing lights (4 bulb headlight systems count as one pair). If you have main bulbs, fogs, and driving lights, you MUST keep one of those pairs covered. That's why you see the offroaders (and offroad poseurs) with covers or bags on some of the lights when driving on public roads. I'll add a picture in my next post.
Cap'n Krusty
Click to view attachment

Poorly positioned, but legally covered, examples of auxiliary lighting as demonstrated on poseurmobiles.

The Cap'n
ripper911
I like the idea of being able to flash other drivers without having to pop up the headlights, that's about the best use for this idea as far as I can tell.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 26 2013, 07:50 AM) *

Fog lights are functionally useless when used with the high beams, and high beams are useless, if not downright dangerous, in foggy conditions. DOT regulations mandate a link to low beams for the fog lights. Oncoming drivers will curse you as you approach with both high beams and fogs illuminated. Properly conducted scientific studies have conclusively PROVEN that using your fog lights as auxiliary/supplemental lighting in conjunction with high beams actually REDUCES the driver's ability to see objects at a distance, something that is VERY important as speed increases. Your eyes are desensitized by the relatively bright light in the foreground, making poorly lit objects at greater distances difficult, if not impossible, to see. Wiring the fogs to work as anything other than low beams is not only illegal, it's dumb. Make that "stupid". Right up there with folks who take flash pictures from the stands at night sporting events. BTW, using driving lights mounted in the bumper is also a waste of time, as the location and angles are all wrong for the purpose.

Edit: You are allowed TWO pairs of forward facing lights (4 bulb headlight systems count as one pair). If you have main bulbs, fogs, and driving lights, you MUST keep one of those pairs covered. That's why you see the offroaders (and offroad poseurs) with covers or bags on some of the lights when driving on public roads. I'll add a picture in my next post.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

Drivers using all those lights, and lights improperly aimed (should be aimed at the ground surface), are a nuisance to approaching drivers (blinding them) and creating a safety hazard. Don't do it.
Kaduku
I got the JWest module too. Love it, I now always drive with the fog lights on during the day.
r_towle
If you do this, there is a high likelihood that your car may blow up and you may end up in hell.
Re wiring lights or replacing lightbulbs with overly powerful off-road only lights that blind other drivers is constantly checked by the authorities in roadside spot checks each and every time a customer complaint if filed, or each time they see lights that are aimed at the oncoming traffic.

smile.gif
type47
? answered in above post
palmer_md
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 26 2013, 08:04 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Poorly positioned, but legally covered, examples of auxiliary lighting as demonstrated on poseurmobiles.

The Cap'n

Another nice example if you press "home" in the upper right corner of this website. At least it is there for the next few days, not sure when it is going to change.
R8CERX
Oh my.... Oh my.....

This is what I love about our brotherhood.......

The great experience, the well meaning responses, and the expected motherly taps on the head one gets when trying to understand a topic..... chair.gif

I got to be honest, these nice motherly taps are really why I live for to wake up every morning and keep me glued to this humble and expensive website.... The $19.99 I sent every month to cap'n krusty is worth the smiles I get when I sit in my warm California toilet catching up to the daily updates.... av-943.gif

I am now considering putting the lights on my rear bumper for those tailgaters.... Since I already carry my AK-47 on my gun rack just behind my 914-6 seat... screwy.gif

I do realize the logic and concerns about the angle and strength of the ligths and the nuisance it may imposed on our fellow on coming traffic human beings, but I have seen quite many of our great members with their beautiful teners and I like the looks of the external off-road lights and the ability to also not have my main lights pop up during day driving so I can reduce my drag coefficient and perhaps gain my 0.00076534 in horse power.... blink.gif

Thank you for the vivid advise, links and suggestions..... Can't wait to be in traffic awaiting the cap'n and fellow conspirators...... poke.gif

Note:
All fun aside- thank you for real; I can now check out some ideas and options- I love 914world!! We should have some stickers to demonstrate our addiction...! aktion035.gif
R8CERX
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Dec 26 2013, 08:13 AM) *

I like the idea of being able to flash other drivers without having to pop up the headlights, that's about the best use for this idea as far as I can tell.

piratenanner.gif
R8CERX
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Dec 26 2013, 06:36 AM) *

Great suggestion....
But just read in the fine print it specifically does not work on the 914-6.....rrrrrrrr hissyfit.gif
R8CERX
QUOTE(type47 @ Dec 26 2013, 04:23 AM) *

here is a start (I didn't read the whole thing but seemed to be a start for you)

It is a good start; not sure it works on the -6
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 26 2013, 10:50 AM) *

But the hizzle to the shizzle still looks bling Krusty Daddy-O! elvira.gif
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Dec 26 2013, 08:38 AM) *

I use mine as DRLs. The switch turns them on regardless of headlight operation as long as the ignition switch is on. It's a matter of determining which relay controls the fog lights, snipping or unplugging the wire that IIRC comes right off the fuse box and connecting it to an ignition powered source on the fuse box.

I wired mine to come on independantly for use as DRLs AND they still turn off with the hi beams.
No kit is required.
R8CERX
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 26 2013, 11:19 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 26 2013, 10:50 AM) *

But the hizzle to the shizzle still looks bling Krusty Daddy-O! elvira.gif

…Please…send him some herbicidal leaves for some tea to un-krust our Cap'n!!

On my tab!

smoke.gif
R8CERX
QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Dec 26 2013, 11:38 AM) *

I wired mine to come on independantly for use as DRLs AND they still turn off with the hi beams.
No kit is required.

Please--spill the beans…. drawings, directions, pictures?

don't want to create more of a fire hazard as has been mentioned above!!

popcorn[1].gif
toolguy
PM sent. . easy to do with no stinking kit. . Involves moving a couple of leads and rewiring the fog relay to operate off the hi beam flasher contacts in the combo switch. .
If you can read a schematic and use a meter it should be a snap.
This is for a SIX / 911 combo turn lever switch. .

Dave
malcolm2
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 26 2013, 09:50 AM) *

BTW, using driving lights mounted in the bumper is also a waste of time, as the location and angles are all wrong for the purpose.

The Cap'n

But Cap'n the 914 round lites in the bumper LOOK SO DAMN COOL! shades.gif

They are a big part of the reason the BUBs are now off of my '75. Had to have the Fogs!
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(R8CERX @ Dec 26 2013, 02:48 PM) *

QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ Dec 26 2013, 11:38 AM) *

No kit is required.

Please--spill the beans…. drawings, directions, pictures?

don't want to create more of a fire hazard as has been mentioned above!!

popcorn[1].gif

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Dec 26 2013, 12:41 PM) *

BTW, using driving lights mounted in the bumper is also a waste of time, as the location and angles are all wrong for the purpose.

The Cap'n

They are a big part of the reason the BUBs are now off of my '75. Had to have the Fogs!

I forgot, "looking good" trumps "seeing good" every time. My bad.

The Cap'n
R8CERX
QUOTE(toolguy @ Dec 26 2013, 12:24 PM) *

PM sent. . easy to do with no stinking kit. . Involves moving a couple of leads and rewiring the fog relay to operate off the hi beam flasher contacts in the combo switch. .
If you can read a schematic and use a meter it should be a snap.
This is for a SIX / 911 combo turn lever switch. .

Dave

Dave--just what I was looking for!!!

Everyone, also thanks for the other links!!!

piratenanner.gif

Cap'n--Looking good will always tromp anything in my elder years!! confused24.gif

As long as no one knows I wear diapers…we are all cool!!! shades.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 26 2013, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Dec 26 2013, 12:41 PM) *

The Cap'n

I forgot, "looking good" trumps "seeing good" every time. My bad.

The Cap'n

So now I can't drive in the RAIN, or at NIGHT or in the FOG. No wonder these cars are on jack stands all the time.

To tell the truth, I think my regular head lights do a decent job. I have even had oncoming cars flash me, cause my high beams are on. I really need a new bulb in the BLUE slot. It is on, but dim. Anyway, I think the crappy GE headlights are good for this daily driver. driving.gif
mrholland2

All this may be true Cap'n, but how can the people with the blinding but legal lights get home without running into everything then? Seriously, the light output from those SOBs is twice blinding.

Juuuust sayin

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 26 2013, 07:50 AM) *

R8CERX
…..SOOOOOOOO…..

MY CAR HAS BEEN CIRCUMCISED!!! sort of! blink.gif

After a few nicks, cuts and soldering--TOOLGUY's suggestion works like a charm!!! smash.gif

But this is not really the great news…… huh.gif

What is amazing, and I keep repeating and reminding everyone of this…. the great quality of people that you find in our community! WTF.gif

I know of many of you, I know some better than others, I have heard of some, and I have seen some by their words and typings on the blog…. while one in specific tried to have something extra with me (Woodruff….) …a different story for a different time..…. sheeplove.gif

We all come from different places, some from third world countries such as Canada, from states that allow for my AK-47 to be hanged in the gun rack on the back of my 914 window, from doctors (is HE really a doctor?? confused24.gif ), nurses, graphic artists, technicians, business owners, McDonalds to Wendys….. Rich or Poor and those below poor (like me)--with attitudes of super knowledge and lack it, and those that dont brag about it yet they share their knowledge with their fellow car enthusiasts…. we are a microcosm of the real world out there…. great deals by shady characters to bad deals from great people--you never know…but I am once more convinced in the positive nature of human kindness….

Dont get me wrong--I still love the lively nay sayers about any one topic--as this information is also critical to making good decisions- So I applaud the strong characters with their strong positions…. it is what makes this forum a great asset to the TEENER world! driving.gif

TOOLGUY reminded of the positive nature of our group-- smilie_pokal.gif
Thank you for your time, experience, humbleness and to set me up with not just the wiring diagram, but practically doing the work on my car! Your attention to detail, craftsmanship in getting the wiring sorted out so that I can now blind Cap'n Krusty and any poor soul that my heart desires, will make me now a renegade of the Law as I shall now consider myself.

WIth this message, I want to wish you all, a HAPPY NEW YEAR, and to remind you, that "a spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down!!!"…..!

Cheers to all! beer.gif

R8CER X
malcolm2
Finishing up this little project. I got to wiring the lights and switch today. The factory did me a big favor. I have wiring to the lights from the relay (white/yellow) in the front trunk,

I have the relay, I have wiring from the relay to the fog light switch(Gry/red) under the dash. and wiring from the headlight switch to the fog light switch (blk/blu). I needed to add a wire from the flasher to the fog light switch (brown) just need to connect them. now they work as they came from the factory. I might tinker with the light operation some before I mount everything.

I had trouble with switch removal from the dash, but these guys answered my dumb question. Switches just hang down and make it easy to plug wires in if you remove them.
dash switch removal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.