Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Light weight doors, Show me what ya got
Woody
post Dec 26 2013, 01:27 PM
Post #1

Sandbox Rabblerouser and head toilet scrubber

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,530
Region Association: Southwest Region

I am still running the full impact beam 1975 doors on my car. I need to take another 100 pounds out of the car and end up around 1750 for the engine I'm building. I picked up another set of 75 doors and intend to lighten, swiss cheese, and butcher them as much as possible. I also intend to go with lexan all around. I also am considering re-skinning the doors with fiberglass while using a swiss cheesed door frame. So let me see what y'all got. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Seabird
post Dec 26 2013, 01:46 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,683
Region Association: South East States

I have a set of CF doors I am considering selling. Building my car to HSR/SVRA rules and they are not allowed. Came on the car when I bought it.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/dl.dropboxusercontent.com-16683-1388087175.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
914werke
post Dec 26 2013, 01:57 PM
Post #3

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey Miguel is that a real LE?
Do you have more photos of the doors ? Id be interested.

You should post a pic or to for the Laverda as well!
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 26 2013, 02:22 PM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

17lbs. No pictures with me today. But pictures in my build thread.
+Quote Post
Woody
post Dec 26 2013, 06:15 PM
Post #5

I may be interested in those carbon doors. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
Woody
post Dec 26 2013, 06:16 PM
Post #6

I may be interested in those carbon doors. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Dec 26 2013, 06:39 PM
Post #7

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I have early (no beam) factory doors, no windows, no interior latch releases, no locks. Kept factory outer handles. Thin ABS door panels with aluminum caps. I could gut further but have not found a need thus far. Car is already borderline too light for POC rules.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Woody
post Dec 26 2013, 06:53 PM
Post #8

I'm going to run in SCCA XP next year. I'm building a 2414 /4. Minimum weight is 1731# I'm around 1850 right now. I think its a doable number. I trailer it to events but I'd like to keep it street legal for the most part. Keep in mind I'm in Texas and do my own state inspections so I'm not too concerned with the street legal part.
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 26 2013, 07:10 PM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

That's a very obtainable weight with a 4 cylinder. We are 1826lbs wet weight, but the -6 weighs 150 more.

It will be a creative definition of street legal though
+Quote Post
carr914
post Dec 26 2013, 07:40 PM
Post #10

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

Attached Image
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 26 2013, 10:13 PM
Post #11

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

For the money, cut it like TC has.....everything.
Should net you quite a few lbs.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 27 2013, 02:50 AM
Post #12

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

I went from 64 lbs each to 20 lbs each with these, left extra material on em' for stiffness (others have done better than that with more hacking).Started with early doors W/O beam. Got the car down to under 1725. (a 6 cylinder). .....

Caar's pipe insulation on that cage is not SFI approved

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Seabird
post Dec 27 2013, 12:26 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 16,683

QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 26 2013, 04:16 PM) *

Carbon Doors Picutre Album

Here are some pictures I snapped during my lunch break. I can't roll that car out at the moment, its on jack stands, my apologies for the yellowed lighting effect.

I picked up some replacement doors that I will be cutting up and repainting so I dont need these. They are apparently not been made any more, or at least, I have not been able to find someone advertising CF 914 doors. The shop that built the car for the PO said they were GT somethings.

They are at least 8 years old. The car spent those years in a guys garage so the clear coat is not faded or hazed over but there are a few nicks and scratches. They would do well with a buffing.

Miguel
+Quote Post
Randal
post Dec 27 2013, 03:05 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Seabird @ Dec 27 2013, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 26 2013, 04:16 PM) *

Carbon Doors Picutre Album

Here are some pictures I snapped during my lunch break. I can't roll that car out at the moment, its on jack stands, my apologies for the yellowed lighting effect.

I picked up some replacement doors that I will be cutting up and repainting so I dont need these. They are apparently not been made any more, or at least, I have not been able to find someone advertising CF 914 doors. The shop that built the car for the PO said they were GT somethings.

They are at least 8 years old. The car spent those years in a guys garage so the clear coat is not faded or hazed over but there are a few nicks and scratches. They would do well with a buffing.

Miguel

How much do the CF doors weigh?
+Quote Post
Randal
post Dec 27 2013, 03:12 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 26 2013, 11:27 AM) *

I am still running the full impact beam 1975 doors on my car. I need to take another 100 pounds out of the car and end up around 1750 for the engine I'm building. I picked up another set of 75 doors and intend to lighten, swiss cheese, and butcher them as much as possible. I also intend to go with lexan all around. I also am considering re-skinning the doors with fiberglass while using a swiss cheesed door frame. So let me see what y'all got. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I can't remember how much mine weigh, but something like 12 or 13lbs. If you bolt them on you'll save a bunch more weight as the hinges/door latches are HEAVY.

Or you can keep the hinges and just cut everything out and then use ss wire or rod to hold the shape of the door. Windows of any kind aren't a requirement with an XP car, but maybe you need lexan for Porsche club events?

I have to ballast up to make 1731#. I just add my heavy fire extinguisher (required for hilll climbs) and a couple of weights where the passenger seat used to be to run legal weight XP.

+Quote Post
Woody
post Dec 27 2013, 03:52 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 27 2013, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 26 2013, 11:27 AM) *

I can't remember how much mine weigh, but something like 12 or 13lbs. If you bolt them on you'll save a bunch more weight as the hinges/door latches are HEAVY.

Or you can keep the hinges and just cut everything out and then use ss wire or rod to hold the shape of the door. Windows of any kind aren't a requirement with an XP car, but maybe you need lexan for Porsche club events?

I have to ballast up to make 1731#. I just add my heavy fire extinguisher (required for hilll climbs) and a couple of weights where the passenger seat used to be to run legal weight XP.

I will be running lexan and keeping the car semi street legal. It's a requirement of our local PCA.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 07:48 PM