Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Light weight doors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Woody
I am still running the full impact beam 1975 doors on my car. I need to take another 100 pounds out of the car and end up around 1750 for the engine I'm building. I picked up another set of 75 doors and intend to lighten, swiss cheese, and butcher them as much as possible. I also intend to go with lexan all around. I also am considering re-skinning the doors with fiberglass while using a swiss cheesed door frame. So let me see what y'all got. popcorn[1].gif
Seabird
I have a set of CF doors I am considering selling. Building my car to HSR/SVRA rules and they are not allowed. Came on the car when I bought it.

IPB Image
914werke
Hey Miguel is that a real LE?
Do you have more photos of the doors ? Id be interested.

You should post a pic or to for the Laverda as well!
brant
17lbs. No pictures with me today. But pictures in my build thread.
Woody
I may be interested in those carbon doors. drooley.gif
Woody
campbellcj
I have early (no beam) factory doors, no windows, no interior latch releases, no locks. Kept factory outer handles. Thin ABS door panels with aluminum caps. I could gut further but have not found a need thus far. Car is already borderline too light for POC rules.
Woody
I'm going to run in SCCA XP next year. I'm building a 2414 /4. Minimum weight is 1731# I'm around 1850 right now. I think its a doable number. I trailer it to events but I'd like to keep it street legal for the most part. Keep in mind I'm in Texas and do my own state inspections so I'm not too concerned with the street legal part.
brant
That's a very obtainable weight with a 4 cylinder. We are 1826lbs wet weight, but the -6 weighs 150 more.

It will be a creative definition of street legal though
carr914
Click to view attachment
r_towle
For the money, cut it like TC has.....everything.
Should net you quite a few lbs.
J P Stein
I went from 64 lbs each to 20 lbs each with these, left extra material on em' for stiffness (others have done better than that with more hacking).Started with early doors W/O beam. Got the car down to under 1725. (a 6 cylinder). .....

Caar's pipe insulation on that cage is not SFI approved
Seabird
QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 26 2013, 04:16 PM) *

Carbon Doors Picutre Album

Here are some pictures I snapped during my lunch break. I can't roll that car out at the moment, its on jack stands, my apologies for the yellowed lighting effect.

I picked up some replacement doors that I will be cutting up and repainting so I dont need these. They are apparently not been made any more, or at least, I have not been able to find someone advertising CF 914 doors. The shop that built the car for the PO said they were GT somethings.

They are at least 8 years old. The car spent those years in a guys garage so the clear coat is not faded or hazed over but there are a few nicks and scratches. They would do well with a buffing.

Miguel
Randal
QUOTE(Seabird @ Dec 27 2013, 10:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 26 2013, 04:16 PM) *

Carbon Doors Picutre Album

Here are some pictures I snapped during my lunch break. I can't roll that car out at the moment, its on jack stands, my apologies for the yellowed lighting effect.

I picked up some replacement doors that I will be cutting up and repainting so I dont need these. They are apparently not been made any more, or at least, I have not been able to find someone advertising CF 914 doors. The shop that built the car for the PO said they were GT somethings.

They are at least 8 years old. The car spent those years in a guys garage so the clear coat is not faded or hazed over but there are a few nicks and scratches. They would do well with a buffing.

Miguel

How much do the CF doors weigh?
Randal
QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 26 2013, 11:27 AM) *

I am still running the full impact beam 1975 doors on my car. I need to take another 100 pounds out of the car and end up around 1750 for the engine I'm building. I picked up another set of 75 doors and intend to lighten, swiss cheese, and butcher them as much as possible. I also intend to go with lexan all around. I also am considering re-skinning the doors with fiberglass while using a swiss cheesed door frame. So let me see what y'all got. popcorn[1].gif

I can't remember how much mine weigh, but something like 12 or 13lbs. If you bolt them on you'll save a bunch more weight as the hinges/door latches are HEAVY.

Or you can keep the hinges and just cut everything out and then use ss wire or rod to hold the shape of the door. Windows of any kind aren't a requirement with an XP car, but maybe you need lexan for Porsche club events?

I have to ballast up to make 1731#. I just add my heavy fire extinguisher (required for hilll climbs) and a couple of weights where the passenger seat used to be to run legal weight XP.

Woody
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 27 2013, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Woody @ Dec 26 2013, 11:27 AM) *

I can't remember how much mine weigh, but something like 12 or 13lbs. If you bolt them on you'll save a bunch more weight as the hinges/door latches are HEAVY.

Or you can keep the hinges and just cut everything out and then use ss wire or rod to hold the shape of the door. Windows of any kind aren't a requirement with an XP car, but maybe you need lexan for Porsche club events?

I have to ballast up to make 1731#. I just add my heavy fire extinguisher (required for hilll climbs) and a couple of weights where the passenger seat used to be to run legal weight XP.

I will be running lexan and keeping the car semi street legal. It's a requirement of our local PCA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.